All Points East 2023

gfa

On 7/6/2023 at 9:35 AM, evilduck said:

Last year the bands started about 2pm on Friday, so it probably opens around then

That is what I was thinking but I checked my tix and it has doors for 3pm. I looked at my tix last year for Gorillaz and it had doors at 1pm and the first acts on were 2pm and 2.15pm. That will make the clashes worse as they squeeze all those bands in during a tighter time frame.

I'm going for the day rather than just for The Strokes (seen them a few times before, good but not a massive fan though) so it's gonna be a clusterf**k when they announce times as I'm hoping to see Black Midi, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Girl In Red, Be Your Own Pet (I saw them earlier this year, they still have it!), Amyl & The Sniffers, Hotwax, Warmduscher, Julie and Picture Parlour. So basically I want to see EVERYONE apart from The Walkmen and Angel Olsen. lol

I won't post them in case anyone doesn't want to see in advance, but the Strokes setlists coming out of their shows in Hong Kong and Thailand is looking very much to my taste. Always gonna miss a few songs off it, but if the APE shows were identical, I'd be pretty thrilled. 

Really enjoyed exploring the undercard too. Julie, Highschool and Picture Parlour all on my list now too. 

2 hours ago, gregory said:

This special announcement got 6 likes on Facebook;

IMG_5072.thumb.png.6b9f266fdfa5a153abff3e5ff83fbf1c.png

There seems to be hardly any engagement on any of their posts on social. On Instagram, most things are picking up what looks to be a few dozen likes, at most. 

Its very strange though. We're only 3-4 weeks out and they're still going with generic posts rather than new announcements, or even details like site maps etc. 

"who is going to see barbie this weekend?" with a picture of Haim, something about a creative writing competition for children, something about photography in the park, and "happy birthday stormzy" are just a few of the recent highlights... 

Whereas the additions to the Strokes day had a few hundred likes by the looks of it. I know not everything is gonna pop but it's really flat in terms of drumming up anticipation IMO. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, ConfidenceMan said:

There seems to be hardly any engagement on any of their posts on social. On Instagram, most things are picking up what looks to be a few dozen likes, at most. 

Its very strange though. We're only 3-4 weeks out and they're still going with generic posts rather than new announcements, or even details like site maps etc. 

"who is going to see barbie this weekend?" with a picture of Haim, something about a creative writing competition for children, something about photography in the park, and "happy birthday stormzy" are just a few of the recent highlights... 

Whereas the additions to the Strokes day had a few hundred likes by the looks of it. I know not everything is gonna pop but it's really flat in terms of drumming up anticipation IMO. 

it's a crap festival where people have gotten tickets for free and the sound is bad. line ups have been shocking this year also.

I'm not unhappy with the lineup on the Yeah Yeah Yeahs day (mainly cos the YYYs alone is almost enough!) and I'm happy to lean into the whole nostalgia trip, but across the board I think festival lineups are flagging and it's not COVID or inflation - it's mainly market saturation.

There are too many mid-sized festivals, so it's the same acts going round and round. A few will go under, which is sad, and the market will correct. It happens every 7-8 years.

What doesn't have a good reason is how awful all the festivals have been this year on comms - not doing the easy, cheap (or even free!) stuff to inform and engage fans and keep us happy. Helping build excitement and sense of fun helps the whole experience feel better (and makes us more forgiving too, if we feel the organisers are actually looking to engage and empathise with fans rather than just seeing us suckers who bought tickets and will hopefully buy expensive beer and hotdogs).

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, european_son said:

I'm not unhappy with the lineup on the Yeah Yeah Yeahs day (mainly cos the YYYs alone is almost enough!) and I'm happy to lean into the whole nostalgia trip, but across the board I think festival lineups are flagging and it's not COVID or inflation - it's mainly market saturation.

There are too many mid-sized festivals, so it's the same acts going round and round. A few will go under, which is sad, and the market will correct. It happens every 7-8 years.

What doesn't have a good reason is how awful all the festivals have been this year on comms - not doing the easy, cheap (or even free!) stuff to inform and engage fans and keep us happy. Helping build excitement and sense of fun helps the whole experience feel better (and makes us more forgiving too, if we feel the organisers are actually looking to engage and empathise with fans rather than just seeing us suckers who bought tickets and will hopefully buy expensive beer and hotdogs).

Agree with all of this. 

I'm happy with the lineup of the Strokes day, I'm not bothered with the others but I'm not attending so that's fine. 

But it does feel as though they've just gone with a giant shrug emoji on the social media build side now. 

On 7/23/2023 at 4:22 PM, Pateen said:

First time heading to this.

Used to go to ones in Clapham common and Hyde park pub the sound was pretty atrocious. The sound at last years wide awake for Bicep etc was pretty good.

Can anyway say what the sound is like for All Points East?

Wouldn't hold your breath on it being good

11 hours ago, ConfidenceMan said:

But it does feel as though they've just gone with a giant shrug emoji on the social media build side now. 

they probably saw how shite their lineups are tbf

3 hours ago, 1986 said:

I've been to 4 separate days to this over the years and have never had any complaints about the sound.*

*Wasn't at The Strokes where I gather most of the complaints came from.

I had zero sound issues when I went previously too, but also missed the Strokes day last time. 

I can't see there being any cheap/free tickets for the first three events. Strokes at ape and Field Day always sell well and there's no reason to suspect Stormzy won't. Still almost a month until the weaker (in my opinion) lineup days and it's only just past payday. Not sure why they'd give hugely discounted tickets at this stage. We're a week away at least before that if it comes to that. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, collectivisedfarming said:

I can't see there being any cheap/free tickets for the first three events. Strokes at ape and Field Day always sell well and there's no reason to suspect Stormzy won't. Still almost a month until the weaker (in my opinion) lineup days and it's only just past payday. Not sure why they'd give hugely discounted tickets at this stage. We're a week away at least before that if it comes to that. 

they came mid july last year (o2 half price)

3 hours ago, collectivisedfarming said:

I’ve got my eyes on the Haim/Tove Lo day 

Just now, Johndenis said:

Have been to several of these, the sound is fine unless you stand up the back obsessing over whether the sound is off 🙂

Quite a severe drop in quality of the line ups though, with possible exception of the Strokes day 

Couldn't agree more on both. Sound is fine. Line ups are getting not fine.

44 minutes ago, Johndenis said:

Have been to several of these, the sound is fine unless you stand up the back obsessing over whether the sound is off 🙂

Quite a severe drop in quality of the line ups though, with possible exception of the Strokes day 

The Strokes 2019 was unforgiveable. Other days have had merely 'fine' sound but it was basically unlistenable where we were and we moved about.