All Points East 2023

gfa

The National was empty last year and i had a great time! sure i will at Haim if i go....rather it not sell well....didnt have to queue for anything once 

(they also dont give a way free tickets on mass anymore i dont think) but 02 will probably do bogof tickets again 

2 hours ago, pryce said:

The National was empty last year and i had a great time! sure i will at Haim if i go....rather it not sell well....didnt have to queue for anything once 

(they also dont give a way free tickets on mass anymore i dont think) but 02 will probably do bogof tickets again 

They will with Haim and Jungle headlining lol

4 hours ago, adequate8 said:

These split up and formed a new band.

That new band is headlining another day with Folamour, Pink Pantheress, Badbadnotgood, Nia Archives and a few others. 

Interesting but there’s no sub on that list.

Who are you expecting on the second line?

28 minutes ago, sadimmock said:

Maybe, but would fit well for the colossal amount of money that the sponsors pay into this festival. 

they've been going off these give tickets away days in recent years, can't see it or maybe co-headline

If the Stormzy day hasn't sold out yet, can't really see Haim doing that great at all. I don't mind them, but seems a bit of reach for them and that undercard shifting that many at full price (even if it is a semi-decent lineup).

Is the Jungle day for APE? Would love to see them again!

3 minutes ago, xxialac said:

In fairness there's still half the year left for it to sell out.

Oh yeah, I'm sure his day will sell out, there's no doubt about that, especially once the undercard gets added - but was expecting it be slightly faster with how well his 3 dates at The O2 did.

Just glad someone I like is playing on the Monday. Haim will be a nice way to finish the weekend off after Victorious, although can’t see myself rushing back early to catch that undercard. It does not scream, must see.

Surely, they plan to add a much bigger name in as sub other then Girl in Red?

So I looked at the Christine and the Queens 2019 day, which at first seemed in a similar boat to the HAIM day. In the second announcement they added James Blake (Who was the sub) and Kamasi Washington (who was pretty high up) so I'm guessing the same will probably happen here? 

14 hours ago, stanh said:

If the Stormzy day hasn't sold out yet, can't really see Haim doing that great at all. I don't mind them, but seems a bit of reach for them and that undercard shifting that many at full price (even if it is a semi-decent lineup).

I don't think APE days are meant or even expected to be equal in terms of tickets sold. There are many reasons why a smaller headliner might be a good decision (fees, sponsors, press reviews, diversity). Basically I would wait to see the final lineup to comment... but I have to agree that publishing thin undercards is a bit odd. We are also at a stage where the August London venue listing is probably close to final(?) and vacations are being booked so the wait is a bit surprising.

Personally I'm waiting on US-band Karate, who are playing a Spanish show on 23 August, but have not announced any UK date yet. It is becoming less and less likely that APE will have a 90s indie day, for which there is probably no credible headliner (well, Bjork and PJ Harvey have been named but I really doubt they are on the market).

Edited by emmanuel

Not being funny but surely Fleet Foxes, who subbed The National last year, are a bigger name than Jungle? Or at least the same size? Same can be said for the likes of Caribou, Idles and Michael Kiwanuka being a similar size? Whack Jungle on to sub New Order or someone, that'd be mega

6 minutes ago, xxialac said:

The information on Jungle and the other names seemed so specific that I'm now inclined to believe it, even though on paper it makes no sense to book a headliner that can't fill an 8,000 person venue.

Agreed. Back in 2016 I saw LCD Soundsystem play Victoria Park and Jungle were main support then, which I thought was a bit of a stretch.

I must confess it’s not really my type of music but surely a headline slot here would be an absolute catastrophe?

32 minutes ago, Guy Honeymoon said:

The lineups this year seem quite patchy.

Some decent bands but not particularly exciting line ups. It's lacking cohesion.

I'm wondering whether the main booker has left and the rest of the staff who are left are trying to scramble around to book acts. 

They looked absolutely brilliant for my tastes in the year that was scrapped for Covid. Major shame…

13 hours ago, Guy Honeymoon said:

The lineups this year seem quite patchy.

Some decent bands but not particularly exciting line ups. It's lacking cohesion.

I'm wondering whether the main booker has left and the rest of the staff who are left are trying to scramble around to book acts. 

I just put it down to competition.

There isn't a single festival in Europe that has a real top level, mind-blowing line up for me this summer. Lots of them are very good, lots of them are very inconsistent, and lots of them have great acts and some very perplexing ones alongside them (I'm gonna say Calvin Harris at the Primavera top line here alongside some very good bands) 

I'm happy with the Strokes day, field day is good, Stormzy day will probably be good. Haim isn't my bag and I think it looks quite weak in the undercard, and while I like Jungle, if they're announced as a headline act, I'll be quite surprised if it's a really successful day. 

2 hours ago, ConfidenceMan said:

I just put it down to competition.

There isn't a single festival in Europe that has a real top level, mind-blowing line up for me this summer. Lots of them are very good, lots of them are very inconsistent, and lots of them have great acts and some very perplexing ones alongside them (I'm gonna say Calvin Harris at the Primavera top line here alongside some very good bands) 

I'm happy with the Strokes day, field day is good, Stormzy day will probably be good. Haim isn't my bag and I think it looks quite weak in the undercard, and while I like Jungle, if they're announced as a headline act, I'll be quite surprised if it's a really successful day. 

I think Field Day book the acts themselves for their day, which is the day with the most cohesive line up. 

The rest of the days feel incomplete. I know what you are saying, not a huge amount of bands touring this summer but when you company this summer's line up with previous years something seems different.

32 minutes ago, Guy Honeymoon said:

I think Field Day book the acts themselves for their day, which is the day with the most cohesive line up. 

The rest of the days feel incomplete. I know what you are saying, not a huge amount of bands touring this summer but when you company this summer's line up with previous years something seems different.

Didn't realise about Field Day, that's interesting.

I'd say the only one that really sticks out as odd on the Strokes day is Angel Olsen (she's good but tonally a bit different I'd have thought) the rest of that line up is pretty solid and YYYs subbed before to LCD Soundsystem at this same fest, plus amyl & the sniffers, hot wax etc look pretty exciting. I'm expecting some good additions over the summer to these existing bills too as it does seem smaller than other years, but it's early days yet. 

I'm happy to concede on this when we have the full line up for the other days if it all seems messy, but as it is, I think things are shaping up in a pretty decent way, in the context of first announcements. 

There are plenty of headline level bands touring but the UK has an awful lot of festivals now. It just makes it trickier for one or two events to snag everyone. I mean, every one of the headline acts at reading & Leeds could've headlined a day here but are obviously booked elsewhere. Same goes for a lot of the other big festivals around the UK.

The line ups at Sziget, Rock en Seine etc don't show much variety either really. 

There's a bit of a dearth of headline level acts coming through. It's been this way for ages, really. And it's emphasised when they stick Haim on the top of a ball and we're all scratching our heads 😂

1 hour ago, ConfidenceMan said:

There's a bit of a dearth of headline level acts coming through. It's been this way for ages, really. And it's emphasised when they stick Haim on the top of a ball and we're all scratching our heads 😂

I do wonder why people here (and possibly APE) insist on big headliners? If they returned to the smaller capacity and headliners of the Field Day era, I'd be very happy! However, in the Field Day era they had a strong undercard shared with Primavera, and now that has become patchy as well.