Taylor swift

brettredmayne

Just now, CaledonianGonzo said:

If I was scratching about after someone I was banking on fell through and Guns & Roses came available as a Plan B then I'd be pretty chuffed.

Yeah this whole idea that GnR are a dreadful pitiful headliner that drags the entire top row down is hilarious. Literally one of the biggest and most recognisable rock bands ever with a huge array of widely known songs. This isn’t Ash stepping in at the last minute to headline after playing way down the bill earlier in the weekend. 

4 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

If I was scratching about after someone I was banking on fell through and Guns & Roses came available as a Plan B then I'd be pretty chuffed.

I'm with you, and it's obvs just personal opinion, but G'n'R sitting alongside AM and Eminem...is that really the best that the biggest festival in the World can muster?

My t-shirt collection might be missing a year..... 

2 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Yeah this whole idea that GnR are a dreadful pitiful headliner that drags the entire top row down is hilarious. Literally one of the biggest and most recognisable rock bands ever with a huge array of widely known songs. This isn’t Ash stepping in at the last minute to headline after playing way down the bill earlier in the weekend. 

I tried to warm myself up a bit for GnR by looking at some recent shows but my God did watching that last Download performance make it worse… 

That crowd looked as bored as the band on stage. And the ugly ass looking stage production, oof. 

Edited by misterplow

1 minute ago, FloorFiller said:

Something for the 'they should stop chasing trends / it's a rock festival not a pop festival / I want to bounce up and down with Huey Morgan / there's no edginess anymore' demographic.

1 minute ago, misterplow said:

I tried to warm myself up a bit for GnR by looking at some recent shows but my God did watching that last Download performance make it worse… 

That crowd looked as bored as the band on stage. And the ugly ass looking stage production, oof. 

In terms of their popularity and their catalogue they're as good a booking as any, more or less.

What actually goes down during the evening itself is an entirely different question.

I properly despise G&R. Growing up in a small town in the late 80s/early 90s, if you were a little bit alternative, if you were a little bit different, if you were one of Pulp's Mis-Shapes, then it was always a fucking arsehole in a G&R T-shirt that made your life horrible when you went to the boozer.

7 minutes ago, parsonjack said:

I'm with you, and it's obvs just personal opinion, but G'n'R sitting alongside AM and Eminem...is that really the best that the biggest festival in the World can muster?

My t-shirt collection might be missing a year..... 

Yes hardly a lineup that screams festival of contemporary music. 

4 minutes ago, Mardy said:

I properly despise G&R. Growing up in a small town in the late 80s/early 90s, if you were a little bit alternative, if you were a little bit different, if you were one of Pulp's Mis-Shapes, then it was always a fucking arsehole in a G&R T-shirt that made your life horrible when you went to the boozer.

I know what you're saying.  Even as a fan of sleazy glam rock'n'rollI (Stones, Stooges, Bowie, Velvets etc) I wasn't particularly a fan at the time - but in hindsight their big tunes have held up pretty well - and a couple of them are all timers.

I'm Guns-curious. I'd take them over the likes of RHCP or Green Day.

Edited by CaledonianGonzo

26 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

I think no one is disputing that. They are disputing GNR next to the two others.

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, MK1 said:

Thank you for the update!! Too bad we will have to wait untill summer 2024.

For transparency I do a bit of work for stadiums and a work contact of mine said that a few artists were circling dates for some UK stadiums. I heard Beyoncé and Taylor were putting down holds (but Taylor was putting them down under a codename to keep it quiet).

If it turns out that it’s not for this summer then I can only imagine she was getting them down for next summer. 

I wish there was a way to dig up some of my old posts, because I shared the news about Beyoncé way over a year ago.

1 minute ago, Matt42 said:

For transparency I do a bit of work for stadiums and a work contact of mine said that a few artists were circling dates for some UK stadiums. I heard Beyoncé and Taylor were putting down holds (but Taylor was putting them down under a codename to keep it quiet).

If it turns out that it’s not for this summer then I can only imagine she was getting them down for next summer. 

I wish there was a way to dig up some of my old posts, because I shared the news about Beyoncé way over a year ago.

I remember you posting about Beyoncé, can vouch for that. You also posted about the midnights alias booking a few months back too.

34 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

I think the issue for a lot of people is that it's not "new" enough. It's like when people only watch films post-2000 and have no idea what a Pulp Fiction is. 

16 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

I think no one is disputing that. They are disputing GNR next to the two others.

Next to Arctic Monkeys and Elton or Eminem? Ginormous set of headliners, even if it isn’t the most forward thinking set that we’ve come to expect from Glastonbury as of late. This basically just boils down to Glastonbury setting an insane standard that isn’t feasibly possibly to uphold year on year; just be thankful for those ridiculous dream-like sets of headliners when we do get them. 

5 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Swifties on Reddit have been investigating hotels near the stadiums for the rumoured dates. Most of them are booked out.

Probably booked up by other Swifties the moment those dates were posted. Doesn’t really mean much at all, although I do believe the dates are real. 

Just now, FloorFiller said:

Next to Arctic Monkeys and Elton or Eminem? Ginormous set of headliners, even if it isn’t the most forward thinking set that we’ve come to expect from Glastonbury as of late. This basically just boils down to Glastonbury setting an insane standard that isn’t feasibly possibly to uphold year on year; just be thankful for those ridiculous dream-like sets of headliners when we do get them. 

Say it’s roughbloke’s trio of AM, GNR, Elton that’s three headliners who have been going for near enough 20 years. When was the last time we had a trio like that?

I understand that they are three massive acts - but you can’t deny that people will raise eyebrows at the lack of a younger headliner. I think because the demo of efests skews older, many people here will look at that trio and not think much of it. Especially if Roxy Music are the legend too… it’s a top trio heavily skewed towards a maturer audience. It’s just a very very sharp directional shift and people are allowed to feel a bit weird about it. Also if they lost Taylor it’s just a bit strange to go for someone like GNR instead. It’s interesting considering we’ve just had Billie, Stormzy etc that they wouldn’t put someone a bit greener in place of Taylor. I can’t see a lineup like AM, Dave/Dua, Elton raising eyebrows tbh. (Obviously it all depends on availability but I’m speaking purely in hypotheticals). It just feels a bit like people who go to glastonbury to see the older acts are telling others how to feel.

I think the whole thing is very nuanced. There’s a lot of factors behind why people may raise eyebrows to it. I think everyone’s opinion really is completely valid. It’s going to be a mixed reaction despite valid arguments to defend it.

Also I think if macroeconomic factors were in a more stable position people wouldn’t raise that much of an eyebrow. But with this looking to be the most expensive glastonbury ever, people will probably look more at what is on the top bill than previous years before. Younger attendees will really be weighing up whether they want to go. Is this the direction the festival really wants to take?

So yeah, very nuanced, lots of factors, and lots of valid feelings here. Things are difficult and belts are getting tightened. Even I am sitting here considering whether this is a sensible year to skip.

10 minutes ago, parsonjack said:

Are you suggesting that makes the leaked dates more, or less, likely to be correct? 

Could indicate that crew/ppl associated with the event have already been making bookings / there has been a surge which has driven prices up and availability down.