Taylor swift

brettredmayne

8 hours ago, circus92 said:

On numbers maybe, but 1989 will always remain her masterpiece.

This review pretty much nails it -

“But true Taylor fans know that, while Folklore and Evermore contained wonderful examples of Swift’s craft as a songwriter and lyricist, the masterpiece in her oeuvre remains 1989, released in 2014, when she was just 24 years old. That album, her generation’s Thriller, or Like a Prayer, is now established as a pop classic. (And no, not because of Ryan Adams’ creepy cover version). Hitching Eighties pop to Nineties electronica, then blazing down the Springsteen highway in a tank top and blue jeans, 1989 was American pop like they’ve hardly made it since that same year: histrionic, widescreen, catchy as a coronavirus.”

https://www.esquire.com/uk/culture/a41711408/taylor-swift-midnights-review/

I know that in the era of hot takes, tier lists etc it’s not really on trend to say, but there’s more nuance to judging someone’s work than just plonking something at number 1, and I really think 1989 and Folklore are both her true masterpieces. I don’t think we need to crown one album as the best she’s done, her work is now too varied to lump it all together. I cant separate those two records, they’re both flawless masterpieces and deserve to be considered amongst the very best in their genres.

4 minutes ago, jparx said:

I know that in the era of hot takes, tier lists etc it’s not really on trend to say, but there’s more nuance to judging someone’s work than just plonking something at number 1, and I really think 1989 and Folklore are both her true masterpieces. I don’t think we need to crown one album as the best she’s done, her work is now too varied to lump it all together. I cant separate those two records, they’re both flawless masterpieces and deserve to be considered amongst the very best in their genres.

I’d personally put Red in the conversation too but I know some on here don’t agree with that.

Tbh, I think they all have one or two tracks that could be considered ‘filler’, but they’re not ‘bad’ songs per se, and the highs on each album more than make up for them.

10 minutes ago, jparx said:

Not gonna disagree with that comment at all. I absolutely love Folklore as well, and yes it is also a masterpiece, but if you had to get off the fence and crown one, I know what my choice would be.

8 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

I’d personally put Red in the conversation too but I know some on here don’t agree with that.

Red is most definitely in the conversation as well.  Peak Taylor = 1989 / Folklore / Red.  The rest are brilliant as well, but those 3 are iconic and a level up.

Too early to judge where Midnight's will land, but at the moment for me it isn't at the same level as those 3.

55 minutes ago, jparx said:

This comment nails it. For me ranking Taylor albums is pointless, they are ALL good, they are not the same and they hit the listener from different angles. It is an outstanding body of work, you may find the odd track to skip but I can honestly put on any album and listen straight through.

1 hour ago, FloorFiller said:

Tbh, I think they all have one or two tracks that could be considered ‘filler’, but they’re not ‘bad’ songs per se, and the highs on each album more than make up for them.

Red is unbelievably close to those two, but it just has slightly more filler. I can’t in good conscience rank a Gary Lightbody ft. on par with 1989 and Folklore 😀

12 hours ago, WestCountryGirl said:

Have seen some Easter Egg speculation that "Exile ends - 3 ... 2" pocketwatch in the Bejeweled video either hints to the release of Speak Now TV, or ... the start of a tour. Much as I would love the latter to be the case, a tour starting in March seems pretty soon, considering its not even announced yet. Not that there would be any trouble shifting tickets 🤷🏻 

Or, we could be waiting another few months even to get an announcement.

OR we clowning 🤡

I woke up this morning googling that damn locket. I figured it means the Speak Now exile is nearly finished and it's soon to be released? 

Strange that the word 'exile' is used so many times in that video. I was hoping it would mean Evermore Long Pond sessions (i will never give up hope) but then I realised Exile is on folklore...  There is a little Long Pond Studio at the end of the video in the woods. Or it looks like it to me...

16 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

I know some people think numbers don’t mean anything - but in this case they do because she’s absolutely running laps around everyone right now. Playing in her own league.

Music is not a competition, or at least it shouldn't be.

Imagine coming on to a niche forum about music festivals, entering a sub thread about Taylor Swift, and then having a pop at someone for talking about that acts charts and sales figures?

There's the rest of the internet if this doesn't appeal to you 😀

16 minutes ago, jparx said:

Imagine coming on to a niche forum about music festivals, entering a sub thread about Taylor Swift, and then having a pop at someone for talking about that acts charts and sales figures?

There's the rest of the internet if this doesn't appeal to you 😀

Because it's boring af. Just as Matt can post about the figures I can post, 'who cares?'. It's really not that deep and you shouldn't be so thin skinned about an artist that doesn't give a shit whether you post about charting/sales figures.

Edited by scatteredscreens

5 minutes ago, scatteredscreens said:

This is also the same forum that rips into Supre when he goes on about Bad Bunny being one of the biggest streamed artists on the planet and turning their nose up when Blackpink gets mentioned to do a glasto spot despite being enormous, why does Taylor Swift get a free pass?

It's a strange one, not only on here, but in general the hype over her is off the scale.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

It's a strange one, not only on here, but in general the hype over her is off the scale.

She's massive and I'm not denying that. I just find an obsession over sales/streams a bit odd for ANY artist really. Only people who should be caring about sales/streams are the artist and their label.

• Upvote 1