Glastonbury 1987

Skip997

1 hour ago, clarkete said:

87 was great.  I always had more fondness for 1990 due to the Archaos takeover.

1990 was a disaster for me. My girlfriend and I somehow found out that if you turned up in some sort of live-in vehicle (we had a VW camper) and claimed to be a traveller, you would be directed to some fields put aside for travellers. No ticket or passes required.

It was a nightmare, I don't remember seeing any bands, just walking around being intimidated by "brew crew". If you didn't have a can of special brew in your hand crossing the travellers field(s) you were "an outsider" and open for intimidation.

My only memory is somehow ending up in a car with some dodgy geezers and ending up in a kind of steel clad trackway and being stopped at a huge metal gateway by some extremely frightening security.

For me the whole event was dark. We left ASAP on the Monday morning, maybe even Sunday, can't be sure. The vibe was so bad I swore I'd never return, and didn't until 1994. I went travelling in Europe and Asia instead.

53 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

1990 was a disaster for me. My girlfriend and I somehow found out that if you turned up in some sort of live-in vehicle (we had a VW camper) and claimed to be a traveller, you would be directed to some fields put aside for travellers. No ticket or passes required.

It was a nightmare, I don't remember seeing any bands, just walking around being intimidated by "brew crew". If you didn't have a can of special brew in your hand crossing the travellers field(s) you were "an outsider" and open for intimidation.

My only memory is somehow ending up in a car with some dodgy geezers and ending up in a kind of steel clad trackway and being stopped at a huge metal gateway by some extremely frightening security.

For me the whole event was dark. We left ASAP on the Monday morning, maybe even Sunday, can't be sure. The vibe was so bad I swore I'd never return, and didn't until 1994. I went travelling in Europe and Asia instead.

Yeah that does sound pretty intimidating.  I didn't realise that non traveller folks could end up in their area back in the day and as with any community they had great folks and d*cks too. 

16 hours ago, Skip997 said:

I know exactly what you mean here. 

I camped in two places in 1990. The Greenfield and the healing field, in a friend's toilet tent (but that's a whole other different story 😂)

Someone was joining me late on the Friday, he cadged a lift with a bunch of lads from Shepton and asked me how we could get them in without tickets. I said if you're prepared to walk in through the travellers fields you can just walk straight in, but I told him that it's really dodgy up there so be prepared for some hassle. 

They did all get in, but they all had their shoes taken off them first. No idea how they got on after that. 

There were a lot of dogs running around in packs that year, fighting and snarling all the time.  A friend of mine who was staying up there got attacked by one of them, madness. 

There was also quite a bit of 'infighting' between different groups of travellers at that time too. Was quite a heavy atmosphere and not entirely pleasant. 

20 hours ago, clarkete said:

87 was great.  I always had more fondness for 1990 due to the Archaos takeover.

When double checking their year (as my memory is broken)  I stumbled across this site, which has some great photos...

https://www.myglastonburystory.com/archive/glastonbury1990s

That site is larger than it looks - its linked at

https://www.myglastonburystory.com/archive

its run by Emma https://www.myglastonburystory.com/about

she had a exhibition on recently 

https://www.myglastonburystory.com/exhibition

and she also posts on this site from time to time

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

But at least it was edgy

it was the edgyness which made glasto so great, edgy, but it never really kicked off, apart from the year security and travellers had running battles.

Just now, Neil said:

it was the edgyness which made glasto so great, edgy, but it never really kicked off, apart from the year security and travellers had running battles.

I think some people are uncomfortable with the idea of Glastonbury ever being 'edgy', and don't like the idea that it hasn't always been full of glittery pop princesses, where they can have a lovely pop singalong and a bit of a boogie. 😉

Maybe they should give up on reading threads about people's experiences 'back in the day', if it rankles so much 🤔 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Kizzie said:

I think some people are uncomfortable with the idea of Glastonbury ever being 'edgy', and don't like the idea that it hasn't always been full of glittery pop princesses, where they can have a lovely pop singalong and a bit of a boogie. 😉

Maybe they should give up on reading threads about people's experiences 'back in the day', if it rankles so much 🤔 

yeah...1990 was edgy because of the whole traveller thing, 2000 was edgy because way too many people there and the tent robbing thing, and 2022 was edgy because I was there with my teenage daughter thing.

• Upvote 2