Skip997

9 hours ago, glasto-worker said:

That site is larger than it looks - its linked at

https://www.myglastonburystory.com/archive

its run by Emma https://www.myglastonburystory.com/about

she had a exhibition on recently 

https://www.myglastonburystory.com/exhibition

and she also posts on this site from time to time

There are certainly some great photos and tales there and it's always good to have more pictures out there from the pre digital era. 

4 hours ago, clarkete said:

There are certainly some great photos and tales there and it's always good to have more pictures out there from the pre digital era

I agree there is some super shots ' but ' pre digital' is part of the Problem '
She has used  1 from the 70's and 4 images from the 80's but there was others she did not use because I could not say which specific year it was - all I knew they were not taking 1980 or 1988 { the two years it was not held in the 80's } - I can work out the others by the people in the shots as 1983 - 1986 taking using a Nikon F2 {professional SLR Camera} even although it costs a bomb it did not have a ' date function ' so my 35 mm negatives don't have a actual date.

some year { as it will take me a good year } I will go though my huge collection and will print some of the 35 mm negatives - many in B/W { such as below } 

photo taken in the Pyramid field about 5.30am 1986 as we were wandering past and there was a large collection of motorbikes. Bud { The guy in the photo } wanted to sit on the bloody thing but as we were only inches from the tents I certainly was not going to take on a mob of bikers.

I am sure we had come from the Rastafarian Cafe {inside the market area - a huge marquee } run by a team from Bristol - the only cafe  with 1 or 2 Bouncers at the door - never closed - did not sell many hot drinks but lots of alcohol { I am sure they did not have a licence } - they were there a few years but one year they were gone and never to return { as far as I am aware } 

_154325(1).thumb.jpg.60d0043f11310e0d671a4d824e156a9a.jpg

• Like 1

6 hours ago, glasto-worker said:

I agree there is some super shots ' but ' pre digital' is part of the Problem '
She has used  1 from the 70's and 4 images from the 80's but there was others she did not use because I could not say which specific year it was - all I knew they were not taking 1980 or 1988 { the two years it was not held in the 80's } - I can work out the others by the people in the shots as 1983 - 1986 taking using a Nikon F2 {professional SLR Camera} even although it costs a bomb it did not have a ' date function ' so my 35 mm negatives don't have a actual date.

some year { as it will take me a good year } I will go though my huge collection and will print some of the 35 mm negatives - many in B/W { such as below } 

photo taken in the Pyramid field about 5.30am 1986 as we were wandering past and there was a large collection of motorbikes. Bud { The guy in the photo } wanted to sit on the bloody thing but as we were only inches from the tents I certainly was not going to take on a mob of bikers.

I am sure we had come from the Rastafarian Cafe {inside the market area - a huge marquee } run by a team from Bristol - the only cafe  with 1 or 2 Bouncers at the door - never closed - did not sell many hot drinks but lots of alcohol { I am sure they did not have a licence } - they were there a few years but one year they were gone and never to return { as far as I am aware } 

_154325(1).thumb.jpg.60d0043f11310e0d671a4d824e156a9a.jpg

Fabulous photo 😊 and a great story too, would be good to see more of them but I can understand them being very specific about knowing the specific years when contributing to an archive. Rastafarian Cafe does sound vaguely familiar, although several of yours are certainly a bit before my first. 

I also vividly remember bikes in some of those areas, sometimes with string corralling them together and I certainly wouldn't have offended their owners. 

I haven't tried this myself, but wonder about these negative edge codes to at least see when a film came from? 

https://www.filmpreservation.org/userfiles/image/PDFs/fpg_10.pdf

On 8/22/2022 at 4:14 PM, clarkete said:

Fabulous photo 😊 and a great story too, would be good to see more of them but I can understand them being very specific about knowing the specific years when contributing to an archive. Rastafarian Cafe does sound vaguely familiar, although several of yours are certainly a bit before my first. 

I also vividly remember bikes in some of those areas, sometimes with string corralling them together and I certainly wouldn't have offended their owners. 

I haven't tried this myself, but wonder about these negative edge codes to at least see when a film came from? 

https://www.filmpreservation.org/userfiles/image/PDFs/fpg_10.pdf

I only found out who ran the Rastafarian Cafe ' by posting on here some years ago ' - would loved to have got some shots inside but ## as there was a lot of dealing going on { customers and the staff } ## I doubt I would have made it 

+ as it was near the back of the market area I reckon lots of people missed it 

run like a Yardie Shebeen with floor to roof speakers - not a place you could sit and have a ' drink and a chat ' as you could not hear anyone speak.

I have not got a clue what it was like during the day but late at night it was a adventure { if you had the balls to walk in } - if you were not stoned when you walked in ## you would be stoned when you walked out ## even if you did not smoke any joints.  

if I am correct 'Police moved onto the Glastonbury Festival site in 1989' so certainly there was no Rastafarian Cafe after 1987

I quote from ITV ## The 1989 festival brought with it more complications with

the local council over the granting of the festival's licence. In a bid to ease concerns from locals, police were brought into the organisation and planning of the festival for the first time. ##

I am sure there was some random cops about before 1989 but not in the numbers we see now - does not bother me either way.

----------

I agree there was a fair number of biker Encampments - some even used ' Police
do not cross tape ' which I always found funny.

will try out your negative code - thanks.

below is the shot as we left Notting Hill Gate {London} in 1986 - there was 4 adults in the car + camping gear + bevy - god knows where the hats came from - I was the only driver - Mini made it back 

38917_o.thumb.jpg.f344562910ee082463014ff835217487.jpg

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

11 hours ago, glasto-worker said:

I only found out who ran the Rastafarian Cafe ' by posting on here some years ago ' - would loved to have got some shots inside but ## as there was a lot of dealing going on { customers and the staff } ## I doubt I would have made it 

+ as it was near the back of the market area I reckon lots of people missed it 

run like a Yardie Shebeen with floor to roof speakers - not a place you could sit and have a ' drink and a chat ' as you could not hear anyone speak.

I have not got a clue what it was like during the day but late at night it was a adventure { if you had the balls to walk in } - if you were not stoned when you walked in ## you would be stoned when you walked out ## even if you did not smoke any joints.  

if I am correct 'Police moved onto the Glastonbury Festival site in 1989' so certainly there was no Rastafarian Cafe after 1987

I quote from ITV ## The 1989 festival brought with it more complications with

the local council over the granting of the festival's licence. In a bid to ease concerns from locals, police were brought into the organisation and planning of the festival for the first time. ##

I am sure there was some random cops about before 1989 but not in the numbers we see now - does not bother me either way.

----------

I agree there was a fair number of biker Encampments - some even used ' Police
do not cross tape ' which I always found funny.

will try out your negative code - thanks.

below is the shot as we left Notting Hill Gate {London} in 1986 - there was 4 adults in the car + camping gear + bevy - god knows where the hats came from - I was the only driver - Mini made it back 

38917_o.thumb.jpg.f344562910ee082463014ff835217487.jpg

Top quality post as usual pal 😊

On 8/17/2022 at 10:13 PM, Sawdusty surfer said:

Still convinced it was in what is now CN Field. Pic 2, not steep enough for top King's Meadow. Healing Field other side of hedge beyond two red vans. Then there's a hedge and steeper field. 

Pic 1 uphill field boundaries too close considering the gentle gradient to be King's. Same pic 3.

Deffo wasn't Undleground as we were parked up in the field below, a big field, just on the east of the track about 50m from the entrance to Carhenge. 

I could be completely wrong!  😁

Middle of the night post. Spent the night with Strapper. Not seen him for yeart. Old school Mutoid. He drove the Skull Bus onto site in '87. He says that Cathenge was deffo in Creep Ground .... wherever that is. He knows , the real deal.

• Upvote 1

On 8/22/2022 at 12:16 AM, clarkete said:

There are certainly some great photos and tales there and it's always good to have more pictures out there from the pre digital era. 

This guy has a lot of pre-digital pictures within his website (from 1992-2002): 

Glastonbury photographs (webm8.co.uk)

• 8 months later...
1 hour ago, Skip997 said:

Carhenge the original

The return of carhenge definitely gives all the oldies a trip down memory lane hey... '87 is before I was even born 🤣

By today's standards, 2022 felt pretty edgy to be fair. I saw hardly any security...some hairy overcrowding moments...and the threat of catching covid in the first one back and everyone taking the risk and hugging each other anyway...talk about living on the edge 🤣🤣