Volunteering 2023

neil93

37 minutes ago, jaimebionic said:

Hey. Just been given my shifts for the recycling crew and it's the evening team 😭 6 till 11 has anyone done those shifts and can make me feel not so gutted about it with some positives about this shift? 

Like Dodo has just said You can have very late nights and not worry about getting up early

Finishing at 11pm means you can get the end of headliners and then get right down the SE corner with no pressure of getting up - and then take it easy during the daytime sets, lots of viewing from the back. I'd be ok with those shifts, a bit of headliner FOMO but also a fair bit of freedom for other bits of the festival 

53 minutes ago, jaimebionic said:

Hey. Just been given my shifts for the recycling crew and it's the evening team 😭 6 till 11 has anyone done those shifts and can make me feel not so gutted about it with some positives about this shift? 

Is that every day?

27 minutes ago, dondo said:

I believe it is just Friday, Saturday and Sunday.  So if that is the case then it is less hours/days than the other shifts.

Ah, i meant every actual show day - Friday to Sunday.  It takes out all of the subs and headliners I guess. 

7 minutes ago, Leyrulion said:

I've a friend who it'd be perfect for. Festival doesn't really start for them until midnight. 

Me too. If you are into electronic/techno you could have a great festival still! 

Any Shelter volunteer veterans out there who can advise on when we ought to hear from the them (or Avalon Bars) about the 'next steps' alluded to in the confirmation email?

I wouldn't mind getting stuff like hotel and travel booked - but little idea where in the city we need to be, or when for atm.

27 minutes ago, dogeggs said:

Any Shelter volunteer veterans out there who can advise on when we ought to hear from the them (or Avalon Bars) about the 'next steps' alluded to in the confirmation email?

I wouldn't mind getting stuff like hotel and travel booked - but little idea where in the city we need to be, or when for atm.

I know Bristol quite well through work trips (pre booked hotel etc) but if you are ok with Cheap and cheerful and shared room, the YHA down by the harbour is a good option.  I am a member which means the best room rate deals.  cant fault it generally for a cheap hit.  If there are several of you then hotel may be better option for shared room but solo can be dear.

YHA Bristol Hostel | Cheap Bristol City Centre Accommodation

1 minute ago, Jay Pee said:

I know Bristol quite well through work trips (pre booked hotel etc) but if you are ok with Cheap and cheerful and shared room, the YHA down by the harbour is a good option.  I am a member which means the best room rate deals.  cant fault it generally for a cheap hit.  If there are several of you then hotel may be better option for shared room but solo can be dear.

YHA Bristol Hostel | Cheap Bristol City Centre Accommodation

Thanks! 

The pick-up location for the Shelter bus might decide what our options are. If we can get away with a short walk from hotel to bus, we'll usually take it.... 

If Shelter pick up near the harbour, I'd take a look for sure

2 hours ago, dogeggs said:

Thanks! 

The pick-up location for the Shelter bus might decide what our options are. If we can get away with a short walk from hotel to bus, we'll usually take it.... 

If Shelter pick up near the harbour, I'd take a look for sure

A lot of the buses pick up at Temple Meads which is a bit of a walk from a lot of the hotels but I don't know much about Shelter routine.

On 4/17/2023 at 2:08 PM, marathonsteve said:

Hiya I was just wondering If that is your first time on the crew

No I have done it twice before and got early morning shifts but cause I haven't done it for a couple of years I'm back at the bottom of the pecking order for the good shifts 😕

I'm not much of a late night partier unfortunately, don't get me wrong I'm looking forward to having a lay in in the morning though 😂

5 hours ago, DJ Cull said:

Anyone heard from WaterAid yet? Or have any clue as to when we might?

I never heard back from them, a couple of people that I know of had an email from them on 23rd March, and had their places confirmed, but I also know of a few others that haven't heard from them.  Apparently they said we should hear from them by the end of April?  

17 minutes ago, med said:

I never heard back from them, a couple of people that I know of had an email from them on 23rd March, and had their places confirmed, but I also know of a few others that haven't heard from them.  Apparently they said we should hear from them by the end of April?  

They are coming through and have had mine confirmed for a few weeks but am a returning regular volunteer.  What i would say is that if you do not get through with the initial round of acceptance for volunteering, people do drop out and spaces do sometimes come up as we get closer.  

It is not like Oxfam as the scale of their operations is much larger.

I would hazard a guess that those who have been offered a place with WaterAid (and have not yet accepted) and are also trying in the resale this weekend may then turn down the WaterAid offer.  The landscape shifts over the next few weeks.

Glastonbury slots became available very briefly at 02:29 this morning (it's in my tracker log, I was on this occasion fast asleep).

Very weird time for them to release, but suppose it ensures it's someone who REALLY wants that position!

36 minutes ago, Greenelk said:

Glastonbury slots became available very briefly at 02:29 this morning (it's in my tracker log, I was on this occasion fast asleep).

Very weird time for them to release, but suppose it ensures it's someone who REALLY wants that position!

Just spotted that. I cant stress over missing a chance at that time 🤣

1 hour ago, Greenelk said:

For which charity?

1 hour ago, Greenelk said:

That’s so weird. I’m wondering if it was a software update or server restart at that time of the morning tbh. 

Hi Guys,

My wife and I were recipients of the Shelter email of doom, but subsequently got places with Wateraid.

Shelter have just emailed this morning with the offer of two places, so they've started going through their waitlist.

I know it's a 'how long is a piece of string' question but does anyone have an opinion as to who offers the best Glastonbury experience?!

Massive good luck to anyone still waiting for a spot, looks like things are starting to move.

Steve

5 hours ago, philipsteak said:

It was a test. Only the truly committed get a place

It is people in the office releasing them at very obscure times so they can tell their friends when to check and get a spot.....

If we want to be really cynical haha 

2 hours ago, SteveGlastonbury said:
Hi Guys,

My wife and I were recipients of the Shelter email of doom, but subsequently got places with Wateraid.

Shelter have just emailed this morning with the offer of two places, so they've started going through their waitlist.

I know it's a 'how long is a piece of string' question but does anyone have an opinion as to who offers the best Glastonbury experience?!

Massive good luck to anyone still waiting for a spot, looks like things are starting to move.

Steve

Can;t offer any words of wisdom but congrats on getting a choice of places, what a great position to be in  - all the best for making the right decision for you