Volunteering 2023

neil93

1 minute ago, Leyrulion said:

For people that have volunteered before-

You don't get shifts until you arrive so what's your approach to looking at the line up?

How much do you plan ahead knowing you may well miss out on a shed load.

You obviously have a thought about a few people you’d like to see, but try not to plan too much.

When I went with Shelter for my first volunteer experience, I not only missed loads whilst on shift, I completely changed a lot of my plans in the rest of the time too. 

There was time when I was still right up to party, but there were also definitely times, like a few hours after shifts, when my feet hurt & I didn’t want to walk far, and even wanted to go for something where I could sit down for a bit. I remember watching Billy Bragg in Leftfield for a bit, and going to see The Mavericks in Avalon instead of Flaming Lips at The Park.

……..BUT….I quite liked that. I liked that I went a bit more random than usual. I liked that my shifts made me stop planning and it took me back to my early Glastonburies when I would just see what I found. Over the years I had gradually got more and more into planning and scheduling, and it was actually really liberating to just say ‘I’ll see what I see’….& now I do Oxfam every year because that’s how I like it.

I really do think that when you choose volunteering it’s good to to see your shifts as part of your festival, and accept & enjoy what is left.

…..& The Mavericks were bloody brilliant and I would never have seen them otherwise!

2 minutes ago, tarw said:

I think it could be to do with the fact that Oxfam are off site so that they can do everyone’s accreditation and wristbanded there. With Shelter being on-site they can’t do this

I work for Green Traffic and I don't even get my ticket until I'm onsite.

20 minutes ago, amfy said:

Nor me really. Somehow you just can’t get checked in unaccompanied with Shelter. You arrive on the coach, park up and people come onto the coach to put your wristbands on. I remember having to walk a fair way after getting dropped off by the coach as well.

They just don’t seem to have any parking whereas the Oxfield has parking in the next field. You can also only camp with Shelter but you can take a live in vehicle with Oxfam.

Oxfam, FMS and maybe others share a car parking field and it's never full so it's a bit rubbish really!

10 minutes ago, tarw said:

I think it could be to do with the fact that Oxfam are off site so that they can do everyone’s accreditation and wristbanded there. With Shelter being on-site they can’t do this

Good point!

21 minutes ago, Leyrulion said:

You don't get shifts until you arrive so what's your approach to looking at the line up?

Don't make any strong plans!  It's just a different way of doing it and for me, the extra couple of days of random parties and the crew bars make up for it, Block9's doesn't close.  I've given up chasing line up around a long time ago and I'm more into the electronic so I'm happy to be more flexible.

42 minutes ago, Leyrulion said:

I just don't really plan. And don't give it too much thought. You see who you see, you miss who you miss. There's always times when you realise who you are going to miss and that's gutting, but you soon get over it. Bit then when you realise you are going to get to see that act you really want too it almost makes it more special. I've never bothered switching shifts despite missing acts I really want to see. Like amfy said you might end up seeing something amazing instead. 

Anyone had any luck yet with Oxfam spots popping up?

Still checking back every few hours for my mate (she has no idea how much work this is requiring haha) but not seen any pop up last year

I remember checking last year for other mates and had definitely seen spots by this point

1 hour ago, leath02 said:

Anyone had any luck yet with Oxfam spots popping up?

Still checking back every few hours for my mate (she has no idea how much work this is requiring haha) but not seen any pop up last year

I remember checking last year for other mates and had definitely seen spots by this point

No.  There was some the weekend before last, but as far as I can tell, that's been it so far

• Like 1

13 hours ago, stuie said:

Don't make any strong plans!  It's just a different way of doing it and for me, the extra couple of days of random parties and the crew bars make up for it, Block9's doesn't close.  I've given up chasing line up around a long time ago and I'm more into the electronic so I'm happy to be more flexible.

I'm the same. It takes an exceptionally good band to impress me these days. The last Glastonbury I attended was 2016... Whilst there is an amazing plethora of electronic/dance music going on, I found most of the stages the sound is turned right down (block 9 being a example) this is very frustrating, but understandable with such a large event. If everything was blaring out there would be to much sound clash and sensory overload. Sometimes I suppose it's just nice to here the music a bit and look at the spectacle before your eyes... Arcadia being one venue. 

What would you say are the best venues in  more recent years for good quality DJ set's. With a good sound and club feel? One that you could happily stay put in for 3-4 hours. 

14 hours ago, amfy said:

Bristol is far nearer to Glastonbury than London and most people will have to travel in the general direction of Bristol to get to Glastonbury anyway, but imagine the frustration of living in the south west and having to get to London for a pick up?

Fares to London are also the most expensive from most of the country.

if there’s only one pick up point then it does make sense for it to be Bristol.

However, they need plenty of pick up times going into late afternoon/early evening to enable as many people as possible to get to Bristol on the day and avoid having to pay out for a stopover.

Sigh. That's why I added the word "etc." to the sentence that used the word "obviously". I get the doubling back on yourself point. I stand by that London would be easier to get to for most people. Guess the proof would be in the stats. They used to send five coaches from London and one each for Sheffield and Bristol. So that's six coach loads of people that now have the frustration of having to get to Bristol. Early.

As entities I'm sure Avalon & Shelter will have shown due diligence and costed things appropriately and so Bristol it is then.

Totally agree about the pick up times. Last one from London used to be 1pm which would get you there in about two/three hours tops I reckon. It would be handy if they could run a few later but I guess that would just mean you'd still have seven coaches but now spread out more thinly.

14 hours ago, stuie said:

I don’t understand why Oxfam people can make their own way there but Shelter people can’t! 

As mentioned previously they made exceptions for the train strike last year. The first two times I volunteered I was allowed to take my car due to medical things. Car park right next to the campsite (I could see my car from my tent. Still a miles walk away though due to fencing). That car park is still in use afaik. Didn't look too full last time I was there.

Also see below.  

13 hours ago, tarw said:

Avalon/Shelter are not on site (to my mind). Volunteers have to pass through Gate C daily.

Last time I did it travelling with Shelter on the coaches you make a stop in a field on the way there to hand over your photo ID for photocopying and to get properly registered (accredited) etc. It takes a ridiculous amount of time. I don't see what's stopping them handing out wristbands at that point, rather than on the coaches, to people who've pre arranged to make their own way there.

I'm sure the main "no cars for Shelter" reason is seven coach loads of people making there own way there means, what?, 400+ extra parking spaces needed.

On 2/24/2023 at 12:14 PM, Crazyfool01 said:

Always thought oxfam provided the largest number of staff so it makes sense that they will be the ones with the largest returns in the end 

I think this may be the correct answer.

I’ve volunteered for oxfam before, but haven’t done shelter so just wondered if anyone can share any info on it?

just bits like shift patterns/times, where the campsite is and coaches on the Tues and Mon etc - obviously I know it will be all revealed when we’re they’re but be good to know times of shifts roughly etc! I just hope I don’t miss Elton, it’s the only one I’d love to see but that’s Sunday.☺️ also, can shelter folk access crew bars? Defo fancy a bit of Maceos!

ta so much guys x

Edited by lazymagnet

Regarding Shelter/Avalon insisting on Coaches when most others provide the option of parking permits - I don't think it's going to be down to where the campsite is located - plenty of people based inside the fence will be given parking permits and end up parked miles away (though if they're really lucky, some of them can drive on site during the build to unload their stuff).

It feels like a decision that's come from the group, and not from the wider festival, so I'm wondering if the number of parking permits they request affects their remuneration. If they're effectively getting charged for each space, it may just be better value to hire out however many coaches for a day and shove everyone on those.

2 hours ago, lazymagnet said:

I’ve volunteered for oxfam before, but haven’t done shelter so just wondered if anyone can share any info on it?

just bits like shift patterns/times, where the campsite is and coaches on the Tues and Mon etc - obviously I know it will be all revealed when we’re they’re but be good to know times of shifts roughly etc! I just hope I don’t miss Elton, it’s the only one I’d love to see but that’s Sunday.☺️ also, can shelter folk access crew bars? Defo fancy a bit of Maceos!

ta so much guys x

The crew bars tend to let all staff in until they have their closing parties on the sunday night or if its gotten really busy during festival time. Then you need to have a wrist band for that specific area... i.e. Block 9 for Maceos. Arcadia for Tow & Hitch.

Edited by Havors
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, lazymagnet said:

ta so much guys x

As far as I know it's 3x8 hours during times the bars are open so late weds-sunday 5am. 

I assume times are a mix of early/late like Oxfam with at least 12 hours in-between. 

Camping has been nearish to gate c/SE corner. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Leyrulion said:

As far as I know it's 3x8 hours during times the bars are open so late weds-sunday 5am. 

I assume times are a mix of early/late like Oxfam with at least 12 hours in-between. 

Camping has been nearish to gate c/SE corner. 

Typically you'll have one shift across Weds/Thurs and then one afternoon and one evening/night across the 3 main days, not absolutely nailed on but a good rule of thumb expectation.

The campsite is (or at least has been for at least a decade so I'd guess the same this year) just outside Gate C

@lazymagnet

• Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, chestwig said:

Campaigner applications with Oxfam are available on the website.

Does anybody know how many shifts are required for this? And how many hours each shift?

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Mp4ZMpJcffuwNSJBKKnEmfsdttyl0-kmpOHcPWVRD5E/edit?usp=drivesdk

Campaigner

4x6hours 

300 words, 3 min video

Required to do 2nd festival with Oxfam  Last shift ends 6pm

1 minute ago, MrHew said:

Anyone know who provides the stewards for The Woods. Being a fire steward up there would be right up my street.

Don't know for sure.

But I'd put good money on it being a PTA from a Somerset or North Dorset School.

1 hour ago, incident said:

Don't know for sure.

But I'd put good money on it being a PTA from a Somerset or North Dorset School.

Hmm, not so handy. I'm on the list for WBC if the charity get places this year so I might get lucky that way

On 2/12/2023 at 5:54 PM, Leyrulion said:

I think 24 hours is the standard volunteer allocation over the festival tbh. 

It seems very hard to get into through this route though. 

How many bars do they cover generally?

On 2/12/2023 at 6:26 PM, incident said:

Don't know the numbers, but general rule of thumb is that WBC cover the major high volume bars around the Main Stages. Dreamtime, Village Inn, Mandela, etc and a fair few others I can't remember the names of. Also the Bread and Roses in the Main Markets.

somewhere in a post many years ago  there was a full list - at different periods of time the number has varied and for god knows how many years I think it reached 44 Public Bars but when Avalon was formed they were divided up so the list is much smaller now but as 'incident' has reported they tend to the major high volume bars which in general are 'Counter bars' but with a few exceptions.

As I now only work in the Crew area I am not sent the full list as its not relevant to me.   

taking the old list and the current list the only bar I have not worked in is the Mandela bar - 

sure Oxfam etc etc may use a 'standard volunteer allocation' but its more flexible in a few limited bars due to staffing requirements - Volunteer groups
get paid for the hours worked per Volunteer so some of the smaller charities may be glad for the extra money earned. Its not uncommon for some Groups to seek out extra hours in the past. Each member of that Group will have a choice if they wish to earn extra money or not.

So Volunteers are not just involved just to get a ticket they do have a strong link with their individual Group. 

30 minutes ago, SGS said:

not sure who does that one but the suggestion is a local school pta is about right - we have 300 volunteer stewards up at the park and they come from 18 different charities and they are made up of mostly friends and families connected to each team leader. I have a little team of 12 and the money we raise goes to the Taunton homeless charity ARC.  it is tough to get into these teams. I have been part of it up at the park since it started and I have a waiting list of at least 40 people who every year ask if I have room for them on the team - on agerage I only lose 1 or 2 people a year so its tough.  so even if you know who the charity is, applying to them wouldn't get you anywhere. ARC have never asked me or suggested I have anyone they want on my team. When you are asked to lead a team you are asked what charity you want to support and the festivsal decides if it is one they are happy with. thats all I know hope it helps

Are you a Taunton resident ? waves 🙂