Volunteering 2023

neil93

1 minute ago, From the Woods said:
  • We were also lucky in securing normal tickets back in Nov.  (Two tickets that will definitely be added to the resale!).  I'm surprised that there is no process for moving the £50 deposit to our 'guarantee' payment to the Recycling team.  Does this apply to all the volunteering organisations?  I'm assuming I've got zero chance to claim back from Seetickets?
  • We missed last year's, and the last pre-pandemic, Glastos,  but would I be right to assume that you can now get by 100% cashless?  As I'm hoping to get post festival shifts this is asking for right up to the Thursday after.

You can cancel your regular tickets and get £25 back (or just not pay the deposit and get £25 back- the other half is an admin fee incurred in processing tickets etc). 

You could go cashless but it's helpful to take some cash as a back up. There was an issue with some of the bars WiFi last year which meant all the official bars by the stages were cash only from Friday afternoon.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, giantkatestacks said:

A tedious answer but the best work/shifts onsite are the ones that suit you. For some that will be missing no music on shift for others it will be not getting up early etc etc

Yeah, good point 👍 daft question really.

17 hours ago, stuie said:

I used to feel the same, as normal work is stressful I wanted the easiest possible option. Then last year I got made a supervisor / gate team leader through no choice of my own and I actually really enjoyed it. I took the approach of how can I switch it up and keep this fun for everyone and while not exactly break the rules, be very flexible with them! I made sure everyone was doing something that was fun and if they wasn’t I’d change people around a lot. I gave people extra smoke and water breaks etc as it was bloody hot a lot of the time and if they wanted to go on break at a certain time and with certain other people I made that happen. It was actually quite rewarding! 😀

Yeah, that's pretty much my story too, although my job isn't that stressful it does involve trying to get bored, poorly paid, unmotivated young people to try and at least pretend to give a crap and do their jobs. Applies to me a fair bit too tbf. Although most stewards are pretty good on that score to give them their due.

Same approach as you to the supervising role too. Does make it a bit more interesting. And the shift timings suit me better over all, even with the killer early start.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, Leyrulion said:

You can cancel your regular tickets and get £25 back (or just not pay the deposit and get £25 back- the other half is an admin fee incurred in processing tickets etc). 

Doh!  Of course - because I would never consider not going this detail has never registered with me.  Still wish I could donate the 'admin fee' to a charity rather than to See Tickets. 

49 minutes ago, From the Woods said:

I'm feeling very fortunate as I've been accepted to join the recycling team this year - it will be my first time attending as a volunteer and it has sent my anticipation to a whole new level!

A few questions arising:

• We were also lucky in securing normal tickets back in Nov.  (Two tickets that will definitely be added to the resale!).  I'm surprised that there is no process for moving the £50 deposit to our 'guarantee' payment to the Recycling team.  Does this apply to all the volunteering organisations?  I'm assuming I've got zero chance to claim back from Seetickets?
  • We missed last year's, and the last pre-pandemic, Glastos,  but would I be right to assume that you can now get by 100% cashless?  As I'm hoping to get post festival shifts this is asking for right up to the Thursday after.
  • No idea how packed the Recycling campsite gets - will there be plenty of pitch options if arriving early afternoon on Tuesday?

Congrats - see you there!

No - I wouldnt go 100% cashless, its really ropey data on site and afterwards I imagine will be even worse. 

Tuesday afternoon there will be space in the main recycling campsite but don't bring a massive tent! 

1 hour ago, From the Woods said:

I'm feeling very fortunate as I've been accepted to join the recycling team this year - it will be my first time attending as a volunteer and it has sent my anticipation to a whole new level!

A few questions arising:

• No idea how packed the Recycling campsite gets - will there be plenty of pitch options if arriving early afternoon on Tuesday?

Congrats on getting a recycling crew spot. 

Regarding camping spit on Tuesday you should be fine.  Recycling crew does have an overflow campsite but would imagine as I say you should be fine.

There is a recycling (and others) crew bar crawl on the Tuesday night which is good fun too.

5 hours ago, StoneCircle said:

Event Bars looking for staff... https://eventbars.paamapplication.co.uk/eventbars/ 🙂

Screenshot_20230320-192015~2.png

Great to see you still helping people to get in, you Fairy Godmother you.

3 hours ago, Leyrulion said:

£300 deposit but no info on shifts. 

Added to the list anyway. I also checked and they're not the dodgy bar company that BoomTown used last year which basically kept their staff under house arrest for the weekend.

Now that sounds like a story. Do tell.

On 3/19/2023 at 6:45 PM, stuie said:

I used to feel the same, as normal work is stressful I wanted the easiest possible option. Then last year I got made a supervisor / gate team leader through no choice of my own and I actually really enjoyed it. I took the approach of how can I switch it up and keep this fun for everyone and while not exactly break the rules, be very flexible with them! I made sure everyone was doing something that was fun and if they wasn’t I’d change people around a lot. I gave people extra smoke and water breaks etc as it was bloody hot a lot of the time and if they wanted to go on break at a certain time and with certain other people I made that happen. It was actually quite rewarding! 😀

Can you be my supervisor please? haha! To be fair mine was pretty good on gate C last year so cant really complain.

I do think oxfam need to sort out their seating policy though. It destroys your feet standing for 3 x 8 hour shifts (plus all the walking). They need a proper rotating rest your feet for 10 mins.

We set one up at latitude ourselves and it didnt half help. We had a seat out of sight of punters when possible and take tabard off to sit down for 10 mins... rotating every 10 mins so everyone got to rest their feet every hour or so. 

Harder to do at glasto when its busy but when its not so busy they should be making a point of looking after stewards feet if possible haha 

• Upvote 2

On 3/20/2023 at 11:14 AM, From the Woods said:

A few questions arising:

Everything is on my phone now, but for Glastonbury I bring a credit card and cash and put it in the Lockups when they open. Don’t forget to take any stuff out before they permanently close

Email from Festaff this morning saying that they still have spaces on their team.  They are offering it to people who worked with them last summer BUT you still have to sign up to do another camping festival with them too in addition to Glastonbury.

2 hours ago, stuie said:

Email from Festaff this morning saying that they still have spaces on their team.  They are offering it to people who worked with them last summer BUT you still have to sign up to do another camping festival with them too in addition to Glastonbury.

I've just had an email too saying they're accepting applications. This is also on their website 🙂

I've emailed asking about cancellations too, in case of resale success! Has anyone on here volunteered for Festaff? What are they like?

IMG-20230322-WA0001.jpeg

I also got the Festaff email as I've done BST with them quite a few times over the years.  But it's not going to be Festaff for me, as I've just manged to grab an Oxfam Stewarding place!!

Keep trying everyone, they are appearing!!  I'm in a state of shock!!

• Like 2
  • Upvote 4

1 minute ago, Greenelk said:

I also got the Festaff email as I've done BST with them quite a few times over the years.  But it's not going to be Festaff for me, as I've just manged to grab an Oxfam Stewarding place!!

fantastic 🙂 Congrats 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Greenelk said:

12 minutes ago, jamafa said:

Just got an oxfam stewarding spot. No idea if they’re still available but worth checking.

Congrats to you both! You did good, it’s showing as sold out again now! 

• Like 1