Volunteering 2023

neil93

4 hours ago, Leyrulion said:

Yup, up to 6 people they guarantee the same shift pattern. You might not necessarily be in the same place. However for Glastonbury I think it's fairly likely that you'd be together because of the size of shifts they have on the gates. 

Other smaller festivals might have positions staffed by just 2 or 4 people so if you were a group of 6 you'd end up split apart from each other depending on how many groups they were dealing with.

Slight caveat, but not guaranteed. My group ended up split up 4/2. Never happened to us before, never heard of it happening to anyone else. No one seemed to know how it happened so assume it was just a fuck up and one of those things but very annoying, especially after the 3 year wait. 

Don't know how it's worded on the website, whether there's a bit of leeway in the wording? 

14 minutes ago, philipsteak said:

Slight caveat, but not guaranteed. My group ended up split up 4/2. Never happened to us before, never heard of it happening to anyone else. No one seemed to know how it happened so assume it was just a fuck up and one of those things but very annoying, especially after the 3 year wait. 

Don't know how it's worded on the website, whether there's a bit of leeway in the wording? 

Edited by Stave_1974
Quoted by mistake, sorry !

21 minutes ago, philipsteak said:

That's odd!

"We will always try our best to make sure you are on shift at the same times as your shift partners, however, we can't guarantee your positions will be based in the same location."

I suspect it's a manual job that someone has to do for shift allocation so if someone put Dave instead of David, or there were some Sam's instead of Samantha it might get missed.

2 hours ago, Leyrulion said:

Ooo I hadn't clocked that. Good spot.  That complicates it slightly. Interesting.

Edit: Looks like Glastonbury cancellation deadline is going to be 26th April.

The latest a general resale has been is Sunday 28th April.

So you'd hope resale will fall on the 20th/23rd April rather than the 30th.

But there is no pattern!

When the resale fell that late, it was because it was impacted by Easter being inconveniently scheduled for the 21st so the resale had to be pushed back a week later than it likely otherwise would have been.

Easter doesn't get in the way this year, and so I think yeah the most likely the resale will fall on April 20th + 23rd.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Leyrulion said:

That's odd!

"We will always try our best to make sure you are on shift at the same times as your shift partners, however, we can't guarantee your positions will be based in the same location."

I suspect it's a manual job that someone has to do for shift allocation so if someone put Dave instead of David, or there were some Sam's instead of Samantha it might get missed.

There's the get out I thought they'd have.

It could have been one of us but I'd be surprised. We've been doing this a long time and are very careful. 

The one saving grace was the pair had better shifts than the rest of us and we did still get to spend a fair bit of time together.

1 hour ago, Leyrulion said:

That's odd!

This is really important - you have to put the names of the people you want to do your shifts with exactly as they have entered them on their own application. 
You don’t need to do it ‘in a rush’ on the application day, but when you do fill in your more details, you need to know whether your mate has applied as Michael or Mike, Nicki or Nicola etc. If you enter their name differently to how they did, you won’t be paired.

Just went to check my profile was all completed on the Oxfam site as I can’t remember if I had or I was confusing it with Festaff which i’d been looking at? Oxfam isn’t giving me the option to do anything with my profile now though. Should I had added picture/referee etc by now and is that bit now closed?

Edited by golden egg

6 minutes ago, golden egg said:

Just went to check my profile was all completed on the Oxfam site as I can’t remember if I had or I was confusing it with Festaff which i’d been looking at? Oxfam isn’t giving me the option to do anything with my profile now though. Should I had added picture/referee etc by now and is that bit now closed?

Adding stuff comes after the event. At this point you just need to be able to log in, nothing more.

12 hours ago, Leyrulion said:

That's odd!

It's not even down to name confusions either - often it's simply because they just can't divide up the shifts among the given positions evenly. Also sites sometimes add / remove positions for them at short notice and so they have to break groups up.

7 minutes ago, philipsteak said:

Yeah, you have to do that one first. 

Bearded is a great festival at any time, but being the first of the 3-4 day camping festivals of the year make it even better. A wonderful way to kick off the summer festivals. And there aren’t that many Oxfam slots really.

1 minute ago, Havors said:

Only £170 deposit??? not full ticket price?

Its a thing they only announced a couple of days ago, if you've done five festivals or more in the last five years, you can drop a half deposit as you're a reasonably trustworthy sort in their eyes. 

Its great, its so much easier to get £170 together 👍

2 minutes ago, balti-pie said:

Its a thing they only announced a couple of days ago, if you've done five festivals or more in the last five years, you can drop a half deposit as you're a reasonably trustworthy sort in their eyes. 

Its great, its so much easier to get £170 together 👍

Ah bollocks to that. Only done 3 😞 

2 hours ago, chuckles07 said:

Bearded is a great festival at any time, but being the first of the 3-4 day camping festivals of the year make it even better. A wonderful way to kick off the summer festivals. And there aren’t that many Oxfam slots really.

Just hoping the new "owners" get it right and keep the winning formula largely intact.  My wife has volunteered in the school for years and thankfully that is being retained.  They need to get the Woodland stage sorted again as it was ludicrous in 2022.

Love the place and am cautiously optimistic it wont get spoiled in the pursuance of profits.