Volunteering 2023

neil93

7 minutes ago, Leyrulion said:

What the fuck, Prosumer, call super, dennis sulta and groove armada on the Saturday. 

That's a warehouse project lineup at a crew bar. I did not know they had actual named djs on.

Yes. Get some darn good names. 

A couple more niche ones to mention as this is becoming as good a place as any to build a definitive database:

- In 2022, Coop recruited 300 of their staff to the Recycling Crew (separate from the paid work in their store) https://colleaguestories.coop.co.uk/2022/03/28/we-need-300-volunteers-for-the-glastonbury-recycling-crew/

- Attitude Is Everything are a fantastic organisation, and run the viewing platforms at the festival so may be worth keeping an eye on if you've got a specific interest in helping in that area. https://attitudeiseverything.org.uk/support-us/volunteer/

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, incident said:

A couple more niche ones to mention as this is becoming as good a place as any to build a definitive database:

- In 2022, Coop recruited 300 of their staff to the Recycling Crew (separate from the paid work in their store) https://colleaguestories.coop.co.uk/2022/03/28/we-need-300-volunteers-for-the-glastonbury-recycling-crew/

- Attitude Is Everything are a fantastic organisation, and run the viewing platforms at the festival so may be worth keeping an eye on if you've got a specific interest in helping in that area. https://attitudeiseverything.org.uk/support-us/volunteer/

The attitude is everything one sounds good. I've never heard of them. I loved doing the accessible camping with Oxfam at Download. The database will be great if all of these can be added. 

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, Leyrulion said:

What the fuck, Prosumer, call super, dennis sulta and groove armada on the Saturday. 

That's a warehouse project lineup at a crew bar. I did not know they had actual named djs on.

Maceo’s is amazing. Not only who plays there but who is hanging out there during their down time! I ended up having mushroom oil with a certain Scottish DJ who played Stonebridge and his female manager way after I should have gone to bed on Friday morning! It’s also one of the queerest places of the festival and has a secret door into NYC Downlow. Bonkers stuff! 

I've worked alongside AIE before, and found them to be hugely engaged in and committed to their goal of making festivals accessible to all.

To that end, they do tend to actively recruit disabled people where possible but (at least when I saw them) not necessarily exclusively so.

1 minute ago, stuie said:

Maceo’s is amazing. Not only who plays there but who is hanging out there during their down time! I ended up having mushroom oil with a certain Scottish DJ who played Stonebridge and his female manager way after I should have gone to bed on Friday morning! It’s also one of the queerest places of the festival and has a secret door into NYC Downlow. Bonkers stuff! 

Did the Oxfam folk get access, I can't remember if that was one of the tricky ones after the festival starts? 

Could you get a wristband before the main days?

2 minutes ago, Leyrulion said:

Did the Oxfam folk get access, I can't remember if that was one of the tricky ones after the festival starts? 

Could you get a wristband before the main days?

Yes, open to all crew all the time. Block9 wristbands freely available on mon/tues but not needed at all. 

It made an amusing conversation when said DJ asked what I was doing at the festival and I said gate supervisor with Oxfam… you? And he said ‘oh I played Stonebridge’ before removing his big sunglasses and I realised who it was 😂

Bin painters and stewards mixing with A list DJs 😂🤯

• Upvote 1

55 minutes ago, stuie said:

Bonkers Can’t explain it people 

1 hour ago, Leyrulion said:

Maceos is the best relatively accesible crew bar. Guerilla bar gives it a run for it's money, but is hard to access. Guerilla often have fairly big acts, e.g. Little Simz, Hollie Cook, Shy FX, Don Letts. It's common to see fairly big acts in the back stage bars at West Holts and Theatre and Circus, e.g. Groove Armada and Michael Franti with Spearhead.

8 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

Maceos is the best relatively accesible crew bar. Guerilla bar gives it a run for its money, but is hard to access. Guerilla often have fairly big acts, e.g. Little Simz, Hollie Cook, Shy FX, Don Letts. It's common to see fairly big acts in the back stage bars at West Holts and Theatre and Circus, e.g. Groove Armada and Michael Franti with Spearhead.

You mean shangri-la? Gorilla? Not had any problem getting in there.

1 minute ago, stuie said:

You mean shangri-la? Gorilla? Not had any problem getting in there.

Yea, behind the Truth Stage.

Interesting, normally you need a "membership card" which can be relatively hard to come by. Anytime I've given someone a card they been amazed with comments like "where the f*ck did you get that". Last year it was usually rammed and not omitting people even with the card.

Fortunately I know the bar manager and the head of security, they have their own, so no need for a card and will always be let in.

9 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

Yea, behind the Truth Stage.

Interesting, normally you need a "membership card" which can be relatively hard to come by. Anytime I've given someone a card they been amazed with comments like "where the f*ck did you get that". Last year it was usually rammed and not omitting people even with the card.

Fortunately I know the bar manager and the head of security, they have their own, so no need for a card and will always be let in.

Is there 2 in shangri-la then? We didn’t have membership cards! 

Just now, stuie said:

Is there 2 in shangri-la then? We didn’t have membership cards! 

Too access the one I'm taking about, you go through the gate to the track that goes behind The Truth Stage/the Diner etc, just below the railway track. Unless you have a Shangri La crew band you need to enter at tthe Gas Tower end. It's a small marquee kind of leopard skin theme with a seated area outside, directly behind the Truth Stage.

It's possible they were being slack with admitance if it was quiet inside when you arrived. But without either a card or a Shangri La band it's usually hard to get past the gate.

22 hours ago, Skip997 said:

Maceos is the best relatively accesible crew bar. Guerilla bar gives it a run for it's money, but is hard to access. Guerilla often have fairly big acts, e.g. Little Simz, Hollie Cook, Shy FX, Don Letts. It's common to see fairly big acts in the back stage bars at West Holts and Theatre and Circus, e.g. Groove Armada and Michael Franti with Spearhead.

Guerilla bar.  Is that an old style name.  I have not met it before. I am sure it’s good from what you say

13 minutes ago, marathonsteve said:

Guerilla bar.  Is that an old style name.  I have not met it before. I am sure it’s good from what you say

That's the current name and what it's always been called.

You wouldn't know it's there, unless you knew. Unlike some of the other crew bars it's well hidden.

Edited by Skip997

24 minutes ago, stuie said:

Sounds a bit exclusive! How does anyone find it first time then? I guess it must attract a few with ShyFx and Sims 

It's meant to be a bit exclusive, a kind of "hideaway" for old school crew types. It's a word of mouth type thing.  It can get very busy. Not sure how well publicised the acts are, there are no list of artists or visible programme, I get my info from the bar manager (one of my oldest friends). 

Edited by Skip997

3 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

It's meant to be a bit exclusive, a kind of "hideaway" for old school crew types. It's a word of mouth type thing.  It can get very busy. Not sure how well publicised the acts are, there are no list of artists or visible programme, I get my info for the bar manager (one of my oldest friends). 

It’s all a bit vagueeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeAs long as you have enjoyed yourself    All is good

12 hours ago, Skip997 said:

It's meant to be a bit exclusive, a kind of "hideaway" for old school crew types. It's a word of mouth type thing.  It can get very busy. Not sure how well publicised the acts are, there are no list of artists or visible programme, I get my info from the bar manager (one of my oldest friends). 

One year the crew bar in there was the tube train - we were all allowed in that year. To my shame I found out last year (after all this time) that I had been saying Maceo's wrong. 

25 minutes ago, giantkatestacks said:

One year the crew bar in there was the tube train - we were all allowed in that year. To my shame I found out last year (after all this time) that I had been saying Maceo's wrong. 

The tube train was there last year too. Shangri-la crew bar, 2022. 

0B82442C-5A0C-4C7B-BD47-61636704E632.jpeg

4E3829D8-F65A-4376-9C25-8A7558C8C738.jpeg

• Upvote 1