1st time & repeat pyramid headliners

swede

58 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

Why on earth would anyone wish for U2 to play, they're up against Oasis for the most overrated band of all time. 

Ehhhhhh not a huge fan but this is definitely a stretch. They’ve got at least five or six absolute belters which is at least five or six more than the Gallaghers could dream of writing. 

20 hours ago, danmarks said:

It was dull. And a little bit spot the tune where things were rejigged. Dunno. Other people may have loved it but it didn't hit in the way i hoped for.

Started so well with the silhouette of him during Rebel Rebel, but throwing in quicksand and doing those remixes really drained the life out of me by the time he got to ziggy stardust 

The Who the night before is still the greatest thing I’ve ever seen 

Edited by swede

32 minutes ago, swede said:

Started so well with the silhouette of him during Rebel Rebel, but throwing in quicksand and doing those remixes really drained the life out of me by the time he got to ziggy stardust 

The Who the night before is still the greatest thing I’ve ever seen 

Hah im in the dvd of that who show during baba o rielly and my generation. Have seen the who about 14 times now in various forms. Definitely in my top 3 x

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, danmarks said:

Hah im in the dvd of that who show during baba o rielly and my generation. Have seen the who about 14 times now in various forms. Definitely in my top 3 x

Someone on here kindly sent me a bootleg cd of the gig quite a few years  afterwards, I couldn’t believe how good it sounded. 

Townsends guitar sounded like it could topple buildings that night

2 minutes ago, swede said:

Someone on here kindly sent me a bootleg cd of the gig quite a few years  afterwards, I couldn’t believe how good it sounded. 

Townsends guitar sounded like it could topple buildings that night

Dvd (im old) is about 5 quid on amazon (other tax payer places are available) def worth a,re watch 

https://youtu.be/dLZ3uGd3gTo

19 hours ago, tevaburger said:

EStreeters and U2 for 2024 then. 'Outlaw Pete' dropped from set. 

Just curious, why does Outlaw Pete get dropped? I know it's long, but I enjoyed it in 2009. Or is it a victim of something that I have not spotted? Is there a problem with it in 2022?

Went to YouTube to watch it. The bloody I❤️Sausages flag is in it at 18 seconds. Reminded me of how it was in my way for all of that set and NY the night before IIRC!!

Edited by Neville Street
added link for anybody curious, enjoy

4 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Has he played it at all since the Working On A Dream era?

Now I have to check Setlist.fm. I am supposed to be at work. Maybe not Working On A Dream, but working to pay for Boss and G tix next year!!!

image.png.06fece173beb80a861993ef00fa51915.png

You are correct, only played it once since the end of the 2009 tour. Would love to see it back for next years European dates, but I suspect we have had our one chance to see it played live.

Edited by Neville Street
setlist data added

On 7/27/2022 at 4:53 AM, Neville Street said:

https://youtu.be/dLZ3uGd3gTo

Just curious, why does Outlaw Pete get dropped? I know it's long, but I enjoyed it in 2009. Or is it a victim of something that I have not spotted? Is there a problem with it in 2022?

Went to YouTube to watch it. The bloody I❤️Sausages flag is in it at 18 seconds. Reminded me of how it was in my way for all of that set and NY the night before IIRC!!

Lots of Springsteen fans on the Backstreets forums lament the song as one of his worst, and it featured so prominently and so early (third song in generally?) on the front end of that tour that it sort of took the momentum out early... Trying to convert the Pyramid field that evening with Outlaw Pete so early in the set probably put off a few curious skepticals... I for one, thought it was a great set, one of my fave on the Pyramid

Neil specifically on here would complain in the days after that '09 set how he left the field as soon as 'Outlaw Pete' came on (I recall he was playing the new album in the months prior to the set to see what this 'Boss' person was about and was already complaining about 'that song' prior to late June), which is why I mentioned that song in his post.

I find Working on a Dream to be one of his - or perhaps 'the' - weakest albums overall and it's just a shame that the timing of his one Glastonbury appearance came just as that album was coming out. Who knows what might be out come June 2024, but it surely will be better than Working on a Dream, even if nothing new comes out. 

I saw Springsteen in May, June, Sept, Oct, and Nov that year ('09') and by the November show Outlaw Pete was gone from the setlist. 

Thanks for the comprehensive explanation, I can see that having it so early is not a good way to convert the non Bruce fans in a field. It’s my favourite track on that album.

I am a Bruce fan, but not an obsessive, I don’t know the catalog inside out like many people. I enjoyed his autobiography, the Broadway show (on Netflix, not in person!), I have seen him live at Glastonbury and at Crystal Palace on the Rising tour a long time ago, and I am looking forward to seeing him in Italy next year. And maybe at Glastonbury in 2024 🙂

Just off to the framers with our limited edition print of this image. The kids gave it to us for Christmas, just getting around to getting it framed. That gig was my all time favourite Pyramid set, but I think it got nudged into second place by Paul McCartney this year….

69E2390D-6252-4620-B9C3-807AB1B72672.jpeg