Leo Kearse - Thoughts on Glastonbury

Alvoram

2 hours ago, Alvoram said:

Not sure if it's been posted anywhere else... but I thought this was hilarious... A bit close to the bone, but funny none the less.

Not really close to the bone, more absolutely fucking dire. Nice to see the comments section supports the fact his audience are Covid and global warming denying nutjobs. 

I'm sure the 'woke establishment' are feeling the burn as we speak. 

1 hour ago, kingbadger said:

Not really close to the bone, more absolutely fucking dire. Nice to see the comments section supports the fact his audience are Covid and global warming denying nutjobs. 

I'm sure the 'woke establishment' are feeling the burn as we speak. 

40 minutes ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

What a monumental bell end. Boring, juvenile drivel, at best. I should imagine that they'll be a lot of 'other' comedians shaking in their boots when he's also on the same bill as them.  I mean the man's a tsunami of banality beyond compare.

The observations are supposed to be funny, not serious, it's a joke... And plays on subjects I see on here a lot too, the old "The festival isn't what it used to be, it's too middle class now" thing for example. (Hence my close to the bone remark.)

I actually assumed he was a glasto regular, or else he wouldn't know about some of the little details he mentions (disposable ecigs for example, was an issue this year that hasn't really been news at all beyond this forum.) 

As a side note, I have absolutely no idea who this guy is, had never heard of him before, nor have I seen any of his other material, and I've no real interest in seeing it either, this just made me laugh (a lot) as it summed up a lot of discussions and debates I see about Glasto, including (especially?) on here.

Anyway, I seem to be alone in my enjoyment of ironic humour, (or the irony is lost on some, one of the two.) So I'll just shut up now... 🙈😂

**Makes note to self, never mention any of the controversial comedians I really do enjoy regularly on here... 😬

Edited by Alvoram
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Alvoram said:

The observations are supposed to be funny, not serious, it's a joke... And plays on subjects I see on here a lot too, the old "The festival isn't what it used to be, it's too middle class now" thing for example. (Hence my close to the bone remark.)

I actually assumed he was a glasto regular, or else he wouldn't know about some of the little details he mentions (disposable ecigs for example, was an issue this year that hasn't really been news at all beyond this forum.) 

As a side note, I have absolutely no idea who this guy is, had never heard of him before, nor have I seen any of his other material, and I've no real interest in seeing it either, this just made me laugh (a lot) as it summed up a lot of discussions and debates I see about Glasto, including (especially?) on here.

Anyway, I seem to be alone in my enjoyment of ironic humour, (or the irony is lost on some, one of the two.) So I'll just shut up now... 🙈😂

**Makes note to self, never mention any of the controversial comedians I really do enjoy regularly on here... 😬

Hello Alvoram,

Thank you for that post. It identifies an area that obviously needs clearing up. All perceived humour is as subjective as that of music. In line with this, my own words were never intended as an attack on you / your perception / identification of what you find funny. My 'input' was purely aimed at that 'comedian', I can assure you. 🙂 *

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

Hello Alvoram,

Thank you for that post. It identifies an area that obviously needs clearing up. All perceived humour is as subjective as that of music. In line with this, my own words were never intended as an attack on you / your perception / identification of what you find funny. My 'input' was purely aimed at that 'comedian', I can assure you. 🙂 *

Oh no worries 🙂 I didn't take it as an attack on me personally... Although I did worry that some posters had taken it more as a political statement than a piece of comedy, which was never my intention when sharing it. (Nor, I hope, the comedian's.) 

Having said that, I did start to wonder if this 'unknown to me' comedian maybe had a tainted history and bad reputation that I wasn't aware of? 

The name was vaguely familiar so Googled him and he's one of the guys who appears on GB News. Which makes sense after watching the clip. Like the other comedians (was so tempted to do the whole "so called comedians" but I'm better than that) that appear on there he just isn't very good. Actually, to be fair, Simon Evans can construct a decent joke. But it's much easier to blame the 'woke establishment' than accept you may need a career change. As to what was said, like you said, nothing that hasn't been posted on here, only less funny.

Probably the funniest thing he's done is getting 114 votes standing for the Reclaim Party in Glasgow.

I didn't find it funny and objectively quite basic in its jokes. Sometimes quite bad taste. To each their own. He does pick a few key topics though, too bad the treatment isn't quality.

(And now I am wondering if Springsteen and Grohl flew over for McCa, which I do find questionable)

31 minutes ago, moogster said:

I didn't find it funny and objectively quite basic in its jokes. Sometimes quite bad taste. To each their own. He does pick a few key topics though, too bad the treatment isn't quality.

(And now I am wondering if Springsteen and Grohl flew over for McCa, which I do find questionable)

I doubt it, but even if they did, it's like most of the other subjects he raised... All about the greater good. We all know those 5 days of indulgence are counter to many of the festival's principles, but they're worth that price once a year for the sheer amount of awareness the festival creates.

I'm sure Leo knows that too, it's just nice easy subject matter / content for him. 

One thing that I did wonder about, was why there is so little use of solar and wind power... There will be a good reason, I just cannot work it out. 

3 hours ago, philipsteak said:

he's one of the guys who appears on GB News. 

Didn't know that... 😕 (Does that channel even still exist?) 

26 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Wait until you see any other comedy ever. You'll be beside yourself.

Will I really? That's good to know, perhaps you could recommend some?

Clearly 38 years, 1000s of hours of streaming current comedians, countless DVD's from the previous 2 decades, and even all those VHS videos going back to the 80s (fuck me you'd really throw a hissy fit at some of them! Anybody remember Sinderella or UFO? 🙈*) clearly hasn't been enough to shape my sense of humour such that it falls perfectly in line with your own. Obviously I am a failed human being and must work on this failing immediately. 

**Cue comedy binge montage... 

Nope... Still find it funny... Because it's every glasto argument and debate compressed into 6 minutes of irony. Regardless of who the comedian is, I don't have to agree with something to find it funny...

*Yes, I agree that RCB is a sexist pig, before anybody gets upset by his reference. 

46 minutes ago, Alvoram said:

I'm sure Leo knows that too, it's just nice easy subject matter / content for him. 

That's the thing. There's no actual jokes or scything insight. Just someone monetising a video by spouting loads of buzzwords and hot topics at an audience of Daily Mail comments contributors, aimed at getting them thinking its some sort of 'gotcha' moment. 

2 hours ago, Alvoram said:

I doubt it, but even if they did, it's like most of the other subjects he raised... All about the greater good. We all know those 5 days of indulgence are counter to many of the festival's principles, but they're worth that price once a year for the sheer amount of awareness the festival creates.

One thing that I did wonder about, was why there is so little use of solar and wind power... There will be a good reason, I just cannot work it out. 

Didn't know that... 😕 (Does that channel even still exist?) 

The GB news channel is designed for those daily mail readers who are sick fed up with the lurch to the left of their favourite newspaper

6 hours ago, kingbadger said:

That's the thing. There's no actual jokes or scything insight. Just someone monetising a video by spouting loads of buzzwords and hot topics at an audience of Daily Mail comments contributors, aimed at getting them thinking its some sort of 'gotcha' moment. 

That’s a fair assessment to be honest. He just went and compressed every moan there’s been around the topic into a 6 minute video.

Made me laugh though. Small things huh? 🤷🏻‍♂️

5 hours ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

The GB news channel is designed for those daily mail readers who are sick fed up with the lurch to the left of their favourite newspaper

2 hours ago, Matt42 said:

Like the British equivalent of Fox News tbh. “We’re a society in decline” is modern day evangelicalism. The idea of cultural degeneracy is just tiresome.

I heard it was kinda racist, so stayed away. Wasn’t it modelled on Sky News Australia or something? Maybe I imagined that? 

6 hours ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Good too see you have a thick skin about it.

Don’t be silly, that’s just excess layers of fat. 

The tone of your first reply was very condescending. I had a choice, I could take it on the chin or tell you to go fuck yourself… I guess I have a glass chin… 🤷🏻‍♂️😂😉