Fitness for Glastonbury 2023

gigpusher

9 minutes ago, moogster said:

There's a facebook group for that. Look for event "GLastonbury Thursday 5K run". Sorry I can't link it now but you should find it. 

Edited to add it's at 9am so probably a bit earlier than you'd like. But there's another one at 10 am from Greenpeace apparently. Run & Rave

Excellent, thank you. Will have a look...

12 hours ago, philipsteak said:

So for those of you who've followed my saga and been really supportive, a little update.

Had my latest round of tests last week and am due to see the GP on Thursday to discuss but a combination of insomnia and the heat means i ain't getting back to sleep tonight so thought I'd check the NHS app and...

I AM BELOW THE THRESHOLD FOR TYPE 2 DIABETES!!!

Pretty much bang on 6 months since diagnosis! I am so f**king pleased with this. So happy. Now there are caveats and i can't yet describe myself as in remission but very much on the way. This was achieved with medication so I need to get there results without Metformin and I then need to maintain those figures for another 3 months after. Which is what I'll be discussing with the doctor on Thursday.

some numbers for the stats fans. Normal range is 20-42, pre diabetes is 42-47 and 48 and above is diabetes. My initial diagnosis was 113. So REALLY diabetic. And my latest is 35. 

And just in general I am obviously so much fitter and healthier than I was 6 months ago. Currently knocking out hikes I couldn't have dreamed of 6 months ago. Tackled some pretty big fells recently and seem to have accidentally become a Wainwright bagger. Although I refuse to buy a map case. Fancied a change last week so did some of the Cumbrian coastal path and did 19 miles on day one followed by 16 on day two. And felt fine  I'm also not being as super strict on my diet now. I'm still careful obviously, but the very occasional treat is now allowed (as any normal person should). One of my problems in the past was they weren't occasional. And I've stopped using an app to track calories/carbs etc. It was very useful at the time but that way potential eating disorders lie. I would really have struggled with the super low calorie and low carb thing without it but I have a better idea of what I can and can't eat now. I'm maintaining my weight and look a million times better than I did in December.

BRING ON THE FARM!

Out of upvotes, but well Bloody done.  Hugely impressive show of effort and will.  *doffs cap*

I did a sprint interval session on the bike last night.  My fitness generally is much better, but my leg strength has dropped off a cliff following the enforced absence at the start of the year.  Need to get my "zip" back.  It was agonising and I nearly collapsed when I got up this morning!  First time the worst time as they say....

Oh, and the 27 degree heat at 7:30pm was insane.

Thanks all, it's much appreciated. 

I've said it before but I'll say it again, this thread is ace. It's genuinely been such a massive help. A bunch of random festival obsessives on the internet. All so different, with different aims/needs, from fat blokes with diabetes to literal marathon runners, all being so positive and supportive. No snark, no dickheads. Even when the rest of the forum was a skip fire. Back when I was first diagnosed and was too ashamed to talk about it, you lot were the first people I told and had a place I could talk.

So thanks. A lot.

Seeing the GP today to formally be told and discuss options, although I know what I'm doing, coming off the Metformin and still aiming for remission. As it happens one of my oldest friends is visiting so we are off to lunch after at a quite fancy restaurant, Kysty and f**k it, I am having dessert!

Edited by philipsteak
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 6/12/2023 at 11:41 AM, Alvoram said:

Day 189:

Weight: 278lb 
Daily Change: Unknown
Total Loss: 6lb

Been a while, Life just gets in the way sometimes doesn't it? 

Since Christmas I've had a horrendous list of things going wrong in my life, I won't bore you with the details, but it hasn't been fun... I stopped exercising (again) and ate so much food. I shot up to 305lb!!!! 

Anyway, a few months ago things started turning around a little bit, one by one I worked through all of the things that were going wrong (still not 100% there, but getting there.) So 8 weeks ago I started trying to lose weight again. Walking, Jogging (indoor / treadmill) and watching what I eat. I'm now back down to below 20 stone, which, whilst it's not where I thought I'd be when I first started these posts, it is lower than when I started, and I'm in a much better place than I thought I was going to be when looking forward 3 months ago. 

Whilst I'm not at an ideal weight for the farm... Dropping 27lb in 8 weeks definitely makes you feel lighter and more energetic, so in that way I'm ready for it... Bring it on. 

My only concern now is that I ruin all the hard work in 2 days on the farm by drinking loads (this is none negotiable) on Weds and Thurs 🙈🙈

Sorry to hear life has been tough at times this year. Think it's good to acknowledge that though and your achievements are fantastic!

On 6/13/2023 at 4:28 AM, philipsteak said:

So for those of you who've followed my saga and been really supportive, a little update.

Had my latest round of tests last week and am due to see the GP on Thursday to discuss but a combination of insomnia and the heat means i ain't getting back to sleep tonight so thought I'd check the NHS app and...

I AM BELOW THE THRESHOLD FOR TYPE 2 DIABETES!!!

Pretty much bang on 6 months since diagnosis! I am so f**king pleased with this. So happy. Now there are caveats and i can't yet describe myself as in remission but very much on the way. This was achieved with medication so I need to get there results without Metformin and I then need to maintain those figures for another 3 months after. Which is what I'll be discussing with the doctor on Thursday.

some numbers for the stats fans. Normal range is 20-42, pre diabetes is 42-47 and 48 and above is diabetes. My initial diagnosis was 113. So REALLY diabetic. And my latest is 35. 

And just in general I am obviously so much fitter and healthier than I was 6 months ago. Currently knocking out hikes I couldn't have dreamed of 6 months ago. Tackled some pretty big fells recently and seem to have accidentally become a Wainwright bagger. Although I refuse to buy a map case. Fancied a change last week so did some of the Cumbrian coastal path and did 19 miles on day one followed by 16 on day two. And felt fine  I'm also not being as super strict on my diet now. I'm still careful obviously, but the very occasional treat is now allowed (as any normal person should). One of my problems in the past was they weren't occasional. And I've stopped using an app to track calories/carbs etc. It was very useful at the time but that way potential eating disorders lie. I would really have struggled with the super low calorie and low carb thing without it but I have a better idea of what I can and can't eat now. I'm maintaining my weight and look a million times better than I did in December.

BRING ON THE FARM!

Brilliant news. You are just the kind of inspirational figure that a lot of us in this thread need.

5 hours ago, philipsteak said:

Thanks all, it's much appreciated. 

I've said it before but I'll say it again, this thread is ace. It's genuinely been such a massive help. A bunch of random festival obsessives on the internet. All so different, with different aims/needs, from fat blokes with diabetes to literal marathon runners, all being so positive and supportive. No snark, no dickheads. Even when the rest of the forum was a skip fire. Back when I was first diagnosed and was too ashamed to talk about it, you lot were the first people I told and had a place I could talk.

So thanks. A lot.

This is and always has been my aim in setting up this thread. It's why I never called it weight loss or any other things that can be put into similar categories. Fitness for everyone is a personal journey. For some people it might be to up their activity, get healthier eating habits, for some it might be to gain weight or muscle, some might be taking on monumental achievements like ultra marathons or huge mountain climbs. Fitness to me can mean not getting so out of breath by the time I climb the hill of death whereas someone else might want to be able to sprint up and down it.

We're here to support everyone in their goals and I love that everyone is supportive of everyone's achievements and the day I get back I'll be setting up next year's thread. Being able to do the endurance activity that is Glastonbury can be a key motivator for me!!

8 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

Brilliant news. You are just the kind of inspirational figure that a lot of us in this thread need.

This is and always has been my aim in setting up this thread. It's why I never called it weight loss or any other things that can be put into similar categories. Fitness for everyone is a personal journey. For some people it might be to up their activity, get healthier eating habits, for some it might be to gain weight or muscle, some might be taking on monumental achievements like ultra marathons or huge mountain climbs. Fitness to me can mean not getting so out of breath by the time I climb the hill of death whereas someone else might want to be able to sprint up and down it.

We're here to support everyone in their goals and I love that everyone is supportive of everyone's achievements and the day I get back I'll be setting up next year's thread. Being able to do the endurance activity that is Glastonbury can be a key motivator for me!!

Shucks, you're making me blush...

Thanks for setting it up, you created a wonderful little thread.

Good work everyone!

I'll be off for my last pre-Glasto cycle later.  Then having a few rest days before going down on Tuesday night to make sure my legs/feet are "match fit"!

Just wanted to say that I'm quite proud of what I've achieved over the last few months and think everyone who posts here should be equally proud of themselves.

I've also decided that when I return I'll be trying to shift a further stone in weight before I go on Holiday in September.  If I manage to get down to 13st, that will be the lightest I've been in over 20 years.

Kinda late in here, well done all on achievements!

I’d tried to get fit for last years but left it too late, had just started feeling as though was getting somewhere then it was end June before I knew it. Felt good last year, legs a bit sore after day one. Caught the dreaded post Glasto norovirus /Covid /flu or whatever it was which knocked me for weeks after. 

took a while to get back going but have got stuck in at gym, doing weights as well as cardio.. I’ve lost 2 stone (down to weight I want to be) and feel pretty good about this year. Last few weeks been doing a couple of 3k power walks a day, have got way past the sore leg stage

Anyways, thought I’d put this up, haven’t really mentioned to anyone I know why I’ve been on a fitness mission !

My advice is, keep whatever you have been doing up afterwards, you’ve done the hard bit!

Have a good one all !

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, Sack truck said:

Kinda late in here, well done all on achievements!

I’d tried to get fit for last years but left it too late, had just started feeling as though was getting somewhere then it was end June before I knew it. Felt good last year, legs a bit sore after day one. Caught the dreaded post Glasto norovirus /Covid /flu or whatever it was which knocked me for weeks after. 

took a while to get back going but have got stuck in at gym, doing weights as well as cardio.. I’ve lost 2 stone (down to weight I want to be) and feel pretty good about this year. Last few weeks been doing a couple of 3k power walks a day, have got way past the sore leg stage

Anyways, thought I’d put this up, haven’t really mentioned to anyone I know why I’ve been on a fitness mission !

My advice is, keep whatever you have been doing up afterwards, you’ve done the hard bit!

Have a good one all !

Well done! Hope you reap the rewards of your hard work in the fields!

• Upvote 1

I wanted to build up my stamina for all the trekking so started Couch to 5K as I surprised myself by actually liking the mental health benefits that running gives. Today I did week 6 run 1. I did the killer week 5 run 3 (first 20 mins run) in the gym earlier this week - the bloody air-con has broken - jeez did I sweat!! Pretty proud of myself to be honest. Jo Whiley is my couching voice. 

• Upvote 1

Intended to go for a 10k this morning got about 5k, and had pain in my right knee. Stopped running, but then had a 5k walk home. Don't think it's anything to worry about, but I'm being super cautious at this point!

Yes sounds familiar. I still have that pain in my hip from overestimating what my body could do on Friday (knee next to ear? Push all body up in one swift move? Yeah go for it! Not...) so have just put a stop to anything more than having a nice long flat stroll.

Same here, I'm going to use the weekend to pack properly, do a shop, recheck I know where my ticket it (still hung on the wall 🙂 ) and generally worry about something going wrong in some way 😄

So I'll probably do some more short walks to wear in my old boots (put in some new comfy insoles) but no more big cycle rides - coming off and hurting myself this close to the festival would be rubbish!

It's also a good 'pause' in my aim of moving at least 10km a day this year - yesterdays big ride took me ober 3650km for the year to date, so I have technically met my goal and can veg out for the rest of the year 😄

image.png.3377b2e6c58fea5234c6d0d0ff413a53.png

But while the weight isn't falling off as fast as I'd hoped, I do feel so much better than six months ago, so I'm going to keep at it after the festival too (and possibly during, I'll have my little 'shopper' bike to get me around the site if the ground conditions stay amiable)

Biggest thing is to try and prevent blisters, I never seem to be able to avoid them, by saturday i'm limping 😕

I think we should start our own wellness program an  "Fitness > weight". 

But yes, let's all be very gentle on our bodies until next week!

I received an email that I need to do some cycling before the end of the month for some environmental program I'm helping this summer (logging bat sound) and am SO doing this AFTER the festival. At least it will take my mind of the post Glasto Blues.

Elton John, Fatboy Slim and others just came on the feature playlist in my gym Blaze class!! I was grinning from ear to ear and shouted 'woop' without realising. Then I proceeded to tell the lady next to me how it's like the playlist was just meant for me because I'm going to Glastonbury and it's my last Friday of work...blah blah...while she just looked at me like she couldn't give a flying foof 🤣🤣

Absolutely vibes!!!

Edited by Bike_Like_A_Mum

This day last year I got taken into hospital with gallstones and jaundice, spent 5 days there and missed Glasto.

Today I just smashed 5 mins off my PB in Leeds 10k. Having a beer and about to start packing for Glasto.

Feeling pretty f**king good!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Northtim said:

This day last year I got taken into hospital with gallstones and jaundice, spent 5 days there and missed Glasto.

Today I just smashed 5 mins off my PB in Leeds 10k. Having a beer and about to start packing for Glasto.

Feeling pretty f**king good!

Excellent work.

• Like 1