Rock Werchter 2023

BenG92

8 minutes ago, Ken19 said:

Some time ago we've had Jazebel, a very reliable user. He said, and he was correct: if you program a festival, most of the time not your plan a, b, c, d will happen, but your plan e. 

Of course, friday Peppers weren't supposed to headline. The situation from july 2022 was not the same situation november 2022. And with the Peppers, Liam was not supposed to play that spot. Sometimes your plans fall apart. Think of Eddie Vedder in 2019 for example. 

A major headliner changed her plans and is in Europe in august. You can see how Sziget and Rock en Seine did some adjustments. Or Foo Fighters, that was really close, they decided to stay in the USA. One weekend RAR exclusive was a good option for them. 

After corona, in the business there was a vibe that the next years would be easy. With a lot of acts available. The war and energy crisis changed a lot. Festivals had to adapt themselves. Even frontrunners like Primavera and Glastonbury don't have the headliners they wanted originally. 

so we can finally exclude Billie from all line-up predictions for June/July festivals (probably she was the big name for Friday that has never played the fesitival before?).

Should we expect a Thursday headliner for RW tomorrow?

Edited by mln

Thanks for the infos @Ken19! And it confirms that Billie Eilish was the expected headliner for Friday and also the new-comer headliner I guess. I'm really surprised she decided to not play on June/July festivals, which are a bit more important than the August period... With Billie Eilish and Rage Against The Machine, the festival would have been so different!

25 minutes ago, Archi said:

Thanks for the infos @Ken19! And it confirms that Billie Eilish was the expected headliner for Friday and also the new-comer headliner I guess. I'm really surprised she decided to not play on June/July festivals, which are a bit more important than the August period... With Billie Eilish and Rage Against The Machine, the festival would have been so different!

not sure they are more important, more of them maybe

but Reading/leeds, Pukkelpop, Lowlands, Rock En Siene, Sziget, Electric Picnic are all major festivals 

also allows her to play in front of her core audience as they are in the school/college/Uni holidays 

12 hours ago, Ken19 said:

Some time ago we've had Jazebel, a very reliable user. He said, and he was correct: if you program a festival, most of the time not your plan a, b, c, d will happen, but your plan e. 

Of course, friday Peppers weren't supposed to headline. The situation from july 2022 was not the same situation november 2022. And with the Peppers, Liam was not supposed to play that spot. Sometimes your plans fall apart. Think of Eddie Vedder in 2019 for example. 

A major headliner changed her plans and is in Europe in august. You can see how Sziget and Rock en Seine did some adjustments. Or Foo Fighters, that was really close, they decided to stay in the USA. One weekend RAR exclusive was a good option for them. 

After corona, in the business there was a vibe that the next years would be easy. With a lot of acts available. The war and energy crisis changed a lot. Festivals had to adapt themselves. Even frontrunners like Primavera and Glastonbury don't have the headliners they wanted originally. 

Thanks for the insight, but does this mean that another Thursday headliner is off the table, and that Liam will be co-head/sub on Friday with no other major artist(s) coming?

10 hours ago, tmolvik said:

Thanks for the insight, but does this mean that another Thursday headliner is off the table, and that Liam will be co-head/sub on Friday with no other major artist(s) coming?

Based on the updated poster, it's clear RHCP and LG are the 2 biggest acts on Friday. And there's one act (co or head) missing on Thursday next to Stromae.

On 1/26/2023 at 10:08 AM, Ken19 said:

Always love to hear your insight Ken, love finding out things about the touring industry and how it all works.

Real shame that things fell apart a bit for Werchter this year. Not my cup of tea this year, or not enough to justify the cost for the travel, but I hope those going have a wonderful time! I’m sure you will, still the most organised festival I’ve ever been to

I guess we have the strong name next to Stromae...

1. Stromae - Stromzy - Sam Fender.
2. Red Hot - Liam Gallagher - Black Keys. 
3. Muse - Oscar And The Wolf - Machine Gun Kelly.
4. Arctic Monkeys - Queens Of The Stone Age - Lil Nas X.

This first day looks so akward next to the 3 others...