Arctic Monkeys

FloorFiller

Wondering if the new ending to knee socks is to fit in with the new album sound so new songs slot in nicely around it. 
Just watched their Reading set on iplayer and thought it was pretty solid, Alex never really has much crowd interaction so nothing new there.

3 hours ago, MaxPower said:

Think their chances of continuing the run of 100% of albums being UK number 1 has taken a HUGE hit with Taylor Swift’s new record being released the same day. 

My instinct is that one of them will move their release date back. But a genuine chart battle between the two would be quite something to see.

3 hours ago, MaxPower said:

Alex said in an interview with The Big Issue the other day that the setlist is going to be pretty fluid for the tour and they’re going to be chopping and changing.

I can see that not lasting very long, hopefully happens but i wouldn’t be shocked to see it not. Once the new songs are in there will be even less room to change the setlist up as well

I was at Reading. It was a bit of a weird vibe with people around me only really screaming the AM tracks. Also Arabella is a mid-set song (at best) not an encore tune.

i had hoped for ACR and a few others to be pulled out the bag following the recent interview saying they would ‘shuffle the deck’ for R&L - it was basically the same as the other tour dates so far.

also slowing down do me a favour and cornerstone (already slow!) was a bit frustrating 

In the interest of fairness a friend of mine say them at Rock en Seine on Thursday and said they were awesome. Only mildly jealous as I wanted to go to that but couldn't get the time out of work.

I do wonder however about the intensity drop. Much as Suck It and See is among the weaker LP's, they were brilliant live consistently on that tour whereas since AM's arrival they've been oddly more inconsistent. I'm not expecting Helders to be taxed by playing 2 hours straight of Brianstorm-paced tracks, but still.

I'm playing the iPlayer cut now. The crowd noise is fucking massive. Cutting Pretty Visitors from the BBC highlights bums me out though as that's one of my favourites of theirs and usually is quite fun live.

Edited by charlierc

6 minutes ago, SleepingGiants said:

Think Pulp are playing Tramlines.

But someone has said to me that AM may not even be playing Sheffield at all anymore...

Where's this come from regarding Pulp @ tramlines. Really hope it isn't true and they do their own gig separate as the majority of the Tramlines line up are rubbish.

7 minutes ago, ljb1995 said:

i had hoped for ACR and a few others to be pulled out the bag following the recent interview saying they would ‘shuffle the deck’ for R&L - it was basically the same as the other tour dates so far.

Talking of A Certain Romance, it still bemuses me they felt the need to bring it back for Finsbury Park 2014 but only in the form of an acoustic version. Which is better than Turner singing it to a drum loop, as I gathered happened on the Tranquility Base tour.

Certainly not as good Fluorescent Adolescent on piano, which was done once or twice in 2018 and which I thought actually sounded very good.

7 minutes ago, charlierc said:

In the interest of fairness a friend of mine say them at Rock en Seine on Thursday and said they were awesome. Only mildly jealous as I wanted to go to that but couldn't get the time out of work.

I do wonder however about the intensity drop. Much as Suck It and See is among the weaker LP's, they were brilliant live consistently on that tour whereas since AM's arrival they've been oddly more inconsistent. I'm not expecting Helders to be taxed by playing 2 hours straight of Brianstorm-paced tracks, but still.

I'm playing the iPlayer cut now. The crowd noise is fucking massive. Cutting Pretty Visitors from the BBC highlights bums me out though as that's one of my favourites of theirs and usually is quite fun live.

I saw them on the AM arena tour in Cardiff, 2013 - they were absolutely immense that night but I saw the 3 more times on the AM era tour and it was much more mixed (most likely due to the fact they were festivals as opposed to arena)

5 minutes ago, charlierc said:

Talking of A Certain Romance, it still bemuses me they felt the need to bring it back for Finsbury Park 2014 but only in the form of an acoustic version. Which is better than Turner singing it to a drum loop, as I gathered happened on the Tranquility Base tour.

Certainly not as good Fluorescent Adolescent on piano, which was done once or twice in 2018 and which I thought actually sounded very good.

I don't think ACR was played on the tranquility base tour. (just checked, played 1 time in Sheffield and that was it)

2 minutes ago, gfa said:

I don't think ACR was played on the tranquility base tour. (just checked, played 1 time in Sheffield and that was it)

I can't say the comments were favourable to doing it this way. As said, they also did a piano take on Fluorescent Adolescent in the same Sheffield residency and I liked the arrangement that had.

6 minutes ago, ljb1995 said:

I saw them on the AM arena tour in Cardiff, 2013 - they were absolutely immense that night but I saw the 3 more times on the AM era tour and it was much more mixed (most likely due to the fact they were festivals as opposed to arena)

My favourite time of the 4 still remains the first - Suck It and See Tour, London O2, 2011. Though I'd say I had a better time in the one TBHC Tour I show at Mad Cool Festival than either of the 2013/14 gigs I caught (no bass at Earls' Court ruined the sound mix, crap setlist at Finsbury Park).

23 minutes ago, scatteredscreens said:

Where's this come from regarding Pulp @ tramlines. Really hope it isn't true and they do their own gig separate as the majority of the Tramlines line up are rubbish.

In what way are the majority of Tramlines lineup rubbish? Some great indie bands, always great atmosphere and some classic hitters (ala Kasabian), all depends on your tastes I guess...

33 minutes ago, SleepingGiants said:

In what way are the majority of Tramlines lineup rubbish? Some great indie bands, always great atmosphere and some classic hitters (ala Kasabian), all depends on your tastes I guess...

Bar a few good acts like self esteem etc it's the same uninspired dross that gets chucked around all festivals that size. The line ups of Tramlines past when it wasn't so big was infinitely better and had a much better atmosphere and ethos.

Obviously it's all personal taste (this is a given) but I'd prefer Pulp not to be bogged down with uninspired indie acts. I like how you refer to Kasabian as well as they are literally who I'm referring to, shitty lad music 😅

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, charlierc said:

I think Harry Styles is this week's "stadium tour" announcement and we might have to wait another week or two before we get on sale dates.

Their final europe show is electric picnic in about a week, probably will come after that i reckon

1 minute ago, gfa said:

Their final europe show is electric picnic in about a week, probably will come after that i reckon

There's a lot of big stadium/huge arena tours that need to be announced in the coming weeks. Beyonce, AM, Rammstein, T Swift, U2 probably, RATM, ACDC probably, Depeche Mode, Kendrick Lamar, Ed Sheeran (see him doing something else this time around). There's even a rumored second Rolling Stones leg. 

Springsteen, Styles and Coldplay are locked but there's an avalanche of tours coming. 

14 minutes ago, lighthouse said:

There's a lot of big stadium/huge arena tours that need to be announced in the coming weeks. Beyonce, AM, Rammstein, T Swift, U2 probably, RATM, ACDC probably, Depeche Mode, Kendrick Lamar, Ed Sheeran (see him doing something else this time around). There's even a rumored second Rolling Stones leg. 

Springsteen, Styles and Coldplay are locked but there's an avalanche of tours coming. 

I didn't realise there was so much wow. Not sure about kendrick though, hes still got 2 o2 dates on sale ?

15 hours ago, Matt42 said:

I just don’t feel like I’ve seen a spark from them in a long time. Maybe it’s because the last few times I saw them (T 2014 and R&L 2014) they looked like a band who were tired of their own live shows. Their new sets look like more of exactly that.

Can’t put my finger on it but I feel like this mellow vibe they go for now doesn’t impress anyone? Like they’ve given up trying to build up some energy in their live show?

Also the fact that they continue to double down on AM being the album they’d rather be known for than anything else. Maybe they made so much money from AM that it all just doesn’t matter.

They are still one of the biggest acts in the UK, but if they play glasto I will probably try and go see someone else.

It was a pretty significant shot in the arm for them so it's not surprise they lean on it heavily during live sets. People like to dunk on AM but I think it's a pretty great record and there's some bangers on it.

3 hours ago, charlierc said:

I do wonder however about the intensity drop. Much as Suck It and See is among the weaker LP's, they were brilliant live consistently on that tour whereas since AM's arrival they've been oddly more inconsistent.

The Don Valley Bowl gigs on the SIAS tour were the best i've seen them. The whole band seemed well up for it. Can't believe they never released the full pro footage