LAWKS! It's the next announcement thread

jparx

Just now, Primalcrux said:

Seems like a very good guess 
Would probably swap out Speed of Sound and In My Place for Something Just like this and Charlie Brown, since I feel like they havent played the first two in quite a while. 

Also if I am not mistaken they will be releasing a new album (Moon Music?) this year still, so that might mix it up a bit

Crap, entirely missed Something Just Like This after banging on about it for ages. Think Speed of Sound is wishful thinking, but Every Teardrop Is a Waterfall hasn't been around on this tour much either.

Adventure of a Lifetime can get in the bin for me, as can Hymn for the Weekend. Think latter-day Coldplay's biggest problem is that for every massive hit I like, there is one which is just tosh.

4 hours ago, NorthernSoul52 said:

Screw it, let's have a stab at a set.

1 Higher Power
2 Adventure of a Lifetime
3 Paradise
4 Speed of Sound
5 The Scientist
6 Viva la Vida
7 Yellow
8 In My Place
9 Human Heart
10 Every Teardrop is a Waterfall
11 Hymn for the Weekend
12 Clocks
13 My Universe
14 A Sky Full of Stars

15 Glastonbury Surprise #1
16 Glastonbury Surprise #2
17 Fix You
18 Biutyful

Missing Spies, Everything’s not Lost and (for me one of their best) Shiver. All early stuff, but their best output IMO.

5 hours ago, NorthernSoul52 said:

Screw it, let's have a stab at a set.

1 Higher Power
2 Adventure of a Lifetime
3 Paradise
4 Speed of Sound
5 The Scientist
6 Viva la Vida
7 Yellow
8 In My Place
9 Human Heart
10 Every Teardrop is a Waterfall
11 Hymn for the Weekend
12 Clocks
13 My Universe
14 A Sky Full of Stars

15 Glastonbury Surprise #1
16 Glastonbury Surprise #2
17 Fix You
18 Biutyful

Princess of China as one of the surprise numbers in preparation for Rihanna headlining in 2025? 

10 hours ago, 4AssedMonkey said:

Missing Spies, Everything’s not Lost and (for me one of their best) Shiver. All early stuff, but their best output IMO.

I'd have Shiver in there if I was trying to do a crack at my personal preference and the tour template. Think fans probably have to be resigned to the fact we'll only see YellowClocks, Fix You, Viva la Vida and The Scientist in regular rotation as the cuts from their first four albums.

I'd be fascinated to see what a proper greatest hits tour looked like for 'em.

9 hours ago, Traci said:

Princess of China as one of the surprise numbers in preparation for Rihanna headlining in 2025? 

Did wonder about this one. Princess of China could make sense if they've got the ducks in a line.

15 hours ago, NorthernSoul52 said:

Crap, entirely missed Something Just Like This after banging on about it for ages. Think Speed of Sound is wishful thinking, but Every Teardrop Is a Waterfall hasn't been around on this tour much either.

Adventure of a Lifetime can get in the bin for me, as can Hymn for the Weekend. Think latter-day Coldplay's biggest problem is that for every massive hit I like, there is one which is just tosh.

Similarly I like Adventure but can’t stand Hymn. Would love Every Teardrop but they seem to have dropped it looking at the setlists. At least Magic pops up regularly which is a great song IMO. Martin hates Speed of Sound so can’t see that happening. Something Just Like This is nailed on I reckon, as is Charlie Brown (wristbands go blinkblinkblink!).

The surprises will be interesting, have to go some to top 2016 on that score.

15 minutes ago, MEGABOWL said:

Similarly I like Adventure but can’t stand Hymn. Would love Every Teardrop but they seem to have dropped it looking at the setlists. At least Magic pops up regularly which is a great song IMO. Martin hates Speed of Sound so can’t see that happening. Something Just Like This is nailed on I reckon, as is Charlie Brown (wristbands go blinkblinkblink!).

The surprises will be interesting, have to go some to top 2016 on that score.

Charlie Brown appears to have held steady despite not being a mahoosive hit. Think it must be a band favourite.

Speed of Sound may be disliked, but probably the biggest of their early material they don't touch. If it comes up anywhere, think it might be here!

As for the surprises - I'm assuming it'll be akin to the current tour, a pair of stripped-down covers with a guest artist. Not sure it will help the party factor with that approach, unless they were to pull off someone massive. Otherwise, think full band is the trick they'll need.

2 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

Seeing these Coldplay setlists makes me realise how little of their later stuff I know at all.

It's strange. They probably have enough hits that they could do a set full and completely ignore the first four records.

1 Higher Power
2 Adventure of a Lifetime
3 Paradise
4 Magic
5 Atlas
6 Let Somebody Go
7 Princess of China
8 Everglow
9 Something Just Like This
10 Charlie Brown
11 Hymn for the Weekend
12 Orphans
13 My Universe
14 A Sky Full of Stars

15 Glastonbury Surprise #1
16 Glastonbury Surprise #2
17 Every Teardrop is a Waterfall
18 Up&Up

For what it's worth, that's fourteen top-forty singles, another two that rank in their twenty best-selling efforts in the UK (as of 2021) and your two Glastonbury surprises.

3 minutes ago, NorthernSoul52 said:

It's strange. They probably have enough hits that they could do a set full and completely ignore the first four records.

1 Higher Power
3 Paradise
4 Magic
5 Atlas
6 Let Somebody Go
7 Princess of China
8 Everglow
10 Charlie Brown
11 Hymn for the Weekend
12 Orphans
13 My Universe
14 A Sky Full of Stars

18 Up&Up

For what it's worth, that's fourteen top-forty singles, another two that rank in their twenty best-selling efforts in the UK (as of 2021) and your two Glastonbury surprises.

Can they do it the other way round instead?

1 minute ago, Gnomicide said:

Can they do it the other way round instead?

In My Place
Speed of Sound
Violet Hill
Don't Panic
Yellow
God Put Upon a Smile On Your Face
The Scientist
Shiver
Talk
10 Politik
11 Trouble
12 Clocks
13 Everything's Not Lost
14 Life in Technicolour II

17 Fix You
18 Viva la Vida

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, NorthernSoul52 said:

1 Higher Power
3 Paradise
4 Magic
5 Atlas
6 Let Somebody Go
7 Princess of China
8 Everglow
10 Charlie Brown
11 Hymn for the Weekend
12 Orphans
13 My Universe
14 A Sky Full of Stars

18 Up&Up

I'm sure they could and fair play to them. Just one of those bands that haven't taken me with them on their journey at all. I generally play most of their new albums. I do most big releases but if they played that setlist above the only ones I recognise by name are Paradise and Every Teardrop is a waterfall and I don't especially love either of those. I'm sure if you played some of the others I might recognise them to hear them but it does re-iterate why I definitely won;t be watching them.

1 minute ago, gigpusher said:

I'm sure they could and fair play to them. Just one of those bands that haven't taken me with them on their journey at all. I generally play most of their new albums. I do most big releases but if they played that setlist above the only ones I recognise by name are Paradise and Every Teardrop is a waterfall and I don't especially love either of those. I'm sure if you played some of the others I might recognise them to hear them but it does re-iterate why I definitely won;t be watching them.

This is a good way to put it. While you don't want acts to stagnate, I always find it a bit of a disappointment when they veer so far off from their early stuff that you just don't like them anymore but you also have to admire them for doing something different.

31 minutes ago, NorthernSoul52 said:

In My Place
Speed of Sound
Violet Hill
Don't Panic
Yellow
The Scientist
Shiver
Talk
10 Politik
11 Trouble
12 Clocks
13 Everything's Not Lost

17 Fix You
18 Viva la Vida

Chuck "Moses" in there, too. That slaps.

40 minutes ago, NorthernSoul52 said:

In My Place
Speed of Sound
Violet Hill
Don't Panic
Yellow
The Scientist
Shiver
Talk
10 Politik
11 Trouble
12 Clocks
13 Everything's Not Lost

17 Fix You
18 Viva la Vida

Get Spies and Warning Sign in there, then I would be all over that. 

Edited by Alan_C

9 minutes ago, Gnomicide said:

This is a good way to put it. While you don't want acts to stagnate, I always find it a bit of a disappointment when they veer so far off from their early stuff that you just don't like them anymore but you also have to admire them for doing something different.

Yes and one of my favourite bands Radiohead have done it they have changed massively and I have mostly loved their changes but I appreciate absolutely that a lot of people feel the same way about them that I do about Coldplay and just wished they'd play their earlier stuff. I am well aware how divisive their 2017 set was which I absolutely loved.

Not everything is for everyone, nor should it be. It's ok for artists to change their style etc and it's ok for you not to love it either. I always tell my husband that's the great thing about music as opposed to sport. It seems with sports fandom you are stuck with your choices through thick and thin but if an artist releases something you don't like even if you have previously been a big fan you can just say nope that stuff's not for me and instead find someone else who is releasing the stuff that is for you.

30 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

Yeah, the transition from post-Britpop to straight-up.... this stuff is a fascinating one.

1 hour ago, NorthernSoul52 said:

In My Place
Speed of Sound
Violet Hill
Don't Panic
Yellow
The Scientist
Shiver
Talk
10 Politik
11 Trouble
12 Clocks
13 Everything's Not Lost

17 Fix You
18 Viva la Vida

38 minutes ago, Alan_C said:

Get Spies and Warning Sign in there, then I would be all over that. 

I'd be up for this.  Won't happen though.