2023 Stage Predictions

12 minutes ago, Green Croc said:

Very true, I can't remember the last time an indie band blew up from with just a couple of songs / debut album

I think the industry is just excited that indie music has made its way back into the charts. Because the market had pretty much given up on indie rock being commercially successful. We will see how it goes.

Emily in her Edith bowman interview sounds like she’s behind them. Perhaps they will be back next year on the pyramid? 4th or 5th down?

10 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

I think the industry is just excited that indie music has made its way back into the charts.

What is "indie music"?

As far as I understand it's not really a genre, but refers to acts on an independent label.

Independent music is music that is produced independently from commercial record labels or their subsidiaries, a process that may include an autonomous, do-it-yourself approach to recording and publishing.

Can you really know what to expect from an "indie" band? Like you could from, for example, a reggae band?

St Etienne are classified as indie, but bare absolutely no similarity at all to indie guitar bands.

On 8/18/2022 at 9:53 PM, Skip997 said:

What is "indie music"?

As far as I understand it's not really a genre, but refers to acts on an independent label.

Can you really know what to expect from an "indie" band? Like you could from, for example, a reggae band?

St Etienne are classified as indie, but bare absolutely no similarity at all to indie guitar bands.

I remember the good ol’ “Chart Show” on the telly years ago.

Memory is a bit hazy but recollect it often had the likes of S-Express or Kylie in her SAW days at the top of the Indie chart.

35 minutes ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

Interesting that Muse are touring next summer with Royal Blood as support at every gig except Glasgow, on the Glastonbury Friday. Could this mean Royal Blood  being on the farm ? 

Definitely plausible! Other Stage headliner? 

Anyone know why there's like a month gap between their first date in Plymouth and the next one in Huddersfield?

1 hour ago, Cammers said:

Anyone know why there's like a month gap between their first date in Plymouth and the next one in Huddersfield?

This is from the rumour mill, but have heard Muse have a London residency planned. A modest sized venue with an immersive experience but a multi night run. Heard this from someone who heard it from someone involved in licensing in London… so pinch of salt.

12 minutes ago, maelzoid said:

This is from the rumour mill, but have heard Muse have a London residency planned. A modest sized venue with an immersive experience but a multi night run. Heard this from someone who heard it from someone involved in licensing in London… so pinch of salt.

Expected such. Thank you for the feedback.

We talking 3/4+ nights at Brixton potentially?

It won't change my plans, I'll be heading down to Plymouth with friends 😄

11 hours ago, Cammers said:

Plymouth is where they formed so a special show i guess but still stuck on the main poster.

residency sounds cool - hope its brixton

Friday

Pyramid: Arctic Monkeys - Lana Del Rey – Ice Cube – Confidence Man

Other: Royal Blood  – PJ Harvey – Yung Blud - Slowthai

West Holts: Isley Brothers - Lady Wray - Noga Erez – Afriquoi

The Park: Hot Chip - Sault - Ezra Furman – Townes Van Zandt

John Peel: Weezer – Sampha - The Mysterines

Saturday

Pyramid: Taylor Swift – George Ezra – Rex Orange County

Other: Doja Cat - Jorja Smith – Blondie – Wet Leg - James

West Holts: Run the Jewels – FKA Twigs - Blood Orange

The Park: Manic Street Preachers -  Emeli Sande – Muna -

John Peel: King Gizzard – Jethro Tull – Juls  – Black Mdidi

Sunday

Pyramid: Elton John – Lizzo  – Lewis Capaldi - Spice Girls

Other: The Prodigy - Courteeners – Aitch – Lily Allen

West Holts: Rudimental -  Pink Pantheress – Buddy Guy – SPINALL

The Park: Sigur Ros – Broken Social Scene – Django Django

John Peel: NIN – Yeah Yeah Yeahs -  Big Joanie

Edited by MEGATRONICMEATWAGON

28 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Taylor against Doja? Hmm

Royal Blood against AM?

NIN in the JP is a lol

Apparently Royal Blood can only do the Friday if they're not subbing Muse that night. 

But I can admit that those clashes are unlikely. 

The rest is fairly solid though, I think.

Edited by MEGATRONICMEATWAGON

1 hour ago, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

Friday

Pyramid: Arctic Monkeys - Lana Del Rey – Ice Cube – Confidence Man

Other: Royal Blood  – PJ Harvey – Yung Blud - Slowthai

West Holts: Isley Brothers - Lady Wray - Noga Erez – Afriquoi

The Park: Hot Chip - Sault - Ezra Furman – Townes Van Zandt

John Peel: Weezer – Sampha - The Mysterines

Saturday

Pyramid: Taylor Swift – George Ezra – Rex Orange County

Other: Doja Cat - Jorja Smith – Blondie – Wet Leg - James

West Holts: Run the Jewels – FKA Twigs - Blood Orange

The Park: Manic Street Preachers -  Emeli Sande – Muna -

John Peel: King Gizzard – Jethro Tull – Juls  – Black Mdidi

Sunday

Pyramid: Elton John – Lizzo  – Lewis Capaldi - Spice Girls

Other: The Prodigy - Courteeners – Aitch – Lily Allen

West Holts: Rudimental -  Pink Pantheress – Buddy Guy – SPINALL

The Park: Sigur Ros – Broken Social Scene – Django Django

John Peel: NIN – Yeah Yeah Yeahs -  Big Joanie

A lot of this I don't see. Yungblud would sub Other, PJ Harvey I don't think subs Other so potential switch.

Blondie and James that far up the Other after opening on the Other stage slot I feel is unlikely. Liam has gone onto sub but with a much different setup. 

That Sunday Pyramid is a bit naff. It's a better Sunday than this year though. Yyys would headline JP I think but I see them 3rd down Other. 

36 minutes ago, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

Apparently Royal Blood can only do the Friday if they're not subbing Muse that night. 

But I can admit that those clashes are unlikely. 

The rest is fairly solid though, I think.

They can do the Saturday but I feel it will be Friday just because of the earlier set in the evening at MK being a sub. I think they are more likely to sub Arctics though that go against them.

Am I just out the loop or have Royal Blood done nothing of note since they last played the festival, third down on the pyramid? I know they had a record last year that went to #1, like their previous albums, but i thought it was largely considered “meh” and hasn’t exactly driven them to a higher level? What’s justifying them now being Other headliner? Wolf Alice released their best and biggest record since their last Glasto set and didn’t get a bump up of any note. Are we mistaking them just being around for a while for actually growing in size?

Edited by jparx

15 hours ago, Cammers said:

We talking 3/4+ nights at Brixton potentially?

My friend mentioned it a few months ago, so can't remember the exact details, but not Brixton. I want to say the Roundhouse, or something similar sized, and more than 3/4 nights. I gather the plans are a bit more involved than just gigs ie. a real experience unlike anything they've done before, so makes sense for them to be there for quite a few nights.

45 minutes ago, jparx said:

Am I just out the loop or have Royal Blood done nothing of note since they last played the festival, third down on the pyramid? I know they had a record last year that went to #1, like their previous albums, but i thought it was largely considered “meh” and hasn’t exactly driven them to a higher level? What’s justifying them now being Other headliner? Wolf Alice released their best and biggest record since their last Glasto set and didn’t get a bump up of any note. Are we mistaking them just being around for a while for actually growing in size?

I agree and I’m glad you’ve said it. I think they are getting a bit of the Wolf Alice treatment where because they are rock people think they are on an upward trajectory.

I think they could headline the other stage but I’d hesitate they are a weaker other stage headline than Foals. I really think they’d be third down pyramid if they played there again too.

Edited by Matt42

59 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

I agree and I’m glad you’ve said it. I think they are getting a bit of the Wolf Alice treatment where because they are rock people think they are on an upward trajectory.

I think they could headline the other stage but I’d hesitate they are a weaker other stage headline than Foals. I really think they’d be third down pyramid if they played there again too.

Wolf Alice were on an upward trajectory though, their last album outdid the one prior. And they still placed the same slot as they did previously, which further highlights the point I think.

Royal Blood are the same if not lower than in 2017. They flew out the blocks with their first record, but it feels like they’ve been hovering in place with each album, and for me standing still doesn’t justify a bump up. I totally agree, 3rd down Pyramid feels right.

1 hour ago, jparx said:

Whilst I agree kind of, Royal Blood have already headlined Victorious, Tramlines Fest and done a decent sized arena tour including The 02 and MEN. The only Other sub close to that level this year was Y&Y with Wembley Arena instead. The only act 3rd down Pyramid with similar was HAIM, and their tour wasn't as big either. The o2 and Hydro in Glasgow was their only huge arena dates. Manchester was was the Victoria Warehouse. Sam Fender would have been a sub this year but likely booked lower due to the amount of extra shows he was doing.

If they get them on a 3rd well done but RB don't need to accept that. I don't see them subbing Other at all either way. 10 UK 'arena's' overall.

If they headline Other, it won't be opposite Arctic Monkeys. However RB, Chemical Bros and Kasabian would be a decent Other trio. The only thing stopping me from putting them under Arctics is that I think Pulp and Nick Cave will be other other two and how Glastonbury is going I would be surprised with no female sub but then I'd also say the same for Pyramid sub.

11 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Is there a reason why we are putting Kasabian so high? Think they are more likely to open the other stage or play quite low?

I don’t think glastonbury is the place to give a massive slot to an act like that. 

Yeah kind of baffled by people suddenly thinking Kasabian will be taking up any kind of Pyramid sub/Other headliner slot at Glastonbury. Got all these mid sized festival headline slots based off of name alone, but there’s no denying they’ve dropped off massively without Tom and are essentially just a nostalgia band now, even with a somewhat successful new album. Other sub is about as high as I can see them getting realistically, if they’re booked at all.

• Upvote 1