2023 Stage Predictions

20 minutes ago, NorthernSoul52 said:

Aye, there's a definite push to have the finger on the pulse, as it were.

Yeah I’d say there aren’t a huge amount of artists who have slipped through the festivals fingers. Of course there are some who haven’t played but I’m not sure about their legend credentials. 

Think it’s more likely the legend slot in the future will invite back acts/previous headliners who are past it and can’t headline anymore.

59 minutes ago, NorthernSoul52 said:

Who are the "vintage" headliners of the future? Perhaps that's a question best saved for another thread... in another ten years...

Monkeys, Killers etc

thing is those kind of acts do it regularly anyway so they are hardly a shock vs these big ones like Paul, Elton etc being talked about who go away for 10+ years / haven't done it at all.

In that respect the vintage headliners are the ones that got away currently, e.g. RATM, Strokes

9 hours ago, gfa said:

Yeah i wasn't disagreeing with what you said, meant the other person. Those acts you listed are actually vintage though, foals with a new album in 3 years or so are not!

I guess my original reply wasn't focusing on the "vintage" act of a hypothetical Foals act appearing in 2037, more just the fact they could do it if variables went in their favour.

9 hours ago, kingbadger said:

Because they're huge, iconic, stadium selling heritage acts. Foals at their pomp have never been half the size those acts have been. 

I know, but that's not what I was saying. I wasn't trying to compare Foals to Elton/Macca, was just trying to say that the whole, "music doens't stand still" line of the argument doesn't hold up much merit when there are always heritage acts/legends/nostalgia bands at the festival. I mean, look at Arctic Monkeys, they're not exactly the cutting edge anymore are they and they're strongly rumoured. Elton is obviously huge, but hasn't released anything worthy for 25 years, and Swift came on the scene 18 years ago... none of them are exactly cutting edge/mega contemporary acts. Even this year, Noel Gallagher? Been around for 30 years. PSB... 40 years? Macca... since the Triassic era?! Haim have been around at the festival for ages, think they've played 3 times over the last decade, Elbow, Diana Ross, Rufus Wainwright... tonnes of bands who have been knocking about in middle Pyramid slots for years.

FWIW, as clarification, I do think Foals (or even Tame Impala) could headline outright, if the variables were all there, all the planets aligning.

1. Foals are very popular with the Festival and festival-goers. Their Park and Other performances had huge attendance - more so than one of the headliners this year and comparable with another.

2. They're still making music and could have another few corkers to add to their setlist - which is already pretty well-known and liked and Glasto-friendly.

3. In a slightly more difficult year to find MAHOOSIVE headliners, like when Kasabian/Mumford and Sons/Travis/Gorillaz/Florence had their chances, it's completely feasible for Foals to take a slot if they're available.

4. People need to reel in their expectations. Soon enough there's going to be no heritage acts left to go through. People are already struggling to think of anyone. Elton, Fleety Mac, the Prince rumours have dropped off, GnR unlikely, Madonna?... And who is gonna fill the void? Whoever is in the charts at the time? Seems a bit shallow to me just to throw in whoever is flavour of the month or because they've had a no.1 hit single that summer or one album.

Anyway, that's my two cents. I'm not trying to get stuck into a Tame Impala vs the 1975 vs Foals vortex, but I guess I already am 🤪

Edited by MEGATRONICMEATWAGON

1 minute ago, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

I mean, look at Arctic Monkeys, they're not exactly the cutting edge anymore are they and they're strongly rumoured. Elton is obviously huge, but hasn't released anything worthy for 25 years, and Swift came on the scene 18 years ago... none of them are exactly cutting edge/mega contemporary acts. Even the subs, Noel Gallagher? Been around for 30 years. PSB... 40 years? Macca... since the Triassic era?!

3. In a slightly more difficult year to find MAHOOSIVE headliners, like when Kasabian/Mumford and Sons/Travis/Gorillaz/Florence, it's completely feasible for Foals to take a slot if they're available.

On your first point, it doesn’t work to compare to Foals because AM still are touring like they were 10 years ago. While they aren’t a new band and it would be a stretch to call them contemporary now, they are still very popular with young people which sort of keeps them in this Peter Pan state.

And I think in a more difficult year they are more likely to take a punt on someone contemporary who is huge. Perhaps doubtful of their headlining credentials due to how early it is in their career. Stormzy, Dua, Dave etc type acts. Not indie acts who have been around forever. This is what I mean by saying music doesn’t stand still. They don’t need to take a punt on foals, if they are stuck there will be a newer shinier act they can push into their first headlining gig.

I think the crux of the Foals argument is a lot of people think that because they have released good music and have a good live show, it is fair that they should headline. Like it’s the right thing to do or a morally virtuous thing for the festival to offer.

But who gets to headline isn’t fair.

1 minute ago, Matt42 said:

On your first point, it doesn’t work to compare to Foals because AM still are touring like they were 10 years ago. While they aren’t a new band and it would be a stretch to call them contemporary now, they are still very popular with young people which sort of keeps them in this Peter Pan state.

And I think in a more difficult year they are more likely to take a punt on someone contemporary who is huge. Perhaps doubtful of their headlining credentials due to how early it is in their career. Stormzy, Dua, Dave etc type acts. Not indie acts who have been around forever. This is what I mean by saying music doesn’t stand still. They don’t need to take a punt on foals, if they are stuck there will be a newer shinier act they can push into their first headlining gig.

But Foals are also very popular with young people. Perhaps not quite to the levels of AM, but I think if the Fest had a pinch on their hands due to scheduling conflicts, or the acts just aren't there, or if they've already taken a punt on another artist for a different day and still need to fill a slot, they could easily call in Foals. A bit like always calling in Radiohead/Coldplay. Not that I'm saying they're comparable either to Foals.

And I totally get it, Glastonbury is far better today for it's more eclectic vibe that simply calling in all landfill indie. There's still landfill, but now it comes from multiple genres instead of just guitar/drum bands, haha.

But seriously... Dave looks likely to step up, but if he turned around and said he was in Croatia that weekend, I think Foals could easily be called up and booked.

6 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

I think the crux of the Foals argument is a lot of people think that because they have released good music and have a good live show, it is fair that they should headline. Like it’s the right thing to do or a morally virtuous thing for the festival to offer.

But who gets to headline isn’t fair.

I dunno. I think I want them to headline because they have good music and a good live show... 

I wouldn't go as far as saying morally virtuous, I'm certainly not a Foals-philosopher, lol. I certainly don't think the Fest owes the Foals anything. I think after watching their little YouTube video about their performance at the Park, they're super appreciative to play anywhere on site.

Anyway, if they're there in 2024 and headlining the Other again, I'll be there.*

*Clashes permitted.

6 minutes ago, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

But Foals are also very popular with young people. Perhaps not quite to the levels of AM, but I think if the Fest had a pinch on their hands due to scheduling conflicts, or the acts just aren't there, or if they've already taken a punt on another artist for a different day and still need to fill a slot, they could easily call in Foals. A bit like always calling in Radiohead/Coldplay. Not that I'm saying they're comparable either to Foals.

This presumes a lot though. In a doomsday scenario where all available acts are marooned on an island surely foals would get the gig? As you’ve explained a lot would have to go wrong for Foals to be front of the queue. 

If this scenario happens Foals headlining should be the least of our worries if they literally can’t find anyone to headline the festival. 

8 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

This presumes a lot though. In a doomsday scenario where all available acts are marooned on an island surely foals would get the gig? As you’ve explained a lot would have to go wrong for Foals to be front of the queue. 

If this scenario happens Foals headlining should be the least of our worries if they literally can’t find anyone to headline the festival. 

This whole discussion forum is one big presumption.

I don't think it's as extreme as you make out either - it seems unnecessarily harsh really. I don't know why it's so hard to fathom that there's an outside chance they could do it if a few variables fell into place. Worse bands have headlined and a few modern headliners have had smaller crowds that the Foals (on the Other Stage or the Park).

Foals have just never broken through enough popularity wise, and this is why they only headline the mid-sized festivals across the UK and are perfectly happy headlining Other. Only way to get there is to have a massive breakthrough album that gains them a much wider audience. Not sure anyone is necessarily doubting they couldn't possibly put on a Pyramid headliner worthy show, but then so could plenty of other acts who aren't big enough either.

Are Yeah Yeah Yeahs pretty much a banker for next year?

New album out in September, put on a great show at Primavera by all accounts and haven't played on the farm for a long time.

I'd personally like to see them rip it up on JP. I feel like they could be the 2023 noughties throwback headliner on JP similar to what we've had recently in Jamie T, The Streets and Phoenix

27 minutes ago, Green Croc said:

New album out in September, put on a great show at Primavera by all accounts and haven't played on the farm for a long time.

I'd personally like to see them rip it up on JP. I feel like they could be the 2023 noughties throwback headliner on JP similar to what we've had recently in Jamie T, The Streets and Phoenix

Yeah they’d work well as either a JP or Park headliner I’d say.

10 hours ago, Green Croc said:

Fuck, I would love to see YYYs again. Pin reminds me of my youth so much.

Takeaway, drinks, whack on Pin, out to the only rock/indie club in a 10 mile radius!

Fever To Lie was such a great album.

Edited by MEGATRONICMEATWAGON

13 hours ago, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

Fuck, I would love to see YYYs again. Pin reminds me of my youth so much.

Takeaway, drinks, whack on Pin, out to the only rock/indie club in a 10 mile radius!

Fever To Lie was such a great album.

Love that, Y Control has a similar impact for me and their gigs have somehow always evaded me so would love to see them.

Yep Fever To Lie is a great album, one of many class debut indie albums from the noughties  

12 minutes ago, Chip Batch said:

Arcade Fire - where do people reckon they'd be if they were to play - Other headliner? Not big enough to headline the Pyramid now? As great as it was last time...

They're a tricky one. Their stock seems to be pretty low... I still like them mind you, but Other headliner sounds about right. Sub for Elton? I think a lot of people would still rock up and see them.

At a stretch, JP headliner?!

1 hour ago, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

They're a tricky one. Their stock seems to be pretty low... I still like them mind you, but Other headliner sounds about right. Sub for Elton? I think a lot of people would still rock up and see them.

At a stretch, JP headliner?!

Yeah, probably Other headliner. Still one of the best live bands I’ve seen and the new album is decent. 

Fri
Py: Dua Lipa, The 1975, Paolo Nutini, Anderson .Paak + the Free Nationals, PJ Harvey, Father John Misty
OS: The National, Jorja Smith, The Black Keys, Wet Leg, Central Cee
WH: Jamie xx, Chaka Khan, Danny Brown
JP: Aitch, Sampha, Rina Sawayama
Pa: Manic Street Preachers, Bauhaus, Hiatus Kaiyote

Sat
Py: Arctic Monkeys, LCD Soundsystem, Lil Nas X, Paloma Faith, Holly Humberstone, Buddy Guy
OS: Cardi B, ROSALÍA, Lewis Capaldi, Belle + Sebastian, King Gizzard + the Lizard Wizard
WH: Erykah Badu, Pa Salieu, Salif Keita
JP: Yeah Yeah Yeahs, DMAs, Everything Everything
Pa: Michael Kiwanuka, Marcus Mumford, Noname

Sun
Py: Elton John, Lizzo, Aerosmith, Spice Girls, Becky Hill, Kamasi Washington
OS: The Prodigy, Gerry Cinnamon, Lily Allen, slowthai, Bloc Party
WH: Loyle Carner, Fred again.., SAULT
JP: Pixies, Alabama Shakes, Young Fathers
Pa: FKA twigs, Goldfrapp, Shame