Most Disappointing Set(s)

northernringo

1 hour ago, Gnomicide said:

Why did you watch them if you had zero expectations? Presumably you were getting a space for whoever was on next?

I had high expectations and I loved it. 

Elbow are one of those acts that the prospect of seeing doesn’t exactly thrill me, but once they get going I tend to enjoy (see also Manics etc). We couldn’t be arsed moving on Sunday so stayed for them and thought it a great set. 

20 hours ago, Gumboballsack said:

They were the worst act i saw all weekend. It wasn't just the bad sound. They looked and sounded bored to be there. Don't understand why the press totally lapped their set up as if it was legendary. I love the album as well so was extra disappointed.

Wet leg were one of worst for me saw them support a band at brixton last year and thought same then.  Music isn't interesting enough. 

I went to see them as mate really wanted to

Didn't help the field too rammed and park stage is crap unless a decent spot on the down slope bit. 

Also most of crowd there for 1 song and didnt care about the rest. 

Edited by brendan84

Have always been more curious about Sleaford Mods than a fan as such, but couldn't believe how half baked their set was. Andrew Fearns' role just seems to be to press play on a laptop and then dance like a drunk dad at a happy Mondays tribute night. Williamson gave it his all but given that a lot of their stuff would sound excellent with an actual live band, I don't get why they'd phone it in like that. Meant there was zero spontaneity or energy in the music, and the stage looked completely sterile. 

18 hours ago, FrancisH said:

Lot of people saying Bicep were incredible, weirdly I thought they seemed quite flat.

Maybe it was where I was stood but the crowd just seemed like a bunch of wronguns with no interest in the tunes talking to each other loudly. Had hoped for another special WH headliner like justice or hot chip so maybe I hyped it up too.

Wasn't too gutted because we caught a lot of PSB who smashed it.

My mate said it was flat not feeling it so came back for kendrick

..and he was on mandy.  Depends where you are near a speaker who you're with at time I guess

2 minutes ago, brendan84 said:

Wet leg were one of worst for me saw them support a band at brixton last year and thought same then.  Music isn't interesting enough. 

I went to see them as mate really wanted to

Didn't help the field too rammed and park stage is crap unless a decent spot on the down slope bit. 

Also most of crowd there for 1 song and didnt care about the rest. 

I had a decent position as I’d got there an hour early and was also underwhelmed. I think most of my experience was affected by the crowd being so bloody chatty. A guy in front of me was yelling ‘PLAY CHAISE LOUNGE’ from the SECOND SONG. How rude is that? 

As a very short person, I find myself affected by chat from people in the crowd more as the sound from the stage is muted by the people around me. So inane coked up chat seems to be all I can hear sometimes. I try and move around to find quiet folk but sometimes it’s not possible.

I know that seems a bit implausible but in my youth I used to be put on peoples shoulders and couldn’t believe how much better the sound is up there. 

9 minutes ago, amishsexpistol said:

Have always been more curious about Sleaford Mods than a fan as such, but couldn't believe how half baked their set was. Andrew Fearns' role just seems to be to press play on a laptop and then dance like a drunk dad at a happy Mondays tribute night. Williamson gave it his all but given that a lot of their stuff would sound excellent with an actual live band, I don't get why they'd phone it in like that. Meant there was zero spontaneity or energy in the music, and the stage looked completely sterile. 

That's always been their live set-up. 

Macca was dull as dishwater but expected that, I only saw him as an insurance policy against having a Beatles fad one day in the future when he's not touring. Bringing out Bruce only highlighted how much better a headliner he would have been.

Sound at West Holts always feels like a lottery and had to move to the back for Caribou. Saw them at APE and on tour and were incredible - this was just 'fine'.

Also found Wolf Alice weaker than they were on tour. Sound was extremely low by the sound desks/second speakers.

Edited by Porcelina

1 hour ago, LinvoyPrimus said:

Really don't care much for Glass Animals now they're TikTok darlings but I loved Metronomy. Thought that was one of the best sets I've seen from them - perfect summer-y Saturday afternoon set.

Yeah, loved Metronomy. Really good setlist too.

21 minutes ago, henry bear said:

Elbow are one of those acts that the prospect of seeing doesn’t exactly thrill me, but once they get going I tend to enjoy (see also Manics etc). We couldn’t be arsed moving on Sunday so stayed for them and thought it a great set. 

Their most popular time has been and gone a bit - they had a massive crowd in 2011, but they still make some good music. Giants of all Sizes was great. Would be better on a smaller stage now.

Macca was my only disappointment. Though obviously the Bruce but was incredible! I get it, he’s 80, he’s a Beatle, he’s a legend! But it would have been nice if he’d gone a bit more fab favourite heavy. 

On the whole though, no other disappointments, possibly my fav Glastonbury! DiRo was ropey, but the good vibes feel made it special. That being said I think I’ll skip the legends in the future. I just can’t bear the crowd demographic at the pyramid on Sunday afternoon…..

21 hours ago, gigpusher said:

The only disappointments for me were the sacrifices that you have to make to get a good spot for the busy sets. I caught way more of Noel Gallagher than I would have wanted to and I decided to sacrifice Kae Tempest to get a good spot for Wet Leg and Confidence Man. It meant we watched Orlando Weeks who was fine but not where I was wishing I was on site. It did mean we were in a great spot for Wet Leg and Confidence Man though! 

Agree with this, had to sacrifice a good position at Sam Fender because I couldn't miss Phoebe Bridgers

27 minutes ago, amishsexpistol said:

Agreed.  Actually was quite cringe.  I don't care if 'that's always been their set-up', it felt like weird half-baked karaoke.  If your lyrics are just going to be "I went to the chip shop YOU w*nkER", you might want to balance it out with some actual live musical talent.  

31 minutes ago, Chip Batch said:

That's always been their live set-up. 

Indeed, i thought they were great, especially the guest spot. 

Given the vitriol of the songs it's rather sweet when he asks how the crowd are 😊

https://www.nme.com/blogs/nme-blogs/sleaford-mods-glastonbury-2022-new-album-billy-nomates-mork-n-mindy-3255410

24 minutes ago, HyperTechnoHorse said:

Agreed.  Actually was quite cringe.  I don't care if 'that's always been their set-up', it felt like weird half-baked karaoke.  If your lyrics are just going to be "I went to the chip shop YOU w*nkER", you might want to balance it out with some actual live musical talent.  

I will never forgive them for massacring one of my favourite songs (Don’t Go) without even changing the lyrics (as far as I could tell)

1 hour ago, henry bear said:

Same here. I opted for them over Jack White because I was heading to Lonely Hearts Club for Gabriels after and couldn’t be arsed trekking. Really enjoyed Elbow, surprised me a bit. 

TLC, hands down the worst.  Hype man and the dancers doing all the heavy lifting, dragging out the 4/5 hits they had to try and fill 10 minutes with each one, fucking off for a 5 minute rest after 20 minutes, plus T-Baz was (I'm fairly sure - we were close, front left) actually singing and not miming but her voice was too low in the mix.  What made it worse was that we'd arrived early to get in and I ended up catching the last 2 Sleaford Mods "songs" which put me in a bad mood.  Fuck, they're awful.  In literally every respect.

Everyone saying Macca on this thread should have gone to Bootleg Beatles instead.  He's not a Beatle tribute as many seem to think.  He's a song writing genius who's career post Beatles is over 50 years.  Of course he's going to play some solo and Wings songs.  And you know what?  They're all brilliant.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, tazbang said:

Has anyone mentioned Jamie T?

Seemed half-cut to me, slurry even for Jamie T, kept getting his belly out for some reason, had zero production (just played in front of a green background), mentioned being unrehearsed multiple times and you could tell. Something was going on between him and his label, but it was all a bit mumbled so couldn't tell you what.

His crowd was huge and enthusiastic though, so it might just be me who was disappointed.

Haven't watched it back yet, he was indeed wasted but brilliant. Crowd ate it up and being at Glastonbury and pulling such a big crowd v McCartney clearly meant a lot.

Surprised at people's comments re Avalanches - thought they were ace and crowd really into it. I was sceptical myself with it being limited to the two of them mixing live but I thought it was popping. Though people had mixed views of 2017 too - both times I was down front and sound and atmosphere was great. 

23 hours ago, nikkic said:

I hate to say it but…… Little Simz.

I love SIMBI, was my AOTY last year, we just couldn’t get into it. 

Crowd were off, sound wasn’t ideal where we were and I think we just wanted to have a bit of a dance at that point.

Left after an hour and went to The Greenpeace Tree where some random DJ was blasting out some old school house tunes. 

Oh no, really!? I'm sorry that was your experience.

From where we were the goodwill for her in the crowd was palpable and we thought she put on a show that completely lived up to the slot. Glad you found fun elsewhere though, better than trying to force yourself to love it.

14 hours ago, Gre said:

On topic but separate, I thought Calvin Harris was terrible. Uninspired setlist, terrible sound quality (was stood at the top of the field, outside of the spider), he didn’t event say hello or goodbye, people left in droves…

The sound wasn't his fault - it affected anyone playing Arcadia. If you're outside the square of speakers (and many were for busy sets), you'd only hear bass. 

Personally, I don't expect club DJs to say 'hello' or 'goodbye'...