The Weather Thread 2023

tazbang

Just now, Sheffield Steve said:

These are the daily maximum temperatures for the festival indicated by these models so far, where available.  No sign of hot weather at the moment.   ECM, GFS, GEM, ICON.

Wednesday: 22,18,21,21

Thursday: 19,21,21,

Friday: 19,21,22,

Saturday: ,24,,

Sunday: ,21,,

Bit hot, but could be worse

1 hour ago, Sheffield Steve said:

it brings thundery rain up across England which has the potential to drop a lot of rain on the site. 

Oh Jesus.

The Beeb painting a similar picture.

https://www.bbc.com/weather/outlook

Unsettled weather should continue into the following week

further rounds of scattered showers and thunderstorms as shallow low pressure systems move in from the south and west

These could bring some more widespread rain at times

It’s warm enough to be in shorts and will probably need a hoody at night. It’s not going to be extreme enough to make any one ill. 

I’ve seen quite a lot of people needing medical attention this week after over doing the alcohol in the hot sun. 

We’re just not used to the constant heat and alcohol combination over here. 

The trend seems to suggest we're likely to get rain TUES/WEDS/THURS/FRI at the very least in some capacity.

It's a shame as the week either side of the festival won't have a drop.

Let's just hope we don't get anything sustain and vibe killing. 

1 minute ago, Jacko45 said:

The trend seems to suggest we're likely to get rain TUES/WEDS/THURS/FRI at the very least in some capacity

However the amount of rain forecast has reduced.

The current runs don't have enough rain to be concerning.  Despite what the NFR NFC people say, the site can cope with some rain and depending on the timing or intensity of it, can happen without an impact to the ground

14 minutes ago, Jacko45 said:

The trend seems to suggest we're likely to get rain TUES/WEDS/THURS/FRI at the very least in some capacity.

It's a shame as the week either side of the festival won't have a drop.

Let's just hope we don't get anything sustain and vibe killing. 

I don't think that's the case at all, personally. We are trending to drier.

25 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

It’s warm enough to be in shorts and will probably need a hoody at night. It’s not going to be extreme enough to make any one ill. 

I’ve seen quite a lot of people needing medical attention this week after over doing the alcohol in the hot sun. 

So dont drink....

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

26 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

Speak for yourself.  Drinking for hours in the sunshine is my superpower. 😉 

2 minutes ago, briddj said:

I don't think that's the case at all, personally. We are trending to drier.

PREACH!!!

13 hours ago, The Red Telephone said:

1997 was the worst year I’ve ever experienced.

Should never have to experience those conditions again due to drainage improvements.

2016 was gruelling, but nowhere near as challenging as 97. Sticky mud, rather than huge swathes of liquid mud.

All I want is plenty of grass to sit down on.

My first Glastonbury was 1997. While Radiohead was still my favourite ever gig, it took me 10 years to recover from the mud/cold and then I went again in 2007. I remember waking up on the Sunday and was just worn down from it raining again and we left before the last headliner. I chanced it again in 2010 (my favourite ever glasto) and haven't looked back since. This year will be fine - I'm battle hardened from those first two. I've realised that the gear I bring is the most important thing - waterproofs, thermals and decent shoes/wellies.

3 minutes ago, Jacko45 said:

Not according to Sheffield Steve 

The last run he posted was far better than the previous.  Granted there was rain on the monday and infrequent showers up to thursday, but pretty much dry after that.  Combined with temps of over 21c, there is nothing to worry about.  

2 hours ago, briddj said:

After such a spectacular 18Z, where do we go now?

GATES OPEN

Now there's a small amount of heavy rain on Sunday morning. After this, there is some lighter rain through Sunday, and on Tuesday, but it's insignificant and nothing like we had seen on previous runs. It will cause no issues.

Totally dry for gates open.

image.thumb.png.1c6f5ea622118c6b9b4d98d53c9fe8ea.png

Very small amount of rain on Wednesday afternoon. But it's a tiny amount. Highs of 20.

THURSDAY

Totally dry as the high builds in. Highs of 22.

image.thumb.png.779b0fb803a073afdbcae7af2dda6d4f.png

FRIDAY

Some light afternoon rain in this run, but nothing much at all - would be some showers. Highs of 20.

image.thumb.png.1d565dd110eb979104d6fcc84b63566c.png

SATURDAY

Totally dry, highs of 24.

image.thumb.png.32d911eaab502a9d4542521426c4818b.png

SUNDAY

Totally dry, highs of 20.

image.thumb.png.a383e864491922e7568904a44295133e.png

You'll notice that the high pressure isn't as dominant in this latest run, and that's why the higher temperatures are batted back. Latest run is on the right here, with no finger pushing up.

image.thumb.png.9906e7ac944e87f6f7e61d30c3a1f4a6.png

SUMMARY

Some would argue this run is even better than the last one, as we don't hit the 29 degrees on the Sunday.

But there is still a question of what happens with the finger next weekend, we don't want to lose the power of the finger, and low pressure make a shock victory.

The reduction of the rain for Monday and Tuesday from a catastrophe to light rain, which would do nothing to the ground in temps of 21 before gates open, is a huge upgrade as we get closer to reliability.

Just need to lose that Friday rain!

This is actually as close to perfect as I could ask. T shirt weather, easy walking around a nice warm Saturday. Cooler on Sunday.

S T I C K