The Weather Thread 2023

tazbang

17 minutes ago, Bike_Like_A_Mum said:

Nightmares!!

I've just always wanted to know...what did these people do next? Did they go home or did they pitch up somewhere else and let everything dry out? Or did the Eavii offer up accommodation in the cow shed? Anyone know?

We were camped in there. Water started rushing into our tent around 7am, so we dragged what clothes, bags, etc we could back to the car. By the time we returned, the water was waist high and the portaloos had overflowed into the lake. We had to abandon our tent and last few things. 

Myself, gf and bro ended up leaving later that day as my partner had also developed mumps overnight. But of a nightmare really.

Heard later on that the festival provided those effected with vouchers for the on-site Millets. 

ECMWF shows dry till Wed eve then a shower/light rain then dry into Fri midday (when the run ends). Massive improvement on the GFS for Mon and Tue too. Sun bit iffy tho.

https://charts.ecmwf.int/products/esuite_0078_medium-mslp-rain?base_time=202306131200&interval=6&projection=opencharts_europe&valid_time=202306231200

Edited by PolygonWindow

1 hour ago, duggyfresh32 said:

Saying that, I went with two people who were first timers - I thought it would put them off. They couldn't wait to go back in 2008. 2007 was a pain in the arse but I still have fond memories of it, as I do of every year. Even 1997. Radiohead for a start were PHENOMINAL.

I did that in 2007, basically an "and if I liked it that much when it was in that state?" Steward shifts up until Saturday evening stood in pissing rain, got a day off Sunday but promptly came down ill and could barely move, but couldn't wait to go back and tbh this week I'm like a kid in the run up to Christmas

11 minutes ago, broken monkey said:

We were camped in there. Water started rushing into our tent around 7am, so we dragged what clothes, bags, etc we could back to the car. By the time we returned, the water was waist high and the portaloos had overflowed into the lake. We had to abandon our tent and last few things. 

Myself, gf and bro ended up leaving later that day as my partner had also developed mumps overnight. But of a nightmare really.

Heard later on that the festival provided those effected with vouchers for the on-site Millets. 

Oh man, mumps on top as well.

21 minutes ago, Duggyfresh44 said:

I was just up the hill from that. Walked to the bottom of Pennards and saw the devastation. Crowds of people looking on in disbelief. It was the most freakish weather I’ve ever seen in my life in the uk. 

I was in a van in T&C crew camping. I slept through the storm, completely unaware. Woke up needing a wee, opened the door to see The Green Room in the middle of a small lake. A mate turns up in an all areas site landrover and says "come on Skip, lets take a look round".

My abiding memory is of a lorry parked outside Joe Bananas, trying to offload wellies, it was like footage you see of aid lorries, with people fighting over the next pair.

Been in the pub, so a summary 18Z.

TO GATES OPEN: Still some heavy rain on Monday morning, but now CLEAR on Tuesday morning. Barely any rain after Monday morning to gates open.

WEDNESDAY: Tiny amount of rain, highs of 22.

THURSDAY: Completely dry! Compared to the all-day rain on the 12Z. Highs of 22.

FRIDAY: Completely dry, high building in! Highs of 20.

SATURDAY: Completely dry, ooh a finger! Highs of 25.

SUNDAY: Completely dry, we're high! Highs of 29.

image.thumb.png.ac7cd9844c24e86f53379eeb9ae23e87.png

SUMMARY: WHAT A RUN! Though some will fear those weekend temps.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3
  • Upvote 11

4 hours ago, briddj said:

TO GATES OPEN: Still some heavy rain on Monday morning, but now CLEAR on Tuesday morning. Barely any rain after Monday morning to gates open.

Urgh.

5 hours ago, briddj said:

This was beautiful to wake up to 🌞 

Looking quite nice this morning. Dry across the opening days wed/Thur/Fri, light winds, 20c.

A couple of bumps before the festival are showing up. Sunday 18th could make things a bit damp.

1727072277_Screenshot_20230614-0648402.thumb.png.ad1e63ca0031d398b37149f482111982.png

and then again on Tuesday 20th, but I only have icon13's word for it.

265000466_Screenshot_20230614-0648592.thumb.png.5e1e23fc88a1b3c08b1c79d1d6c5869c.png

I don't even look at the weather this much when I'm out sailing.

7 hours ago, briddj said:

I can’t believe how important this is to me and my general sense of wellbeing. I’m clinging to the optimism of this forecast!