The Weather Thread 2023

tazbang

15 minutes ago, Neverneverland said:

Very true, but nobody wants ket in the eye either.

Exactly. 

If dust in the eye gave me the same high as snorting ketamine, then great.

But a light drizzle to keep the dust at bay from swirling around will do nicely. 

Not a shellacking or downpour; just enough to keep the dust down.

Lovely stuff. 

8 minutes ago, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

Exactly. 

If dust in the eye gave me the same high as snorting ketamine, then great.

But a light drizzle to keep the dust at bay from swirling around will do nicely. 

Not a shellacking or downpour; just enough to keep the dust down.

Lovely stuff. 

to invite drizzle is to invite a downpour.

NFCNFRNFC

• Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

It really does seem like this isn't a knife edge year - somewhere in the middle seems to be most likely option by far, unlike most years where there seems to be a choice between mudbath and el scorchio. Neither are being predicted at the moment.

It feels a lot like 2011 with the pre-festival rain forecast and scattered showers during - very similar kind of forecast from memory

Still bags of uncertainty at the moment around the specifics of what will happen. Latest Meteograms are showing a higher chance of rain Monday/Tuesday, with classic sunshine and showers Wed-Sat and Sunday likely to be dry. Temperatures are looking to be low to mid 20s throughout.

Whilst 50% or so of the model runs are showing some light rain, with the odd outlier for something heavier, quite a few are showing none at all. It really is all to play for at the moment; the next few days may start to trend toward a drier regime (as has happened frequently the last few weeks) or stick with sunshine & showers.

image.thumb.png.b56e1600d4ffcbe5cefbdf4449b1f460.png

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Drinky said:

2011 was a lot of relentless drizzle at times, especially that Friday night for U2 - statistically very little rain but a constant misty fug across site that made it feel cold and miserable - so if that's where this is going... then fine?

2011 was f**king miserable.

12 hours ago, briddj said:

For the first time this year, it's time to debunk the Countryfile forecast. 

It's available on the BBC website as weather for the week ahead on Sunday morning, by the time it's shown on Countryfile it's 10 hours out of date, and it doesn't cover the festival weekend itself.

Oh, I'm not fussed at the content of the forecast. But when the forecast is THIS WEEKEND it means Glastonbury is just ONE WEEK AWAY!

The latest Ensemble suite from the Canadian GEM pretty much sums up where we are.  Temperatures in the low-20s throughout.  The operational run (the one the forecasters use) has some rain on set up day and then a dry festival from then on.   But the big spikes around the 24th show the risk of thunderstorms from the south (which the GFS also favours) is still there…..

IMG_4105.thumb.jpeg.ab654316ecccaa8d81694dd777e80b46.jpeg

Edited by Sheffield Steve

25 minutes ago, Drinky said:

2011 was a lot of relentless drizzle at times, especially that Friday night for U2 - statistically very little rain but a constant misty fug across site that made it feel cold and miserable - so if that's where this is going... then fine?

11 was miserable weather wise, then to make things worse they had U2 playing. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, Drinky said:

4 minutes ago, ICGenie said:

2011 was f**king miserable.

Whaaaat. 2011 was decent weather-wise. Saw all three headliners with a hoodie on. Sunday was baking if I remember. The Eels were great in a bit of sun.

Friday Special Guests was a slog tho. Raining with 20k people in the Park. Saw a fair few arguments kick off that afternoon. 

3 minutes ago, Harry3 said:

Still doesnt seem like we're going to get either a heatwave or a mudbath and the temperatures wont be above 25c

Sounds perfect to me.

Does seem to be going towards a more FRESH feel, some overnight rain wouldn't anyone or anything any harm. 

29 minutes ago, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

Whaaaat. 2011 was decent weather-wise. Saw all three headliners with a hoodie on. Sunday was baking if I remember. The Eels were great in a bit of sun.

The wettest I've ever been at Glastonbury is watching U2 on the Friday in 2011, the rain was absolutely torrential.

Saturday into Sunday was great though, the Sun came out during Elbow and then for Coldplay it was glorious. By Sunday I was walking round in trainers for the first time that weekend.

• Like 1