The Weather Thread 2023

tazbang

16 hours ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

I recollect it was rather good, as was the most recent fallow year back in 18. 

It rained during the live 'from the farm' BBC broadcast on the Friday in 2020....Michael Eavis was in the middle of being interviewed by Lauren Laverene and they made a joke about it.

1 minute ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

Agreed...

Same as 2016 when it rained.

Same debate every year. Warm weather doesn't trash the site. Warm weather doesnt disrupt performances.  Warm weather doesn't create a knife edge decision about cancelling the whole festival, which is what actually happened in 2016.

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Or lots of people coped fine in 2019. I remember it well. In fact there's TV footage of 10s of 1000s of people having a whale of time in front of El Pointo every day.

Agreed, 2019 was glorious. Lather up with sun cream, pop your hat on and drink plenty of water. Use a brolley for some shade if desperate. 

14 minutes ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

So to summarise,

we don’t want it very hot but want it pleasantly warm

we don’t want it very windy but want a cooling light breeze that has the flags gently fluttering

we don’t want rain but maybe a few very light showers that keep the dust down

No! 

No rain! To invite a few light showers is like letting a vampire into your house. Sure they might seem all nice and polite when you first see them but soon they're tearing your flesh and devouring your blood

Edited by sprocketrocket
To edit the word spelling which I spelled wrong
  • Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

So to summarise,

we don’t want it very hot but want it pleasantly warm

we don’t want it very windy but want a cooling light breeze that has the flags gently fluttering

we don’t want rain but maybe a few very light showers that keep the dust down

And ideally enough rain in the build up so the ground is spongy for walking on and you don’t need to pack an SDS drill for putting tent pegs in. But not so much as to form a puddle of course.

Edited by t0paz

10 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Same debate every year. Warm weather doesn't trash the site. Warm weather doesnt disrupt performances.  Warm weather doesn't create a knife edge decision about cancelling the whole festival, which is what actually happened in 2016.

What's better for the land isnt up for debate. You said that people coped in the sun. I agreed & said people coped in the rain.

As I said above, if it's too hot & my festival is shit.. tough. It is what it is, but if it's too cold for some & people don't like it - tough.

Pay your money, take your chances.

The weather last Saturday was too hot for me. I stayed in all day.

28 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Or lots of people coped fine in 2019. I remember it well. In fact there's TV footage of 10s of 1000s of people having a whale of time in front of El Pointo every day.

Me too.  One of my favourite years.  Yes, Friday was 33 degC which was challenging, but a wide hat, loose clothes, suncream and plenty of water and you're golden.  Much rather that than slogging through thick claggy clay based mud.

41 minutes ago, kalifire said:

Pretty much. Anyone claiming 2019 was great - weather wise - can't remember it. Friday/Saturday were way too hot, to the point that anywhere with shade was hugely oversubscribed as thousands flocked to wherever shade could be found.

True

Fortunately I have access to proper shade and didn't bother going out until the early evening on any of the days.

6 minutes ago, 4AssedMonkey said:

Me too.  One of my favourite years.  Yes, Friday was 33 degC which was challenging, but a wide hat, loose clothes, suncream and plenty of water and you're golden.  Much rather that than slogging through thick claggy clay based mud.

I found 2016 less challenging than 2019, I missed so much I half wanted to see in 19 as I was so hot I couldn’t be bothered moving so watched shit on the other stage for hours. 16 was also hard because you couldn’t sit down but it’s still great whatever the weather (I’ve not actually done one where it rains all weekend which does sound a bit shit as 16 was relatively dry once it started)

my perfect would be 20 degrees jumper in the evening no rain but it’s the middle of summer so pretty unlikely

2019 I needed an umbrella as sunshade to sit in the pyramid field most of the day (longest I’ve ever spent in one place at Glastonbury I think) it was still great though, much prefer super hot to any rain whatsoever.. 

This forecast is looking promising … 

IMG_5892.jpeg

7 minutes ago, Barneym said:

I found 2016 less challenging than 2019, I missed so much I half wanted to see in 19 as I was so hot I couldn’t be bothered moving so watched shit on the other stage for hours. 16 was also hard because you couldn’t sit down but it’s still great whatever the weather (I’ve not actually done one where it rains all weekend which does sound a bit shit as 16 was relatively dry once it started)

my perfect would be 20 degrees jumper in the evening no rain but it’s the middle of summer so pretty unlikely

I remember sitting at the back of the Other stage moving with the shade from the flags for a while on the Saturday. 

5 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

True

Fortunately I have access to proper shade and didn't bother going out until the early evening on any of the days.

It's not true.  On Friday 2019 I saw Bjorn Again, Acid Mothers Temple, Sheryl Crowe, BCUC, Lauryn Hill in the sun and remember it fine. I could even describe Lauryn Hill's bad hat for you if you'd like.

Saturday was Proclainers, Carrie Underwood, Maggie Rogers, Snapped Ankles, Slowthai, Lizzo, etc.

Just now, CaledonianGonzo said:

It's not true.  On Friday 2019 I saw Bjorn Again, Acid Mothers Temple, Sheryl Crowe, BCUC, Lauryn Hill in the sun and remember it fine. I could even describe Lauryn Hill's bad hat for you if you'd like.

Saturday was Proclainers, Carrie Underwood, Maggie Rogers, Snapped Ankles, Slowthai, Lizzo, etc.

Ah that's just reminded me. I did venture out for Lauryn Hill. She was disappointing.

4 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

Ah that's just reminded me. I did venture out for Lauryn Hill. She was disappointing.

Wasn't she just.  15 minutes late then spent the first 4 songs shouting at the sound man in the wings.  Left after that.

Anyone else being made to feel very uneasy by the run of good weather we’re having at the moment? Think we’re approaching 2 weeks without any rain of note in Bristol and the medium term forecast (the only forecast with any degree of accuracy) has nothing coming for the foreseeable. Makes me worry because it’s bound to rain at some point between now and the festival, right?! 

Needs to be sooner rather than later!