The Weather Thread 2023

tazbang

The latest 6-week forecast is out from ECMWF, which takes us up to June 12th.   This is the weekly temperature anomaly for the next 6 weeks:

Untitled.thumb.gif.f52d32641e17ba87c0f9373612083cca.gif

…and, more importantly perhaps, here are the precipitation anomaly charts up until June 12th (green is more rain, orange is less):

Precip.thumb.gif.b5768ba10aa5cf37091590ab8eea7c50.gif

In summary then, no great extremes, but warmer than usual with rainfall about average. Which means some rain but plenty of warmth to dry the site out more quickly than usual.

Edited by Sheffield Steve
  • Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Sheffield Steve said:

…and, more importantly perhaps, here are the precipitation anomaly charts up until June 12th (green is more rain, orange is less):

I'm happy with that. Nothing extreme and coupled with (slightly) above average temps should have the ground nice and dry during the build up.

Another two weeks until it starts covering the festival and the weather rollercoaster can truly begin!

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, sprocketrocket said:

El Nino

Close your eyes before you read the very last paragraph. 

#NFCNFRNFC

I like the theory it will be like the last big El Niño year (2016) on this basis at least…

image.png

1 minute ago, Breeze said:

I like the theory it will be like the last big El Niño year (2016) on this basis at least…

image.png

2016 was wet...

(from wikipedia)

Weather[edit]

The weather was very wet on Wednesday 22 June with major traffic delays getting to the festival. Organisers said that rain and ground conditions had caused delays and urged people "not to set off".[3]

Festival founder and Worthy Farm owner Michael Eavis later commented "I’ve never seen mud like it in the whole life. This is worse than 1997...In all 46 years, it hasn’t been as bad as this".[4]

Just now, sprocketrocket said:

2016 was wet...

(from wikipedia)

Weather[edit]

The weather was very wet on Wednesday 22 June with major traffic delays getting to the festival. Organisers said that rain and ground conditions had caused delays and urged people "not to set off".[3]

Festival founder and Worthy Farm owner Michael Eavis later commented "I’ve never seen mud like it in the whole life. This is worse than 1997...In all 46 years, it hasn’t been as bad as this".[4]

Weird as rainfall was down overall - I guess it just came out of the sky in a small window of time. It can just fuck off until June 27th. NFR NFC!

11 minutes ago, Breeze said:

Weird as rainfall was down overall - I guess it just came out of the sky in a small window of time. It can just fuck off until June 27th. NFR NFC!

Aside from the Wednesday, there was little rain aside from a few showers thurs-sat.  Unfortunately the damage was already done by that point as there had been a deluge of rain in the weeks leading up to the festival which had completely saturated the ground.

Hopefully we won't have a repeat of 2016.  The next two weeks look relatively dry but it's the 4 weeks after that are the most important!

Was it really that wet in 2016, during the event ? I remember it being bad in the build up, but I remember it being dry for New Order and Underworld.

From my memory it was nowhere near as bad as 1985, and from pics I've seen 1997/8.

9 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

Was it really that wet in 2016, during the event ? I remember it being bad in the build up, but I remember it being dry for New Order and Underworld.

From my memory it was nowhere near as bad as 1985, and from pics I've seen 1997/8.

It rained overnight a few times from memory as I woke up to about an inch of water sat above the ground not draining away as the ground was saturated. We were camped in South Park too that year so quite high up compared to a lot of places.

Friends of mine didn't waterproof their tent before arriving so woke up sleeping in puddles on at least Saturday and Sunday mornings. 

The only rain I recollect during the day was a bit on Friday morning while waiting for James to open the Other stage, though it probably rained on the Sunday too, I've blurred most of that from my memory

4 minutes ago, andymk said:

It rained overnight a few times from memory as I woke up to about an inch of water sat above the ground not draining away as the ground was saturated. We were camped in South Park too that year so quite high up compared to a lot of places.

Friends of mine didn't waterproof their tent before arriving so woke up sleeping in puddles on at least Saturday and Sunday mornings. 

The only rain I recollect during the day was a bit on Friday morning while waiting for James to open the Other stage, though it probably rained on the Sunday too, I've blurred most of that from my memory

From what I can remember there were scattered showers/drizzle a couple of times and a heavier downpour on friday or Saturday night/morning. It was dry from Saturday onwards I think.

Nothing too heavy but the damage was already done by that point.

On monday the ground turned into a brown bouncy castle that made the walk to the car a lot of fun

33 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

It wasn’t that bad, it was mainly beforehand which led to all the mud. I’m sure I got accidentally sunburnt on the Saturday. The worst of it was Sunday afternoon/early evening 

1 hour ago, Skip997 said:

As many have said, the lead up was worse than the actual weather. One of days I remember it being just a constant mist/spit for hours which wouldnt have been terrible if the ground wasn't already so waterlogged.  

I remember 2016 as others. Really muddy but the actual weather for the festival being okay with some sun and some drizzle. Just looked back at all the glastos I've been to and I've never had more than a run of 3 festivals which have had good weather.  The last 3 have been good weather so I can't believe it will be nice again this year (past performance is not a guide to the future).

8 minutes ago, glimmers_of_hope said:

I remember 2016 as others. Really muddy but the actual weather for the festival being okay with some sun and some drizzle. Just looked back at all the glastos I've been to and I've never had more than a run of 3 festivals which have had good weather.  The last 3 have been good weather so I can't believe it will be nice again this year (past performance is not a guide to the future).

It will … I’ve just brought some new shorts and suncream 

2 minutes ago, Bike_Like_A_Mum said:

It's definitely going to be nice weather, it's the law of attraction. I've never done a wet festival anywhere ever. I attract sunshine so we're fine folks 😊🌞 

Ask believe receive 🌞