The Weather Thread 2023

tazbang

7 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

Does show the impact of vast amounts of tarmac on heat … or is it just that they have these official monitoring stations at airports or a bit of both … 40 degrees is gonna go for sure … think we might get some welcome relief with thunderstorms later … although we are on the edge of where they dissapear on the way up from Cornwall 

I'm off to Truck Festival on Thursday morning.....thank god its due to cool off a bit before then (to a freezing 28!!) because this would not be fun out in the open trying to watch bands!

9 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

Does show the impact of vast amounts of tarmac on heat … or is it just that they have these official monitoring stations at airports or a bit of both … 40 degrees is gonna go for sure … think we might get some welcome relief with thunderstorms later … although we are on the edge of where they dissapear on the way up from Cornwall 

'Benson' is RAF Benson not far from me going towards Reading....

21 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

A lot of stations are 2 hours behind reporting too… Our station is still showing the 9am observation as the latest. 

19 minutes ago, gooner1990 said:

I'm off to Truck Festival on Thursday morning.....thank god its due to cool off a bit before then (to a freezing 28!!) because this would not be fun out in the open trying to watch bands!

I guess the bonus is that you will have some kind of acclimatisation so that will potentially seem like it’s quite cool . You also done hotter Glastonbury’s I’m sure 

4 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

I'm going to Greece next week. I'm looking forward to an air conditioned bedroom more than my ice cold pint of Mythos, what's the matter with me?!

Oh how I miss ice cold pints of Mythos. Been 10 years since I was last in Greece having went pretty much every year since I was a child until I was in my late 20s. 

2 minutes ago, Dave_c said:

Oh how I miss ice cold pints of Mythos. Been 10 years since I was last in Greece having went pretty much every year since I was a child until I was in my late 20s. 

It's a weird one, I'm not a lager drinker in the UK but can't get enough of it abroad from one of those glasses that's been in the freezer.

3 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

I guess the bonus is that you will have some kind of acclimatisation so that will potentially seem like it’s quite cool . You also done hotter Glastonbury’s I’m sure 

I don't think I've done any Glastonburys in 36 degrees heat....2010 was high 20s and 2019 was 32 I think...I can recall nearly collapsing after Sheryl Crow on the Friday and Saturday I didn't even try to bother watching anything until it had cooled down a bit!

1 minute ago, gooner1990 said:

I don't think I've done any Glastonburys in 36 degrees heat....2010 was high 20s and 2019 was 32 I think...I can recall nearly collapsing after Sheryl Crow on the Friday and Saturday I didn't even try to bother watching anything until it had cooled down a bit!

i meant warmer than 28 .... which 2019 definately was 🙂  so truck should be cooler than than and will feel cooler based on how things have been this week ..... if you were Melvin Benn you could call the last few days a test event for the real thing 

12 hours ago, steviewevie said:

Fans are great. That is all. Good night.

I thought I had a fan. But its been in the conservatory at my dad's for a few years, I took the cover off to dust off the blades (a tip for anyone who doesn't bother - it really helps to stop you ending up with a dodgy throat especially if you use it often!), barely pressed the duster to one and it snapped off as if it was pasta or something. Then the same with the second blade. So yes, don't leave your fan in a conservatory that retains heat for years or you'll be without one when you need one!

Edited by efcfanwirral

2 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

i meant warmer than 28 .... which 2019 definately was 🙂  so truck should be cooler than than and will feel cooler based on how things have been this week ..... if you were Melvin Benn you could call the last few days a test event for the real thing 

ok got you now yes. 🙂

we also have 3.2mm of rain forecast for Friday at the festival...you couldn't make it up 🙄

24 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

It's a weird one, I'm not a lager drinker in the UK but can't get enough of it abroad from one of those glasses that's been in the freezer.

Same, something about those frosted glasses and Mythos that goes down a treat 

33 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

I'm going to Greece next week. I'm looking forward to an air conditioned bedroom more than my ice cold pint of Mythos, what's the matter with me?!

Mythos is a top tier lager.

Combine with a Greek salad and a Gyros for ultimate satisfaction. 

Found my limit, have been sat in an empty beer garden all morning, topping up the tan, occasionally sitting under the lawn sprinkler… Was doing ok until now… Had to come in at 47c in the sun, 36c in the shade. 

Has anybody else taken any readings in the sun? Could very well hit 50 in the sun in places today… Hottest ‘in the sun’ temp I’ve ever seen before today was 45c on one of the big pharmacy thermometers in Tenerife. So this is now officially the hottest I’ve ever experienced.

Also, think the East Midlands record just went, Watnall, my closest, is still behind with their reporting. 

Edited by Alvoram