Van Camping Top Tips

Twiggy553

1 hour ago, Brad2434 said:

Those who have stayed in East Quiet before, how long typically does it take to get to say West Holts? 

A lot depends on the time of day and how far back you are. But typically 15 mins I would say, if there are no queues at Gate C and then through the T&C fields. 

I got a lot of cleaning and packing packing done today.

Even though i’m clearly bringing way too much stuff i’ve so far managed to have everything stowed away in cupboards (usually on holidays the van floor also has bags and boxes piled up too, ready to be offloaded into a storage tent)

Attending as campervaners for the first time, so after years of lugging the tent and a lorry load of beers into the site in the early hours of Wednesday morning we are really excited to be able to relax on the Tuesday night with the knowledge of a good nights sleep before the festival.

We are setting off to Cornwall today for 9 nights before we head back up the road onto Glastonbury so packing is even more critical. The awning is, therefore, essential for us to give us that extra storage space. I’m assuming we just need to notify the stewards on arrival that we need the extra ‘awning’ space as we park? 

We are in the Bath and West Showground campervan field, so any tips for arriving onto that site also gratefully received. 

2 hours ago, wickmiller said:

Attending as campervaners for the first time, so after years of lugging the tent and a lorry load of beers into the site in the early hours of Wednesday morning we are really excited to be able to relax on the Tuesday night with the knowledge of a good nights sleep before the festival.

We are setting off to Cornwall today for 9 nights before we head back up the road onto Glastonbury so packing is even more critical. The awning is, therefore, essential for us to give us that extra storage space. I’m assuming we just need to notify the stewards on arrival that we need the extra ‘awning’ space as we park? 

We are in the Bath and West Showground campervan field, so any tips for arriving onto that site also gratefully received. 

I have only parked in CV East but just let stewards know you have an awning as you come up to park, they will be very used to it..

B&W is recognised as having good showers and toilets and unlike CV East you should be on flat well tended ground but i note that you are away directly before arriving on site.. I dont believe they offer electric hookup so make sure that you have charged leisure battery and full gas if needed for the duration.

• Thanks 1

On 6/8/2022 at 3:10 PM, chappers8 said:

I'm going alone in a Mazda Bongo and can't decide whether to bother taking the awning with me to put up. First world problems!!!

Defo worth putting up the awning!! Its quite a few nights and and if there is any mud you can kick boots off in the awning before getting in the van!

I've got an awning and a Gazebo just for two of us! 🤣 although my caravan and awning are very much on the smaller size so we'll still fit in the space I'm sure 😊 planning on making myself right at home!

I'm going alone in a Mazda Bongo and can't decide whether to bother taking the awning with me to put up. First world problems!!!

Depends how many of you there are I think and what you do back at base.  I stayed in rented caravans for a decade, where you could have an awning but it was extra.  

Never bothered with it myself and never missed it.  If I was up and about most of the time we were in the festival.  If we wanted a sit back at the van then if it was grey or wet then we were inside, if it was sunny we were outside.

As for what @Bike_Like_A_Mum mentions about boots, in my case when I took them off I put them under the caravan.

Ive decided not to take mine as the only real time I'd use it is on the tuesday night, the rest of the time I'll be in the festival. Ive not waited 3 years to sit around my campervan in the morings like its a holiday haha, wake up , shower , and straight back into the festival where I can chill out before everything starts up again. Boots, wellies (not gonna need them hopefully) will stay dry under the van. Also think about the packing up, I always take too much stuff so this year Iam really keeping it simple because on the sunday night I hate thinking about all the shit I have to pack away on the monday.

6 minutes ago, mufcok said:

Anyone know what the queue is usually like at Gate C late morning on Wednesday? 

I've only ever gone in through A

only done gate C twice but both times around mid-day was about 30 mins

21 minutes ago, mufcok said:

Anyone know what the queue is usually like at Gate C late morning on Wednesday? 

I've only ever gone in through A

I have always camped in CV East..

They have tended to let people from the car parks come through the CV fields and start queueing on the Hill of Death (Slope of Mild Inconvenience) about 07:00-07:30 and there are always a few (50-100?) who have already been in the CV fields since Tuesday and have waited at the bottom of the hill to get in first (assume they came in with someone staying in CVE or they are putting up tents for buddies)..

The queue stays pretty long for most of the morning and then eases around lunchtime.. 

5 hours ago, Curlygirl said:

This is just beautiful! Best Glasto map I have ever seen. I've been staring at it for a good 25 minutes, and totally missed a crucial part of my work! x

I hope you are not an Intensive Care Doctor or Nurse!!

I have it as my desktop wallpaper year round. It is indeed a thing of beauty, and a great distraction 🙂

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Curlygirl said:

This is just beautiful! Best Glasto map I have ever seen. I've been staring at it for a good 25 minutes, and totally missed a crucial part of my work! x

yeah its briliant, ive spent far too much time staring at this map haha

17 hours ago, clarkete said:

Depends how many of you there are I think and what you do back at base.  I stayed in rented caravans for a decade, where you could have an awning but it was extra.  

Never bothered with it myself and never missed it.  If I was up and about most of the time we were in the festival.  If we wanted a sit back at the van then if it was grey or wet then we were inside, if it was sunny we were outside.

As for what @Bike_Like_A_Mum mentions about boots, in my case when I took them off I put them under the caravan.

Sound advice. As its just myself I think i'm not going to bother. Throw my boots under the van.

2 minutes ago, chappers8 said:

Sound advice. As its just myself I think i'm not going to bother. Throw my boots under the van.

Ive got a small van (Kangoo) and usually use an awning. The extra space is great obviously but I couldn't use it at Bearded Theory and I have to say, just being able to drive away on the Monday (after making the van safe) without having to pack everything away was great. 

• Like 1