Van Camping Top Tips

Twiggy553

Made a potentially critical van mistake yesterday - jumped off the bed and out of the back door onto stony ground, and landed on a large pointy stone sticking right into the ball of my foot. Quite sore today. Do not do this at Glastonbury! 

20 minutes ago, mufcok said:

Anyone know exactly where the Campervan East toilets are? (assuming they have their own set, first time in the Camper fields for me) Can't see anything on the map

Last time I was there it was just rows of port-a-loos ... Go in the morning after they've been emptied... Listen out for the wagon sucking out all the piss and shit 🤮🤣

Edited by gazzared

6 minutes ago, gazzared said:

Last time I was there it was just rows of port-a-loos ... Go in the morning after they've been emptied... Listen out for the wagon sucking out all the piss and shit 🤮🤣

Hahaha. Any idea where abouts in the field? (as in E20/E23 etc)

1 minute ago, mufcok said:

All in the East quiet sorry can't remember the exact area, if you go on glasto maps and zoom in you can make out the rows of porta loos. I'll try and find the website

32 minutes ago, mufcok said:

I've marked in red the obvious rows of toilets, thin they might scatter a few odd ones here and there aswell. Deffo remember a few on the top of the hill at gate C and and the bottom of the hill

IMG_20220605_194128.jpg

• Upvote 1

Just now, gazzared said:

I've marked in red the obvious rows of toilets, thin they might scatter a few odd ones here and there aswell. Deffo remember a few on the top of the hill at gate C and and the bottom of the hill

IMG_20220605_194128.jpg

Very helpful! Thank you

4 minutes ago, mufcok said:

Cool, pretty much one set per 'section' then? Not too bad

What website are you using for that map? Wouldn't mind a gander myself

I'll try and find the link again but this is what I downloaded 

High-Res-Map.jpg

Ok top tippers. Let’s talk coffee.

Currently in conversation with the wife who is turning her delicate little nose up at the thought of drinking instant. Any thoughts on a better way of her getting a fragrant and satisfactory caffeine hit from the van in the morning? 

I’m not fussed either way, but happy wife happy life n all that.

10 minutes ago, yehbutnobut said:

Currently in conversation with the wife who is turning her delicate little nose up at the thought of drinking instant. Any thoughts on a better way of her getting a fragrant and satisfactory caffeine hit from the van in the morning? 

Micro stove. Aero press. Done 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, yehbutnobut said:

image.thumb.png.5747eda850413ea27d70fedb11598a32.png

image.thumb.png.677f835b927d15250d714ae62b8bafd1.png

nice and easy 🙂

44 minutes ago, yehbutnobut said:

Bags

57 minutes ago, yehbutnobut said:

I use a metal V60 (but you can get a plastic one for a fiver) and get really fresh beans. I hand grind what I need in the morning and brew up into a metal coffee pot. 

It makes delicious coffee really easily and I feel proper jammy pouring out a cup. 

11 hours ago, yehbutnobut said:

We used to pre-grind beans and bring metal cafetière but cleaning them is a bit of a faff so I am intending to just bring coffee bags this year. Reduces some of the packing. 

One of my other top tips is keep one of your rucksacks/ bags whatever you packed stuff in your car and each day bring out all dirty clothes and put straight in the car. Keeps the van less cluttered and reduces packing on the last day. 

Also if the weather forecast is predominantly one way either dry or wet pack stuff for the opposite weather in a separate bag and just leave it in the car and only get it out if it becomes necessary. 

11 hours ago, yehbutnobut said:

Aeropress

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Aerobie-AeroPress-A80-Coffee-Maker/dp/B000GXZ2GS/ref=sr_1_5?adgrpid=53963397100&gclid=CjwKCAjwy_aUBhACEiwA2IHHQJYA9A32GcRwqddGU6lmIRJnN3-C56A_Nk_c-XjBpM8kgFGtwMno4BoCYX8QAvD_BwE&hvadid=259148605657&hvdev=c&hvlocphy=1007420&hvnetw=g&hvqmt=e&hvrand=2036978113245712846&hvtargid=kwd-296619634507&hydadcr=19363_1749093&keywords=aeropress&qid=1654503745&sr=8-5

Kudos for all the coffee suggestions 👍  Went for a percolator with matching hand grinder after Mrs YBNB went over the above options. Had no idea she was such a coffee snob.

Now after all that, we're guaranteed to be camped near a decent coffee stall.

9 hours ago, yehbutnobut said:

Kudos for all the coffee suggestions 👍  Went for a percolator with matching hand grinder after Mrs YBNB went over the above options. Had no idea she was such a coffee snob.

Now after all that, we're guaranteed to be camped near a decent coffee stall.

Great choices Mrs YBNB. Even if you are, the cost saving on a decent cup of coffee is enormous compared even to a beer. You can get about 70 cups of coffee out of a 500g bag. I reckon its gonna be £3 a cup on site minimum...

10 hours ago, marktea said:

+1 👍

Cheap, simple and makes fantastic coffee. Knock make a great little hand grinder that fits inside it too, so it’s incredibly compact. 

Agree.  Best thing I've ever purchased! Plastic (so no glass issue) and basically no cleaning required!