Glastonbury Veteran

shuttlep

Glastonbury Veteran   

199 members have voted

1. 1. How many Glastonbury's do you have to go to before you become a Veteran?

• 10+

14 hours ago, spg said:

I've been going a few years now, seen plenty of mud & sun, but I reckon my son is a real veteran, not as many years as me, but every year since he was born. Obviously without the rest/covid years, since 9 weeks old in 2000

Yep, those who have been every year since they were born are a special kind of veteran. 

I know quite a few 'kids' in that category, some in their mid 30s.

Edited by Sawdusty surfer
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, giantkatestacks said:

I too think its more about knowledge than years (which should mostly go in tandem but sometimes not).

For example I have gone to a fair few since 92/93 and can direct anyone anywhere on site with proper waymarking, timings, stalls to visit on the way etc. Hubby meanwhile, even though he's been to almost as many as me, doesn't know where anything is or what anything is called and if asked to get from his favourite spot (Leftfield) to say, I dunno, The Park would just looked pained and start off in any old direction. 

Outside the fence I am just like your husband. It's kind of impressive how bad my sense of direction is. People don't belive it until they see it in action. But for some weird reason I have very little problem finding my way around the festival.

Must be the ley lines or something. 

I'm guessing being a Veteran could involve not having to THINK about planning. You just KNOW deep inside that if you want to see band A at Williams Green, have a bite at Goan Fish Curry then see band B at the park, grab a Cider Bus cocktail and see band C at John Peel, you just know you will be able to have a shower at 16.38 and grab your hoodie at the tent at 20:47. And if it rains then your shower will be at 17.23 and that the hoodie run will involve grabbing an extra bottle of something high ABV.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, moogster said:

I'm guessing being a Veteran could involve not having to THINK about planning. You just KNOW deep inside that if you want to see band A at Williams Green, have a bite at Goan Fish Curry then see band B at the park, grab a Cider Bus cocktail and see band C at John Peel, you just know you will be able to have a shower at 16.38 and grab your hoodie at the tent at 20:47. And if it rains then your shower will be at 17.23 and that the hoodie run will involve grabbing an extra bottle of something high ABV.

even reading that gave me anxiety that I woudl be late.

1 hour ago, philipsteak said:

Outside the fence I am just like your husband. It's kind of impressive how bad my sense of direction is. People don't belive it until they see it in action. But for some weird reason I have very little problem finding my way around the festival.

Must be the ley lines or something. 

Inside the festival surely theres lots of visual indicators - e.g. i can see the ribbon tower up there so park is just off to the right, or theres pyramid - so JP is just off behind it

2 hours ago, Sawdusty surfer said:

Yep, those who have been every year since they were born are a special kind of veteran. 

I know quite a few 'kids' in that category, some in their mid 30s.

I was talking to a girl who fits this last night …. You might know her 😉

2 hours ago, moogster said:

That doesn't sound like any festival I know, needs less planning, more confusion and some fun 😊

• Like 1

On 4/5/2022 at 8:17 PM, alframsey said:

I love it, I’d never change a thing about going.

We all have that bug don’t we? Those days, spent in those fields, spent with thousands of other people with a shared soul that week, they change you and make you a better and stronger person. I truly believe that.

Me too, it applies to many on here, those days spent on the Farm and in other fields around the country always feature in my favourite days of the years. And that post festival bliss can last a long, long time. I've missed it so, so much.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, moogster said:

right, yes.  And in the same way, I'd say veteran doesn't need the map.  "Toad Hall? Ancient Futures? Right, see you there." 

5 minutes ago, Olshansky said:

right, yes.  And in the same way, I'd say veteran doesn't need the map.  "Toad Hall? Ancient Futures? Right, see you there." 

Damn, my lack of a sense of direction rules me out of being a veteran!

8 minutes ago, Simsy said:

Damn, my lack of a sense of direction rules me out of being a veteran!

3 minutes ago, Simsy said:

Does waking up in an unknown location with a headache and an empty box of wine make someone a veteran 🤣

7 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

Alcohol rules me out 😂

hahahaha!  I'm not saying you have to get from A to B swiftly or with ease 🤣

On 4/6/2022 at 11:26 AM, Beaver89 said:

This topic came up years ago and the consensus was one festival.

That said, I think while veteran status can be applied to one festival, you then get additional stripes / medals / points for all the conditions mentioned here and more.

• Medal of honour for surviving 2005/7/11/16 (the muddy years) 
  • Badge for getting through 2010 and other hot ones without sunburn
  • Stripe for each additional festival - no matter how you do them they are an achievement
  • Bonus points for each sunrise seen, each long drop navigated and growler eaten. 
  • Maybe a special award for being the one tapping in the reg details to buy tickets? its all part of it!
  • Point deductions for douchebaggery like not packing your tent up, contributing to the great wall of camping chairs etc.

I think there is also a knowledge and care aspect. Anyone on these forums defo has one up on most attendees. A friend of mine has one more fest under his belt so while he has the 2007 survival badge, he reckons I'm more of a veteran for being "a walking glastopedia".

But yea, one festival with merits and distinctions for the method imo.

Check, check, check, never had a Pauline Fowler..., check, does having a flag in at Madness in 09 count...

In 1985 nobody had seen a muddy festival, so most just had trainers or if they were lucky DMs, very few with wellies. None of the lightweight weatherproof gear either. Some didn't even have tents or other stuff. 

Folks improvised with carrier bags on their feet and bin liners over their leather jackets. 

https://www.ukrockfestivals.com/glastonbury-festival-1985.html

#4yorkshiremen

On 4/6/2022 at 1:28 PM, stuartbert two hats said:

I don't think there's much a farm can do to stop severe weather conditions like 2016 leading to a mudfest.  Sure, they can mitigate - a 2014 downpour would have been disastrous 10 or 20 years earlier, but the drainage made a huge difference.  But weeks of shitting it down during the site build, followed by occasional heavy showers during the actual festival?  Not a lot you can do about that.  Same for 2007 where it rains heavily all weekend. 

Correct. The pre-rain leading up to any countryside festival makes all the difference.