Eurovision 2022

NoBuses

45 minutes ago, FrankieX said:

The UK have released their entry: Sam Ryder - Space Man

It's not terrible, so he shouldn't get nil points if he can sing it live. Not a top contender though, I think.

Apparently he's popular on tiktok, but I don't know how big the crossover is in a Venn diagram of tiktok users and Eurovision voters.

1 hour ago, FrankieX said:

It's not terrible, so he shouldn't get nil points if he can sing it live. Not a top contender though, I think.

It's fine, you can already hear when they'll put the pyrotechnics in the staging. If he sings it adequately, has decent staging and at least half an attempt of a tour he should get points.

Problem is it's a competition and you have to get into someone's top 10 songs to actually get points. If other countries have entered something similar enough that gets into the final there's a high chance it won't be in anyone's top 10. 

Edited by Leyrulion

1 hour ago, FrankieX said:

My friend messaged me this morning and told me joyfully that "Shaun Ryder is doing our Eurovision entry!" . Can you imagine the disappointment I felt? 

14 minutes ago, The Placid Casual 2 said:

Don't the Eurovision winners have to host in the following year? I mean, I dream that next year Kyiv will be in a place to host a Eurovision song contest but it doesn't seem realistic!

Also, hosting a Eurovision final costs a lot of money. Hence the "A Song For Europe" episode of Father Ted, where Ireland didn't want to win again after 1992-4 and so entered an intentionally terrible song.

27 minutes ago, The Placid Casual 2 said:

Don't the Eurovision winners have to host in the following year? I mean, I dream that next year Kyiv will be in a place to host a Eurovision song contest but it doesn't seem realistic!

I think Australia said if they win they'd get another country to host it (rather than everyone traveling all the way to Aus). Presumably Ukraine would do the same if they win but they're not in a position to host.

8 hours ago, The Placid Casual 2 said:

The expectation is when the country they wins can't host then one of the big five countries they pay the most to the competition step in to help host. (France, Germany, UK, Italy, Spain).

Similarly Australia aren't allowed to host if they win as it's too far away.

• 4 weeks later...
1 minute ago, waltere said:

I am completely and utterly obsessed with the French entry

It is a banger, although part of what I like are the words which won't be shown as subtitles by default on the BBC coverage.

The Latvian entry has released the official music video for their song. Here's the uncensored version, although they managed to smuggle a sneaky one-fingered salute into the video posted on the official Eurovision page (seen here at 1:17).

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone here been watching America Song Contest? It's not as awful as we were expecting. It's very Americanized, and they proper botched the voting, but you can tell its got the right heart, and the right balance of absolute guff silly entries vs states that took it too seriously. And Kelly Clarkson seems fun, I bet she'd be a good tequila drinking buddy.

4 hours ago, Nuthugger said:

I despise Eurovision. Imo its barely even music. Its even unwatchable ironically

I quite like Eurovision, not because it’s good, it’s awful, but we throw a Eurovision party most years and spend the evening getting drunk and laughing at the silly Europeans who take it way too seriously. We will have a flat full of said silly Europeans this year, which will be fun.