2023 legend slot

ProperTea

22 minutes ago, GeezLouise said:

For me the issue is that not just that it’s an all male top line, it’s that gnr are taking that top spot away from a newer artist. Being all male doesn’t help matters either.

The headliners tend to be 1) heritage, 2) established, 3) up and comer. 

anyway, that’s why gnr are legends slot. 

Well GnR are male dominated but not all male. But I don't see why it's a problem. We need sustainable practices in the music industry to make sure female acts have equal opportunity. Just suddenly forcing the issue and stuffing whatever female act might be available in a headline slot for the sake of it is pointless. Female acts are killing it at the moment tbf, it's not all about the big headline acts.

Edited by Thunderstruck

24 minutes ago, Hugh Jass II said:

I get sick of saying this but the festival can only book who is available and willing to take the gig.

Taylor, Beyoncé, Madonna, Pink, etc are all for one reason or another unavailable.

People seem to think Emily can just pull a headline sized female act out of her backside at a minute’s notice.

Any reason why Lady Gaga wouldn't be in the mix?

38 minutes ago, Thunderstruck said:

Was a while back but didn't somebody say they had solid info the legend slot was an act that will not go down well with the usual legend slot crowd? GnR would fit that bill...

They just wouldn’t fit the bill of the legend slot, but I guess that’s a minor detail. 

(They were also talking about the Spice Girls) 

Edited by Jose Pose

10 minutes ago, Hugh Jass II said:

She’s also not a credible headliner for the biggest festival on earth at the moment.

Dunno, Kendrick did a 7 arena UK run and some of those dates sold like ass. Lizzo's doing 5 and a park and they cheapest tickets left are £75+ outside of the park in Belfast. I don't think it's honestly that far-fetched. 

I know, tickets aren't everything, Glasto tickets are already sold etc. but she's clearly very very popular here. 

8 minutes ago, JRhys29 said:

People seem to think Emily can just pull a headline sized female act out of her backside at a minute’s notice.

not a minute's notice, she's got a whole year to sort it.

4 minutes ago, BenG92 said:

It did almost exactly as well as The Car - but of course the boys have the bigger back catalogue (that they'll mostly avoid)

That’s somewhat of a myth though isn’t it, just looking at the last gig they played less than 30% of the songs are from their last two albums. 

A7A95AFC-5F92-4BE9-8976-CD5789BB8833.jpeg

Edited by Jose Pose

3 minutes ago, 4AssedMonkey said:

Personally, I think Lizzo's latest album is great and that she'd absolutely smash a Pointo headline slot.  Would much rather have her topping the bill than either AM or GnR.

Given the choice between Lizzo and GnR - or Lizzo only, I'll take the former.  Luckily, that's what we're getting.

7 minutes ago, Jose Pose said:

That’s somewhat of a myth though isn’t it, just looking at the last gig they played less than 30% of the songs are from their last two albums. 

Eh that's not too bad then. Still lean a little too heavily on AM for me when they could switch things up more than they do, feels like they've settled into the same setlist for a very long time and just plonked a few new tracks in here and there. Whatever, it sells by the stadium-full so what do I know. 

• Upvote 1

It’s gonna be the year of the out of date and out of tune sausages if our assumptions are correct. 

Im old and didn’t end up sticking around for any of the Pointy headliners last year so I’m not hugely arsed but there’s a distinct lack of appeal for the under 25s (or 35s?). I hope we’ve got it terribly wrong. It’s all well and good knowing there’ll be plenty elsewhere skewed to a younger age group but it’s not great to not have that represented in top line for the Pyramid. 

2 hours ago, FrancisH said:

Yeah, Individually they're all solid worthy bookings. But as a four it gets a big eyebrow raise from me if I am being honest. Can't escape the fact that the majority are old white guys plus some middle aged white guys..

Personally we all here know the festival wil have a great diversity of bookings across all stages and headline slots, but the press and other people focus first and foremost on the headliners. Emily is going to get some serious stick for it I bet.

I do think the big difference if it is all male headliners is they're not going to announce them one at a time. The others will get announced with the poster with a line of female acts in large print near the top next to them. (Even if they're not actually the subs or Other headliners).

8 minutes ago, TheFullShaboo said:

KC & The Sunshine Band? Just been announced for El Dorado which is two weeks after Glasto. 

Definitely have the bangers for a Sunday afternoon bop...

Headlined jazz world (yeah i still call it that) in 2011 against Beyonce and they were all sorts of ace. great way to finish any festival