ukraine appeal

Neil

Hassle you MP's to get your gov to take more refugees, we've taken in 2200 so far, the UK has taken in less than 100 as far as I know.

Ukrainian refugees arriving in Calais in the hope of coming to the UK will be told to travel more than 100km to apply for visas.

It is understood British government officials currently have no plans to set up a processing centre in the port city in northern France, instead intending to redirect those seeking sanctuary to a small "pop-up" visa application centre in Lille.

It comes as UK ministers told the Commons there was a need to avoid creating "choke points" in Calais to encourage a "smooth flow of people" as concerns were raised over Ukrainians being turned away.

Live: Zelensky says Ukraine 'will fight until the end' (rte.ie)

Edited by Madyaker

Well that was quite an interesting week. Took 1.6 tonnes of medical equipment including PPE, tourniquets, battlefield dressings etc to Uzhhorod, just over the Slovacian/Ukrainian border in my trusty(so far) 2003 Transit. We kipped in the cab as the back was completely full and funds didn't even nearly stretch to hotels. Could!'t believe how much the tolls were for a van! Diesel price increased on a daily basis. The best...well actually worst we had to buy was €2.60/l 🙄Feeling somewhat sleep deprived. We're now a couple of hours from Calais. Will have done about 3000 miles by the time we're back in Somerset. Looking forward to my bed 😀

Dusty

Edit, I'm going to be writing a trip report for the people who helped part finance the trip, I'll post it here when done.Dontm hold your breath though. Going to take a while. Some of it is hard to believe! J

Edited by Pinrut
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3
  • Upvote 8

19 hours ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

Just popped another £50 into the appeal. Will pop another £50 in when I have got it. I'd like to help more. And more, and more.

The Ukrainians are white.

I do not remember such an outcry when the refugees were Syrian or Iraqi or Libyan or Tibetan for that matter.  

Just sayin'

Putin is a c**t.

6 hours ago, bamber said:

The Ukrainians are white.

I do not remember such an outcry when the refugees were Syrian or Iraqi or Libyan or Tibetan for that matter.  

Just sayin'

Putin is a c**t.

Hello bamber,

I have given to charities on the ground in many different countries across the globe. We are all the human race. 

Putin is indeed a murderous c**t. However, he is not alone in that regard.

Yeah.

Putin, He is the uber-c**t murderer.

I'm not sure I understand what is going on in his head.

Why would anyone do this?

Evil?

I normally post a Youtube video to go with my contributions.

This is truly odd. Just die muther*ucker die.

Edited by bamber

On 3/11/2022 at 3:50 AM, Pinrut said:

Well that was quite an interesting week. Took 1.6 tonnes of medical equipment including PPE, tourniquets, battlefield dressings etc to Uzhhorod, just over the Slovacian/Ukrainian border in my trusty(so far) 2003 Transit. We kipped in the cab as the back was completely full and funds didn't even nearly stretch to hotels. Could!'t believe how much the tolls were for a van! Diesel price increased on a daily basis. The best...well actually worst we had to buy was €2.60/l 🙄Feeling somewhat sleep deprived. We're now a couple of hours from Calais. Will have done about 3000 miles by the time we're back in Somerset. Looking forward to my bed 😀

Dusty

Edit, I'm going to be writing a trip report for the people who helped part finance the trip, I'll post it here when done.Dontm hold your breath though. Going to take a while. Some of it is hard to believe! J

Did you get any skiing detours in on the way home Dusty? 😉

11 hours ago, Quark said:

Did you get any skiing detours in on the way home Dusty? 😉

On way there, went Belgium, Germany, Austria. On way home decided to go more south. Went from Slovakia to Hungary, long lunch in Budapest then finally through Croatia into Slovenia and a hotel in Ljubljana. A hotel and an actual bed. Still no escape from The Human Stereo, my co-driver who was blessed with squeaky flatulence and marathon snoring. 

Sorry, the skiing. Turns out that the Aosta Valley was on our direct route home. Turns out (it is a bloody coincidence, right?) a big posse I know had block booked a whole hotel to ski. Gressoney. Got a room and skiied the next day. Oh man, stuck in a Transit van cab for days, and then a day that feels like flying. Good to be alive 😁

Edited by Pinrut
  • Upvote 1

Just now, tarw said:

Just registered to offer shelter to Some refugees. If our government are heartless selfish money grabbing bastards we need to show them how to react. 

the money grabbing bastards here might be the people offering rooms, who might only be i n for the £350 pm.

7 minutes ago, Neil said:

the money grabbing bastards here might be the people offering rooms, who might only be i n for the £350 pm.

Yes. Suppose it depends on how you look at it. We will happily use that to provide food and necessities for anyone that stays with us some might not and keep the money. 

could say the same with people doing fostering, some do it for money some do it for more altruistic reasons. 

Most with a spare room could probably make more money on AirBnB than £350 pm though. 

3 minutes ago, tarw said:

Most with a spare room could probably make more money on AirBnB than £350 pm though. 

i bet for a lot of the people offering its a spare house, so the money wont really be a motivator.

I have some really good festival friends that are doing a trip to Poland with medical supplies. They are working in conjunction with an NGO and it would be cool if anyone could spare a Bob or two 

https://www.gofundme.com/f/help-the-ukraine-refugees-trip?viewupdates=1&rcid=r01-164742756253-904c25ef762b44b6&utm_medium=email&utm_source=customer&utm_campaign=p_email%2B1137-update-supporters-v5b

Off topic but I have heard rumours of soldiers going AWOL to fight in the Ukraine. It's happened before so I wouldn't be surprised. 

As of 2 to 3 days ago, we are down to provide housing for any Ukrainian refugees.  

As an aside, my wife (who enabled the above, before I consented) did indicate something similar today than that bamber mentioned ie. there's a lot of 'feeling' about this because these people are white / European. That that has to be acknowledged as true in parts for some, because it is that way, I'd say. If there s any benefit' to that though, I'd say it was to have lifted the scales off a few more people's eyes as to people viewing 'any' war torn etc refugee from an economic one - not that the later is necessarilty agreeable too. Is it a start of something 'bigger' I wonder?

• Upvote 1

On 3/18/2022 at 10:17 PM, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

.. lifted the scales off a few more people's eyes as to people viewing 'any' war torn etc refugee from an economic one - not that the later is necessarily agreeable too. Is it a start of something 'bigger' I wonder?

Well put and full respect my friend.

Ukraine gave up their nuclear weapons 20 odd years ago in exchange for some vague neutrality. This challenges the argument that I have held all my life regarding unilateralism. I still believe, but it is naive to think this is not a setback to the whole argument. Russia launched its hypersonic weapon today. These can carry nuclear warheads.

So many innocent dead already.

Please stop Mr Putin.

• Upvote 2

On 3/20/2022 at 2:21 AM, bamber said:

Well put and full respect my friend.

Ukraine gave up their nuclear weapons 20 odd years ago in exchange for some vague neutrality. This challenges the argument that I have held all my life regarding unilateralism. I still believe, but it is naive to think this is not a setback to the whole argument. Russia launched its hypersonic weapon today. These can carry nuclear warheads.

So many innocent dead already.

Please stop Mr Putin.

It’s horrific, every day you think it can’t get any worse and another atrocity is reported.  donating  another fifty quid to the appeal today. Putin is evil personified if he can coldly order such genocide, watch the terror he has unleashed  and feel nothing. It does as you say challenge unilateral disarmament but that argument is for another day. Hopefully the concert will raise a substantial amount.