Jump to content

Coach ticket conundrum


upshitcreek
 Share

Recommended Posts

HI All, 

My self and 5 lucky pals where lucky enough to secure coach tickets way back when. Since then we've had a little lad who we want to bring with us along with our 5 year old. As this is going to change our festival somewhat, and are lucky enough to own a campervan, I'm toying with the idea of getting a Love Fields pitch to allow us an easier ride with the kids. 

The obvious issue is we don't get our tickets until were on the coach, and then id need to get the van down there. I'm aware this is defeating the object of the coach ticket, but things change in however many years its been. Last time i got on the coach (i think 2016) the tickets where given out to the lead booker with all the tickets in an envelope. Does anyone know if that's the same situation every year, as in theory this would leave myself able to drive the van down with the kids and meet the rest of the group down there.

any help or opinions appreciated

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, upshitcreek said:

HI All, 

My self and 5 lucky pals where lucky enough to secure coach tickets way back when. Since then we've had a little lad who we want to bring with us along with our 5 year old. As this is going to change our festival somewhat, and are lucky enough to own a campervan, I'm toying with the idea of getting a Love Fields pitch to allow us an easier ride with the kids. 

The obvious issue is we don't get our tickets until were on the coach, and then id need to get the van down there. I'm aware this is defeating the object of the coach ticket, but things change in however many years its been. Last time i got on the coach (i think 2016) the tickets where given out to the lead booker with all the tickets in an envelope. Does anyone know if that's the same situation every year, as in theory this would leave myself able to drive the van down with the kids and meet the rest of the group down there.

any help or opinions appreciated

I last got the coach in 2015 from Oxford, the coach driver checked our booking ref to get on the coach then handed the actual festival tickets out to everyone when we had stopped at the services on the M4.

I got handed an envelope with all the tickets in as lead booker, however I'm not sure if the drivers are instructed to remove any tickets if someone doesn't board the coach?

The only other option I could see is getting the coach to the festival then could you possibly pay someone who isn't going to the festival to drive your van down then they could get a train back home? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Think it varies from driver to driver.

Last one I got the driver handed out tickets individually before we left. In theory we could have walked off the coach there and then.

 

Would that also have involved asking him to remove your luggage from the hold?! 🙂 

The system isn't perfect, I'm sure they get told what to do, but as you say just depends on the driver as to whether they stick to it or not.

Our driver kicked off when the bloke behind me put a portable stereo on with some house music as he couldn't hear Radio 2 because of it!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, upshitcreek said:

HI All, 

My self and 5 lucky pals where lucky enough to secure coach tickets way back when. Since then we've had a little lad who we want to bring with us along with our 5 year old. As this is going to change our festival somewhat, and are lucky enough to own a campervan, I'm toying with the idea of getting a Love Fields pitch to allow us an easier ride with the kids. 

The obvious issue is we don't get our tickets until were on the coach, and then id need to get the van down there. I'm aware this is defeating the object of the coach ticket, but things change in however many years its been. Last time i got on the coach (i think 2016) the tickets where given out to the lead booker with all the tickets in an envelope. Does anyone know if that's the same situation every year, as in theory this would leave myself able to drive the van down with the kids and meet the rest of the group down there.

any help or opinions appreciated

Is your coach on Wednesday?  If so, could you drive your van down on Tuesday and go home and get the coach?

46 minutes ago, gooner1990 said:

Actually on the same theme, I'm getting the coach this year...I really do hope that our return coach on the Monday to Oxford isn't at 07.30 like it was in 2015.  Was a tough alarm call that one!

That's easy! Closing set at Block 9, pack up your stuff and go to get the coach! 🙂

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I last got the coach in 2017, I wasn’t the lead booker but I remember queuing and giving the driver my name so he could find my ticket. 
 

Your case probably isn’t that unusual in the years since the festival was supposed to be held. Contact the festival and see if they can make arrangements for you. It’s not going to be fair on the small child and other passengers for them to be on a long coach journey. Kids just don’t have the same bladder control as the rest of us so it’s a logistics issue.
 

You’re likely not to be the only person with this particular problem. There are a lot of new family members due to extended lockdowns. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, stuie said:

Is your coach on Wednesday?  If so, could you drive your van down on Tuesday and go home and get the coach?

That's easy! Closing set at Block 9, pack up your stuff and go to get the coach! 🙂

Assume to park a van at Glastonbury you need to show a ticket to the festival as well as a permit to park? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

We'd travelled light as friends had kindly agreed to take our bags in their car.

Oh that's lucky. When I went in 2015 some other friends took my beer and camping chair and I took the rest in with me.

Got a coach ticket this year for the first time since then so hoping to be able to do the same again. 🙂 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, kingbadger said:

Assume to park a van at Glastonbury you need to show a ticket to the festival as well as a permit to park? 

I think he's hoping to stay at a glamping site so perhaps a call/email to them to explain might help?

But I agree yes, that sounds a better way round of doing it!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, gooner1990 said:

Oh that's lucky. When I went in 2015 some other friends took my beer and camping chair and I took the rest in with me.

Got a coach ticket this year for the first time since then so hoping to be able to do the same again. 🙂 

I'm usually the one who sorts tickets out so it's the least they can do.

Unless a miracle happens for Mrs J in the resale I fear I'll be travelling solo this year (mates I'm going with this year are either in different parts of the country or going Wednesday). Looks like I'm on an early National Express from London early Thursday morning... those fuckers can definitely take my stuff!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

We've got 6 coach tickets for this year , for the Thursday from Bath.

First time with coach tickets,  so wondering if anyone would know approximately when the coaches leave?

Obviously,  losing a day already, we want to get there as early as possible.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I believe any tickets that aren't collected from the driver on the coach go to the Box Office at the Glastonbury site. So it could possibly be an option to pick them up from there? I guess the problem is it's not guaranteed when the driver will drop them off which could make things difficult.

Seeing as you've paid for entry I doubt they have any power to actually refuse entry for not taking the coach, although they can make it as difficult as possible!

Edited by discgoesmic
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, BlackZeppelin said:

We've got 6 coach tickets for this year , for the Thursday from Bath.

First time with coach tickets,  so wondering if anyone would know approximately when the coaches leave?

Obviously,  losing a day already, we want to get there as early as possible.

I think with Bath (along with a few other cities) you book the departure time when you buy the tickets?

TBH its the luck of the draw I think, when I used the coach in 2015 we had a really early departure time from Oxford (something like 06.30) but then we also had a really early departure time home on the Monday (07.30).

One of my friends got a coach ticket in 2011 and had a late departure time (3pm or so) but someone else took his tent down for him in the car so when he arrived at 6pm he walked straight in and his tent was already set up for him.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

35 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

I'm usually the one who sorts tickets out so it's the least they can do.

Unless a miracle happens for Mrs J in the resale I fear I'll be travelling solo this year (mates I'm going with this year are either in different parts of the country or going Wednesday). Looks like I'm on an early National Express from London early Thursday morning... those fuckers can definitely take my stuff!

TBH it sounds like a much better deal, miss all the queuing and mayhem of getting in, nice quiet coach down on the thurs morning with no kit to carry, straight in to a set up campsite and get bang on it.

plus you feel a lot fresher than everyone else.

win win I'd say.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

46 minutes ago, gooner1990 said:

I'm 40 not 21 ! 😄 

I'm 42 but I reserve the right to behave in such a disgusting manner once or twice a year! 😄

51 minutes ago, kingbadger said:

Assume to park a van at Glastonbury you need to show a ticket to the festival as well as a permit to park? 

On site camping is sold out and any resale of campervan tickets will be minimal, so I was assuming the question was about off site options! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, stuie said:

I'm 42 but I reserve the right to behave in such a disgusting manner once or twice a year! 😄

HA! Yeh, tbh these days by the time Sunday night comes I've usually lost a lot of energy...headliners and then bed for me probably! 😞 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...