In Memoriam Thread

CaledonianGonzo

5 minutes ago, Sawdusty surfer said:

Nik Turner. I've seen Hawkwind literally more times than I can remember. A large part of the soundtrack of my youth 

Oh no. Seen Inner City Unit and of course space ritual too. Had one or 2 chats with him in recent years at Glastonbury. Missed his sets this year though. Early Hawkwind used to be on heavy rotation in my youth

11 minutes ago, Sawdusty surfer said:

Nik Turner. I've seen Hawkwind literally more times than I can remember. A large part of the soundtrack of my youth 

Oh fucking shit, I used to know him personally from his days busking in Camarthen and playing just about every free party in West Wales when I lived in those parts. Haven't seen him for years, I think the last time was at about 6am in Block 9. He was a lovely guy.

My favourite time spent with him was at Buddha Field many, many years ago. A group of us had volunteered to put up a marquee, but only Nick and I turned up. We decided we could manage it and spent a lovely few hours taking about he old days, with plenty of Hawkwind stories from Nick.

It's always much worse when you have a connection.

Genuinely gutted.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sawdusty surfer said:

Shame to hear this. That said, 82 is a good innings considering.

I saw him play with Hawkwind at the last Stonehenge Festival in 1984, whilst en route to Glastonbury. 😵💫

Edited by henry bear
  • Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, henry bear said:

Shame to hear this. That said, 82 is a good innings considering.

I saw him play with Hawkwind at the last Stonehenge Festival in 1984, whilst en route to Glastonbury. 😵💫

I was there as well. My first free festival having been to Donnington and Reading. Honestly couldn't believe quite what I was witnessing. 

16 hours ago, Sawdusty surfer said:

I'm sad! I was hugely into Hawkwind. 

I first saw Hawkwind in the Glasgow Apollo in 1973, Lemmy was still with them, first gig I ever saw with an amazing light show (Liquid Lens). 

• Upvote 1

Mo Ostin 

Who the hell is he? Died a couple of months back.

Yeah, I didn't know either, but he was instrumental with Warner Bros. in signing an unbelievable array of talent. Maybe we wouldn't have heard of some of these acts without him:

Frank Sinatra, The Kinks, Jimi Hendrix, Neil Young, Paul Simon, Joni Mitchell, Grateful Dead, REM, Fleetwood Mac, James Taylor, Talking Heads, The Ramones, Madonna (those last 3 in a distribution deal), Prince, Van Morrison, Rod Stewart, Tom Petty, Van Halen, ZZ Top ...etc etc

Nick Turner, so sad to hear of his passing. Hawkwind were yet another part of the soundtrack of my teenage years. Their gigs were absolutely amazing, crazy and utterly unpredictable.  Described as underground or progressive or psychedelic or heavy rock.  Whatever the label I loved them. 
another sad loss a few days ago was Rab Noakes of stealers wheel.

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

another sad loss a few days ago was Rab Noakes of stealers wheel.

Oh no! I saw him just a few years ago at Celtic Connections. I presume it was the cancer that did him in. I’ve vague recollections of seeing him in the 70’s in Glasgow but I’ve no idea where. 

39 minutes ago, Avalon_Fields said:

Oh no! I saw him just a few years ago at Celtic Connections. I presume it was the cancer that did him in. I’ve vague recollections of seeing him in the 70’s in Glasgow but I’ve no idea where. 

Yes that’s what got him. He played in venues all over Scotland and worked with the BBC for a while 

23 hours ago, fred quimby said:

Missed his sets this year though. Early Hawkwind used to be on heavy rotation in my youth

Popped along to the Mandala Stage a couple of times this summer to see him do his stuff but the jams went ahead without him. Gutted, I was hoping to see him one more time. Like others have mentioned, Hawkwind and associated bands were a heavy part of my younger days too.

• 2 weeks later...