Live gigs - Who you've seen were they good, bad etc.

gigpusher

On 4/13/2024 at 1:45 AM, clarkete said:

Zutons, Marble Factory in Bristol. 

Put on a good show and had a very receptive audience. 

20240412_211149.jpg

Saw them in Glasgow tonight and they were superb, brilliant atmosphere for a school night! Such a great live band!

Went to see Paul Draper at The Caves in Edinburgh last night - he was struggling with a sore throat but was still amazing. A great little venue and it was really good to hear Six played in full. Highly recommend!!

Swim School supported by Lizzie Esau at Hull Adelphi last night, really good, think they will be playing bigger venues soon so catch them while you can, Wolf Alicey vibes if that's your bag

• 2 weeks later...

Frank Turner in Southampton yesterday The Brook at the end of his 15 gigs in 15 towns in 24 hours world record to promote MVT and his new album. 
He was still singing full on for 25mins! 

IMG_2511.jpeg

IMG_2518.jpeg

9 minutes ago, sedra said:

Frank Turner in Southampton yesterday The Brook at the end of his 15 gigs in 15 towns in 24 hours world record to promote MVT and his new album. 
He was still singing full on for 25mins! 

IMG_2511.jpeg

IMG_2518.jpeg

Is his t-shirt saying "Whose Stupid Idea Was This?"

I like the fact a while ago he said he was cutting down on some of these kind of endurance gig tests, then did a run of doing shows in all 50 US states in 50 days and now this. But good on him for still at this point having the physical stamina to do all of this.

I might've been available for either Leamington Spa or Leighton Buzzard but was caught out by the sale times and missed out.

26 minutes ago, charlierc said:

Is his t-shirt saying "Whose Stupid Idea Was This?"

I like the fact a while ago he said he was cutting down on some of these kind of endurance gig tests, then did a run of doing shows in all 50 US states in 50 days and now this. But good on him for still at this point having the physical stamina to do all of this.

I might've been available for either Leamington Spa or Leighton Buzzard but was caught out by the sale times and missed out.

Yep that’s the T-Shirt ! 😂

I think he just needs to keep playing live - he is famously always on tour. I have tickets for show 3000 in Feb next year at Ally Pally which should be a great event. 

Bruce last night in Cardiff.

Not really a Bruce fan but a friend won tickets in the week, and it's only a walk in for us to reach the stadium, so hardly going to turn them down.

Just the most impeccable show you're likely to see on that scale. As a slight Bruce-agnostic, I was a bit wary going in that his reputation had been perhaps unduly bestowed upon him by a devoted rabble of older men and women, but I was absolutely gripped.

The relationship between him, the band, and the fans is pretty much unlike anything I've seen before - when you add in incomparable stagecraft, world class musicianship, and an ever-changing deep setlist, I completely get why so many fans return to him 10, 20, 30 times.

Any more worthy Bruce fans able to comment?

5 minutes ago, JayDiesel said:

Not really a Bruce fan but a friend won tickets in the week, and it's only a walk in for us to reach the stadium, so hardly going to turn them down.

Just the most impeccable show you're likely to see on that scale. As a slight Bruce-agnostic, I was a bit wary going in that his reputation had been perhaps unduly bestowed upon him by a devoted rabble of older men and women, but I was absolutely gripped.

The relationship between him, the band, and the fans is pretty much unlike anything I've seen before - when you add in incomparable stagecraft, world class musicianship, and an ever-changing deep setlist, I completely get why so many fans return to him 10, 20, 30 times.

I'm interested to know what the venue's like. Want to go see Foo Fighters there as a mate lives in Cardiff and she's a big fan.

14 minutes ago, sedra said:

Yep that’s the T-Shirt ! 😂

I think he just needs to keep playing live - he is famously always on tour. I have tickets for show 3000 in Feb next year at Ally Pally which should be a great event. 

Good to know I called it right.

I can vouch for his longevity tbf. First saw him opening for Green Day at Wembley 14 years ago and he is still going, so fair play to the guy. Tempted by show 3000, especially as I was ill when he last played Alexandra Palace in 2015 so struggled to enjoy it so would be nice to return and have more of a celebratory visit.

6 minutes ago, JayDiesel said:

I was there too and it was amazing.  I only saw him live for the first time last year at Villa Park and was blown away so jumped at the chance to see him again. The set list was varied, lots of crowd pleasers but some more obscure ones too ... I think it changes a bit every night.  His interaction with the crowd was lovely, and he and his band seemed to genuinely love every moment.  To be performing for 3 hours straight is some feat!  

And praise too to the venue - I've never been to the Principality stadium before and it was fantastic.  Really well organised, easy getting in and out, no real queues for anything, and having the roof on added a different dimension.  Loved it !

Was my third time seeing Bruce and it was the best yet, setlist way better than Hyde Park last year and felt like him and the band were really up for it last night. Was in the front pit and the atmosphere was great, think having the roof closed really helped with the sound as well. 

Edited by baggie92

Was a fantastic night watching Bruce who I got tickets for my Wife’s Christmas present.

Excellent venue and organisation.

Train station very close and we stayed in the premier inn which is a 10 minute walk to the stadium.

IMG_2866.jpeg

IMG_2895.png

• Like 1

4 hours ago, charlierc said:

I'm interested to know what the venue's like. Want to go see Foo Fighters there as a mate lives in Cardiff and she's a big fan.

Fantastic venue. We stayed at the premier inn in town and it’s a ten minute walk to the venue. Train station close by but we drove in as of the worry over the train strike today.

Parked at the Morrisons by the sports village for £5 for 24 hours. Bus stop opposite which takes you back in to the centre of town. 

A local gig for me and spot on.  Very well organised.  Good stewarding (only downside was that I had my bottle of water confiscated at the bag search going in).  Great to have a major sports stadium and music venue in the centre of the city.  The designers of the stadium were very clever and thoughtful.  It has a concrete floor and the turf for rugby matches is brought in on pallets from the growing area outside the city.

Easy parking both in the city (we used the John Lewis car park a five minute walk away) and good park and rides.  Acoustics and lighting were excellent.  Great venue for music even though Wales are struggling a bit with rugby at the moment.

Oh, and the band weren't bad either!

4 hours ago, westholtschic said:

Was a fantastic night watching Bruce who I got tickets for my Wife’s Christmas present.

Excellent venue and organisation.

Train station very close and we stayed in the premier inn which is a 10 minute walk to the stadium.

IMG_2866.jpeg

IMG_2895.png

That is one awesome setlist. We’ve seen him three times and has never disappointed. 

• Upvote 1

I was there for Bruce too. As others have said, great setlist, fantastic atmosphere with a real party atmosphere that Bruce and the mighty ESB clearly fed off. It helped having decent seats too - great view, and everyone was up dancing when appropriate 

Topaz-P1033013-topaz-denoise-enhance-2x-faceai-sharpen.jpeg

Bruce Springsteen - Cardiff, Sunday.

(i know there have been a few posts on this already, but i just wanted to add my 2cents)

i think i can sum up this show in three words - Bruce Is Back!

i went to 6 shows last year, and they were all sh*t.

as soon as he stepped out on stage in Cardiff, you just knew it was different - there was quite literally magic in the air.

he performed with such passion and energy and emotion and power... everything that was missing from the shows last year.

Sunday was my 54th Bruce show - and i have to say it was up there with the best of them (not the Best of the Best, it wasn't quite up there... but man it was close).

i've been trying to think of a single highlight, but really i would say, and i know its a bit of a cop out, but the entire show was a highlight.

but if i had a gun to my head, and someone demanded a highlight i think i would probably say it was "If I was the Priest" - i cant say i really care for this song on record, i always thought it felt about 5 minutes too long, and sort of felt like "bruce-by-numbers".... but fuuuuuuck, live it was simply magnificent.

i walked out of every show last year wishing i hadn't bothered.

as i walked through Cardiff back to the hotel on sunday i wished i was going to more shows - and that is a f**king great feeling to have!

f**k yeah!

also just to add - he is still playing the piece of crap that is "Nightshift" - so there is still a perfect bar run song!

Edited by -TLR-
Nightshift...

I went to see Elephant sessions last week at Bristol Fleece.  I  first saw them at Glastonbury in 2019 in Avalon, where it was jumping.  

It did not disappoint, and as the crowd were obviously up for a lively Scottish modern folk vibe, and they got a great ovation at the end.  I would recommend going along to see them if you have the chance.

I was at Bruce on Sunday and it's clear from the other comments that my seat choice really was a monumental f**k-up.

I was initially put off by the ticket prices, so after a little investigating, I opted for the restricted view option (£90 a pop!). I'd looked on the viewfrommyseat website and it looked like they'd be ok, and from a being able to see point of view, they were.

20240505_183537.thumb.jpg.b7b29229eb1fdac10f1aae1a9441b172.jpg

However, the observant of you will see the low roof. That completely buggered up  the sound, it was far too quiet in that section, I listen to music louder at home. On top of that, anyone showing any signs of having a good time was told to sit down and shut up by the stewards untill it got to the encore.

Bruce and the band were excellent but it felt like we were watching other people enjoy a gig. From all the comments above, it looks like they all were and I'm even more gutted. Having said all that, I don't know if I'd have stretched to the next ticket price so may not have gone at all if it wasn't for the ones we got.

Not so sure on the organisation, if you're going to have set entrances down side streets, put up signs showing people where to go rather than them walking down a road and only finding they can't get in that way and have to double back. 

£7.80 a pint.

TLDR: It looked like most people had a great time, I was very disappointed. They should advertise the seats as restricted sound rather than restricted view.

30 minutes ago, Gnomicide said:

I was at Bruce on Sunday and it's clear from the other comments that my seat choice really was a monumental f**k-up.

I was initially put off by the ticket prices, so after a little investigating, I opted for the restricted view option (£90 a pop!). I'd looked on the viewfrommyseat website and it looked like they'd be ok, and from a being able to see point of view, they were.

20240505_183537.thumb.jpg.b7b29229eb1fdac10f1aae1a9441b172.jpg

However, the observant of you will see the low roof. That completely buggered up  the sound, it was far too quiet in that section, I listen to music louder at home. On top of that, anyone showing any signs of having a good time was told to sit down and shut up by the stewards untill it got to the encore.

Bruce and the band were excellent but it felt like we were watching other people enjoy a gig. From all the comments above, it looks like they all were and I'm even more gutted. Having said all that, I don't know if I'd have stretched to the next ticket price so may not have gone at all if it wasn't for the ones we got.

Not so sure on the organisation, if you're going to have set entrances down side streets, put up signs showing people where to go rather than them walking down a road and only finding they can't get in that way and have to double back. 

£7.80 a pint.

TLDR: It looked like most people had a great time, I was very disappointed. They should advertise the seats as restricted sound rather than restricted view.

That’s a bummer! Out of interest, which row were you in? I bought similar tickets for Billy Joel in August 😬

36 minutes ago, henry bear said:

That’s a bummer! Out of interest, which row were you in? I bought similar tickets for Billy Joel in August 😬

I can't remember now and I've deleted the tickets, but there were only 2 rows behind us, both of which they hadn't sold.

2 hours ago, Gnomicide said:

I can't remember now and I've deleted the tickets, but there were only 2 rows behind us, both of which they hadn't sold.

Ok cheers. I’ve just checked and there’s 7 rows behind us and looking at photos of the view from equivalent seats on ‘view from my seat’ I should be ok. I’m sorry your experience of the Principality Stadium wasn’t great - I’m a bit biased I guess as it’s my ‘local’ stadium, but generally I do like it as a venue. The sound is usually good, as opposed to Wembley which can be hit and miss. The catering isn’t great admittedly, and yes - bloody expensive as per