Live gigs - Who you've seen were they good, bad etc.

gigpusher

12 hours ago, NorthernSoul52 said:

Only heard robust things about their live skills. I just can't seem to get into them on record.

I think even if you can't get into them on record they would be worth going to see at a festival to give them a go, there was just so much energy

They really lean into whipping the crowd up into a frenzy, encouraged as many crowd surfers as possible, challenged people to try and get past security and get on stage to win a t shirt, extremely interactive with the audience either shouting stuff or throwing things on stage to them

It might not be the most responsible thing in this day and age but it feels like the audience behaved better because they were trusted and involved

1 hour ago, panda97 said:

I think even if you can't get into them on record they would be worth going to see at a festival to give them a go, there was just so much energy

They really lean into whipping the crowd up into a frenzy, encouraged as many crowd surfers as possible, challenged people to try and get past security and get on stage to win a t shirt, extremely interactive with the audience either shouting stuff or throwing things on stage to them

It might not be the most responsible thing in this day and age but it feels like the audience behaved better because they were trusted and involved

Nice. Thanks for the recommendation!

On 11/18/2023 at 8:04 AM, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

Saw the Prodigy at AO Arena in Manchester last night. My first time at that venue, found it pretty soulless, like most arenas. 42nd time seeing the band. After seeing them a few times since his passing, I've come to the conclusion that they do miss Keef, but the show is still as ferocious as ever. I'm not quite sure Maxim fully carries them but of course they give it everything, as they always have. They've upped the production values a fair bit and gone a bit nuts with the lasers and they've ramped up the Flinty tribute midway through. My only slight disappointment is them not switching up the setlist at all. Pretty much the same one since the return shows from last summer.

Do they have some kind of statue of him in the middle of the crowd?

4 hours ago, Wooderson said:

Do they have some kind of statue of him in the middle of the crowd?

No, it's a ten-foot tall mannequin stood in the soundboard with combat gear on that fires lasers back at the stage. When they play Firestarter it projects a laser silhouette of Flinty. It's pretty cool. I imagine it would be on the actual stage for festivals, if they use it

1 hour ago, panda97 said:

Has anybody been to any of the Banquet records shows at Pryzm in Kingston upon Thames before? What sort of capacity is the venue? Is it essentially just a regular show or is it closer to a signing/meet and greet kind of thing?

I've been to the venue that's like an episode of Hitman & Her, just around the corner. Is that the same place?

2 hours ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

No, it's a ten-foot tall mannequin stood in the soundboard with combat gear on that fires lasers back at the stage. When they play Firestarter it projects a laser silhouette of Flinty. It's pretty cool. I imagine it would be on the actual stage for festivals, if they use it

That's a big mannequin.

+1 for Prodigy, saw them in Brighton on Monday night.  Agree with @Supernintendo Chalmers that Maxim does a grand old job, but it definitely misses Keith as a frontman if only to share the job between them.  To be fair to Maxim his vocals are still really strong, didn't miss a beat.  And they sound absolutely immense.  The tribute to Keith was right in the feels as well, think that effectively retiring Firestarter is a classy move.

Setlist wasn't an issue for me, love that it was quite Jilted Generation-heavy although I would have liked a bit more from Fat Of The Land.  Their Law probably my highlight.

BC Camplight tonight!

Edited by Quark

22 hours ago, panda97 said:

Has anybody been to any of the Banquet records shows at Pryzm in Kingston upon Thames before? What sort of capacity is the venue? Is it essentially just a regular show or is it closer to a signing/meet and greet kind of thing?

I've been to a few of these now over the past couple of years. It depends on the timings, and also the artist, but they are usually shorter gigs than usual to promote an album release around the same time. However Sleaford Mods earlier this year did a full 90 minute set which was superb. I saw Dry Cleaning last year in the disco room which was pretty cool, in the round and a tiny crowd. 

20 hours ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

I've been to the venue that's like an episode of Hitman & Her, just around the corner. Is that the same place?

I think so! However the gigs are in the room at the top of the venue with the dome ceiling - a lot more character than the rest of the place

Saw many cracking bands at the Shiiine On Weekender at the weekend but The Wonder Stuff blew the roof off as usual. Latest line up is brilliant.

Others who were excellent were Jim Bob, Ned's Atomic Dustbin, Ian Prowse and Amsterdam, Stereo MC's, Terrorvision, The View, The Enemy and K-Klass. Young Scottish band called Ecko are ones to look out for too.

Off to See Rianne Downey tonight, she played with Billy Bragg and Jamie Webster on the Leftfield stage this year.

• Upvote 1