Live gigs - Who you've seen were they good, bad etc.

gigpusher

On 5/10/2024 at 11:43 AM, henry bear said:

I thought he sounded a little bit croaky in Cardiff tbh, nothing too bad but it’s obviously got worse. Not what you want at the start of a European tour

He struggled with Born in the USA I thought, but when you are his age and the length of show I let him off. Still a amazing night and performance.

I went to see Bruce in Belfast. Stunning show, really enjoyable setlist and great venue - Bruce admitted at the end that he had a cold and to be honest you could tell. I've seen Bruce and the band a few times now and that was the worst form they've been on so far. Absolutely loved it though still, and can't wait for Wembley in a couple of months

8 hours ago, westholtschic said:

He struggled with Born in the USA I thought, but when you are his age and the length of show I let him off. Still an amazing night and performance.

Indeed. I remember wondering if the struggles he had with that song was because of a cold or just an age thing. His pipes were otherwise in fine form for a 74 year old!

9 hours ago, The Nal said:

Eric sounding great

Absolute insanity that hes never played Glasto

Maybe his racist views went against the ethos of the festival?

25 minutes ago, tarw said:

Maybe his racist views went against the ethos of the festival?

Former racist views when he was a junkie alco 50 years ago. An absolute idiot, of course.

Anyway its never stopped the festival before. Coldplay aside, dont think anyone has headlined more than Elvis Costello?

That Time Elvis Costello Incited a Brawl With Racist Remarks

2 hours ago, The Nal said:

Former racist views when he was a junkie alco 50 years ago. An absolute idiot, of course.

Anyway its never stopped the festival before. Coldplay aside, dont think anyone has headlined more than Elvis Costello?

That Time Elvis Costello Incited a Brawl With Racist Remarks

Sorry but to me it’s a different league. 

Clapton urged the audience at a gig to “get the foreigners out and keep Britain White”   If that’s not inciting racial violence I don’t know what is.

This was probably at the height of his career and a lot of bands and artists would have refused to be on the same bill as him at that time-he was the catalyst for the formation of Rock Against Racism. I don’t think the festival would have touched him at that time. 

Even if it was a result of his addictions he said in his autobiography when talking about it that he had learned to keep his ideas to himself. 

On 5/10/2024 at 8:17 AM, -TLR- said:

did anyone on here go to Bruce in Belfast last night?

the setlist was essentially the same as Cardiff (there were three changes i think, one of which was Land of Hope and Dreams which is up there with my all time favorite Bruce songs).

i've heard differing reports of the show - but a common thread seems to be that Bruce was actually pretty ill and it really showed and the show was... well.... not great.

i'd be very interested to hear opinion from anyone that was actually there.

I was at the Belfast show and thought it was pretty poor.  I have never managed to catch Bruce before and figured this might be my last opportunity.  Saw 2 tickets for £65 the day before the show (face value £120) and thought why not!  Loads of people rave about him live, but I thought the atmosphere in general was very flat unless you were right up the front - they seemed to be having a great time up there, but elsewhere loads of chattering all night and real long lulls in the middle of the set.  Maybe it is normal for a Bruce gig, but loads of bored people who only really perked up for the obvious 5 or 6 big hits.  Hungry Heart in the first half of the set got a noticeable cheer - you could really tell that it was the first one a lot of people knew!!   I managed to stay for the whole set, but actually considered leaving about half way through, which I just never do.  Happy I got to see him, but not a memorable one.  Glad I got the tickets half price!

1 hour ago, circus92 said:

Loads of people rave about him live, but I thought the atmosphere in general was very flat unless you were right up the front - they seemed to be having a great time up there, but elsewhere loads of chattering all night and real long lulls in the middle of the set. 

Agreed on this. I felt very self aware singing along to all the deep cuts with people around me who were less into it. It looked absolutely massive down the front, was a bit bitter about that

8 hours ago, circus92 said:

I was at the Belfast show and thought it was pretty poor.  I have never managed to catch Bruce before and figured this might be my last opportunity.  Saw 2 tickets for £65 the day before the show (face value £120) and thought why not!  Loads of people rave about him live, but I thought the atmosphere in general was very flat unless you were right up the front - they seemed to be having a great time up there, but elsewhere loads of chattering all night and real long lulls in the middle of the set.  Maybe it is normal for a Bruce gig, but loads of bored people who only really perked up for the obvious 5 or 6 big hits.  Hungry Heart in the first half of the set got a noticeable cheer - you could really tell that it was the first one a lot of people knew!!   I managed to stay for the whole set, but actually considered leaving about half way through, which I just never do.  Happy I got to see him, but not a memorable one.  Glad I got the tickets half price!

That’s Belfast crowds for you. I’m from here but I travel for festivals and gigs all the time. The worst crowds are northern Irish crowds. We don’t know how to have fun. Try to avoid gigs here now 

10 hours ago, tarw said:

Sorry but to me it’s a different league. 

Clapton urged the audience at a gig to “get the foreigners out and keep Britain White”   If that’s not inciting racial violence I don’t know what is.

This was probably at the height of his career and a lot of bands and artists would have refused to be on the same bill as him at that time-he was the catalyst for the formation of Rock Against Racism. I don’t think the festival would have touched him at that time. 

Even if it was a result of his addictions he said in his autobiography when talking about it that he had learned to keep his ideas to himself. 

It was despicable carry on, no arguement there. He said worse than that in that rant too. 

But yeah, not his views now. Even if he is a country alliance Tory type. And theres been headliners who have done worse.

On 5/12/2024 at 7:58 AM, blue6field said:

Saw camera obscura at the Barrowlands last night, they were fantastic! Brilliant atmosphere, great set list and the band were sounding on top form!

Yes, very enjoyable. As they were starting rehearsals they asked on Twitter for song suggestions they should play and they did every single one I asked for.

Saw Big Special at Strange Brew in Bristol last night and they were ace, best gig I've been to in ages. Brilliant rapport with the crowd and they played the new album from start to finish which was cool. I've seen Adrianne Lenker and Bruce in the last couple of weeks which were both awesome gigs but Big Special topped them all. Definitely worth catching in the Leftfield at Glastonbury.

34 minutes ago, Neverneverland said:

Saw Big Special at Strange Brew in Bristol last night and they were ace, best gig I've been to in ages. Brilliant rapport with the crowd and they played the new album from start to finish which was cool. I've seen Adrianne Lenker and Bruce in the last couple of weeks which were both awesome gigs but Big Special topped them all. Definitely worth catching in the Leftfield at Glastonbury.

I was there as well. What a show.

The Album was sounding great and they were chuffed at how much love was coming from the audience. So much energy.

Added to my must see list at Glastonbury now, excited to see them again already.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ncahir94 said:

That’s Belfast crowds for you. I’m from here but I travel for festivals and gigs all the time. The worst crowds are northern Irish crowds. We don’t know how to have fun. Try to avoid gigs here now 

Would partly agree with you on that - can be very hit or miss.  Although I did see The Killers in the exact same venue last year and the crowd was well up for it - was one of the best times I have seen them.

I didn't know about this until just now but yeesh. I know that there was a huge storm in the area yesterday, given it's near to Old Trafford football ground and the rain was so heavy it waterlogged the pitch and caused a waterfall inside the stadium. But didn't know about this as an after effect.

Kacey Musgraves at the O2 Academy Glasgow on Friday.

I am certain 99% of the audience members left the venue, feeling uplifted and happy. Kacey and the band were fantastic.

What would have been a fun and feel-good evening, however, ended up as an extremely frustrating experience for me, and, presumably, those unlucky few on my adjacent seats.

I was on the balcony. As it was non-reserved, I went there early enough to secure a good vantage point. There is only one aisle running through the centre (besides the very right and left sides of both blocks), and I managed an centre aisle seat, seventh row counting from the front. Not only a good view being guaranteed, but also I wouldn’t have to wade through a row of people whenever I wanted to leave the seat and come back. I thought I got the best position on the balcony. Boy was I wrong.

While people were entering the balcony and looking for where to sit, a security guy was standing on the aisle by my side, assisting them in finding their seats. Nothing wrong with that. 

Then. Madi Diaz, the support act, took the stage and started the solo performance, singing and strumming the guitar. During her set that lasted for about half an hour, the security guy stood at the  bottom end of the centre aisle, the very front spot, turning his back against the stage, facing and observing the balcony crowd.

I could see the singer/songwriter delivering her songs, but felt the security guy was so distracting, an eyesore. Nonetheless, I put up with this uncomfortable situation, hoping he would not be there when the main act was onstage. My optimism turned out to be unfounded. The security guy stayed there during Kacey’s show, watching over the crowd, left, right and centre, from beginning to end, blocking roughly 1/3 of the stage view. Claiming this was frustrating would be an understatement. Worse still, I assume there were some others who couldn’t see Kacey for the most part of the show, depending on their positions.

Why the venue allowed this sh*t to happen is beyond me. I have taken a seat in the similar spot a few times before at this venue, but never experienced anything like this. Is this an aftermath of the recent terrorism at the rock concert in Russia?

I turned around and tried to locate an empty seat in the back if I could change the seat, but due to the night being completely sold out, all the seats were seemingly occupied as far as I could see so I gave up and had to be contented with where I was.

At the end of the day, I count this as one of those sh*t evenings a frequent concert goer hits and suffers from by chance or with bad luck once in a while and cannot avoid 100%.

IMG_9384.jpeg

IMG_9387.jpeg

IMG_9389.jpeg

For me it is always just when the main act is about to come on, someone 7 foot tall who seems like they couldnt care less about being there comes and stands right in front of me dead still for the whole gig.  Happens every time 

2 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

That's cos she tells you "it'll all be alright" in a way that is really difficult to argue against 

Last time I saw her, think I'd just had a hug with you. A blubbering mess after Slow Burn.

Loads and loads from Golden Hour last night. Damn, but Butterflies is a tune.

The Black Crowes at Manc Apollo last night. They were on fine firm, quite a few songs from the new album but that was fine as it's a belter. Chris Robinson clearly enjoying himself, the rest of the band and the backing singers too.

Support act were The Jim Jones All Stars. A fun act but it mainly seemed to be a collection of bits of songs that they hadn't been able to completely form into something coherent. 

VideoCapture_20240515-092429.thumb.jpg.da8fbe8f671b767538d7aabecb0cab01.jpg

Anyone at the Elbow gig in Co Op Live last night? Interested to know how the venue was.

Inside the Co-op Live arena - was it worth the wait? - BBC News

'However, unless you're the Las Vegas Sphere, there's not much a venue can do to reinvent the basic arena concept, and this doesn't. It's a big shed with a stage at one end, seats around the sides and a concrete floor in the middle'

On 5/13/2024 at 8:44 AM, Neverneverland said:

On 5/13/2024 at 9:20 AM, besbes333 said:

I was there as well. What a show.

The Album was sounding great and they were chuffed at how much love was coming from the audience. So much energy.

Added to my must see list at Glastonbury now, excited to see them again already.

Good to hear, really enjoying the album and have them on my Must See list for Bearded Theory next week.