On this day…

Tartan_Glasto

It’s that time of year when we’re all thinking about what we would be doing if Glastonbury was on. Well, I know it’s what I’m thinking about a lot!

21.06.2017 - Camp was set up after a long queue in the blistering hot heat! First day of the festival and I was ready for it all ahead of me!

2C4DC14D-6C3D-4DD8-81C8-9EADF77012D7.jpeg

What were we all up to on this day in the various Glastonbury years? Let's relive festivals gone by. 

Edited by Tartan_Glasto

Monday before the festival I was off to load sofas onto a flat bed trailer and then drive down to the festival to set up my tent, our camp would already be partly done. Then a shift later in the day. Then pub crawl at night and very very happy to be back

Photo from the Monday evening 

20190624_212844.jpg

Edited by fred quimby

21.06.17 - I completed the remake of Doom on the PS4.... No kidding, Mrs J was pregnant and really didn't fancy the journey and reports of ridiculous traffic in that extreme heat so we decided not to travel that day and come the next day. She spent the day lying down and I played computer games all day.

3 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

21.06.17 - I completed the remake of Doom on the PS4.... No kidding, Mrs J was pregnant and really didn't fancy the journey and reports of ridiculous traffic in that extreme heat so we decided not to travel that day and come the next day. She spent the day lying down and I played computer games all day.

Do not blame you for making that decision with a pregnant wife. It was a long hot day!

Not sure about days gone past but the Monday prior my parents always pick up their camper van and begin packing it for the short-ish journey down from Wiltshire the day after.  

A few texts shared this morning wishing that was the case today! 

Meanwhile I’d be getting the rucksacks and stuff out the shed for Mrs GlastoEls and I, and nipping to the garage for petrol for the journey from London to Worthy View car park!

On this day 2019 (the Monday of Glastonbury week, not the actual date)

Missed out on tickets in the main sale, then missed out on the resale as well. Absolutely gutting few months in the build up, for the first time since I started going in 2008 I would be missing my favourite place on earth.

Tried every competition going with no success.

About 4 weeks before the festival managed to get volunteering slots with Oxfam for me and the Mrs.

Here we are on the hill Monday night before the gates open, was absolutely magical being there those couple of days before, especially as a few weeks before this I was resigned to watching it on TV.

1624267738306.thumb.jpg.b3c3c429b3eca5bb85b9d26772d9c960.jpg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 5

2017... On the coach with my glasto-newbie. Probs somewhere near Bristol by now, which is when we start to secretly crack open the cans. Super empty coach so we're having a nice chat to the guys Infront and getting more and more excited!!!! 

When we arrived, it was baking. We were super grateful for camping near Pylon so minimal trek. Stuck the tent up, an intolerably sweaty experience, and had another cider. I then led my friend around exploring. Was determined to find the location of the stone dragon and Underground Piano Bar whilst under construction (which I did....with the standard "it's not opening this year as they're too late building it"). Given the ludicrous heat, my friend ended up having a snooze under a tree. And then we headed back to the tent to meet some incoming pals and drink mojito. Wonderful stuff. 

Edited by Sasperella

On this day... every year.

Worthy FM would be about to go live.

I'd be at work physically but not mentally.

The weather thread would be getting a pounding & we'd all be questioning whether we'd need to take wellies if for nothing more than a sacrifice to the weather gods.

The whatsapp group would be buzzing. We always meet for a breakfast at a cafe local to the site so would be firming up what time we were all leaving to meet there.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Tartan_Glasto said:

I really miss the days leading up to the festival as much as the festival itself. All the wee routines, last min packing etc you have getting ready to go.

Me too. Missing so much getting the van sorted for an early start tomorrow and hoping the A303 is not busy. Feeling sad this morning. Xxx

• Upvote 2

I would be last min packing, working out journey times for tomoz as I got down on the Tuesday to meet friends and stay with them on the Tuesday, ready to set off to site at 5am weds morning!

😞 i havent been since 2017, fingers crossed for 2021!! 

2 hours ago, Tartan_Glasto said:

I really miss the days leading up to the festival as much as the festival itself. All the wee routines, last min packing etc you have getting ready to go.

Country File is always huge for our group. Sometimes we meet up for a beer to watch it together.

Just checked Facebook and apparently exactly six years ago me and the wife were watching Blur in Hyde Park. I got us £2.50 tickets each after a tip-off on this very forum. Saw the Strokes earlier in the week for the same price. Got right near the front for Blur too.Blur.PNG.b4bb2d6c708698e48e9db27e673af385.PNG

21/06/17 -  I woke up this morning fully packed but completely ticketless.  I hadn't been able to get into any volunteering gigs, no secret sales and the very obvious scam workers ticket I paid £40 turned out to be a very obvious scam.  But yet, I still had hope.

At 11am I got a phone call off one of the volunteering organisations I had signed up for, they had some drop outs so would I be willing to pay my deposit and make my way down to the site? Abso-bloody-lutely.  

A quick phone call to explain to Mrs Kinky that I won't be home when she gets back from work and a nauseatingly expensive train ticket later, I was finally on my way to Glastonbury '17.

It was the most stressful build up I've had. Aside from an unshakeable belief that I'd find a way there, at no point did it look like I was going to Glastonbury so by all account, I was quite unbearable to be around.

All worth it though, it was probably the best Glastonbury I've had, maybe even because of the madness I had to go through to get there!

• Upvote 7