Has anyone had a Glastonbury Style Wedding?

Starscreenbass

Looking for a bit of advice. I’m getting married next year and my wife to be has agreed to us having a Glastonbury style wedding. She’s never been as she’s a teacher (hopefully that will change next year if by some miracle I get her a ticket) but loves the idea.

I know this isn’t a new idea and I’m sure a few of you will have done it already so I’m looking for ideas on a budget.

ps did contact Mik Artistik and he is available but having trouble convincing the other half to spend that much of the budget of someone she’s not really heard of......if she only knew he is worth every penny 😉

anyway, any other suggestions or ideas please throw my way.

cheers

The best advice that I can give is to give you a link to etsy (see below). I certainly wouldn't pay those prices for some of the items. However, I would 're-create' them at a fraction of the cost, if it were my Glastonbury wedding.

https://www.etsy.com/uk/search?q=glastonbury wedding

Incidentally, I actually did get married very near the festival itself, at a venue in East Pilton.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Starscreenbass said:

Looking for a bit of advice. I’m getting married next year and my wife to be has agreed to us having a Glastonbury style wedding. She’s never been as she’s a teacher (hopefully that will change next year if by some miracle I get her a ticket) but loves the idea.

I know this isn’t a new idea and I’m sure a few of you will have done it already so I’m looking for ideas on a budget.

ps did contact Mik Artistik and he is available but having trouble convincing the other half to spend that much of the budget of someone she’s not really heard of......if she only knew he is worth every penny 😉

anyway, any other suggestions or ideas please throw my way.

cheers

I know hobo Jones can be hired … and he comes with some dogs from the junkyard …. An x friend hired him a few years back…  I’d think it important she has gone though to make it of some relevance to her day … you could have guest lists in the style of bands and table plans done by areas of the festival … or even catering done by one of the festival caterers …. Bins decorated … festival style writing … check out some of the stuff that was done for glasthomebury and adapt it to fit a wedding 

• Upvote 1

Would also reccomend New York Brass Band... always seem to see them a couple of times at glastonbury and been to one wedding where they played and they know how to get a party going. Have no idea how expensive they are though as there's alot of the fuckers.

• Upvote 1

On 5/19/2021 at 3:12 PM, Starscreenbass said:

Looking for a bit of advice. I’m getting married next year and my wife to be has agreed to us having a Glastonbury style wedding. She’s never been as she’s a teacher

she's a keeper for sure 🙂

I have no advice sadly. We were going to do our wedding in a field over a weekend but the cost and logistics put me off. Think the old people and portaloos put the nail in the coffin

What I did want to say though is congratulations 

• Upvote 1

We had the Old Dirty Brasstards at our wedding.  It was one of the conditions of Mrs Elk agreeing to marry me after many years together.  I'm pretty sure they are cheaper than Mik (from memory, someone told me how much he was once as they looked to have him at their wedding) but they're still not that cheap.  We saved loads of money elsewhere, and got the venue dirt cheap, so music was the important thing for us, and I did the music when the band weren't playing.

We also got wedding wristbands made up with the proper metal fasteners and a handheld crimper.  If you shop around, you can get those pretty cheap if you've got quite a few people going.

• Upvote 1

53 minutes ago, Homer said:

Just do what @Superscallydid and book yourself to play at your own wedding.

We are both actually in bands (2 different ones) but I’ve banned any of our bands from playing, even though it’d be the cheapest option 🙂

1 hour ago, Greenelk said:

We had the Old Dirty Brasstards at our wedding.  It was one of the conditions of Mrs Elk agreeing to marry me after many years together.  I'm pretty sure they are cheaper than Mik

Mik wasn’t a bad price at all really, just over our budget. Will check the old dirty brasstards cheers

• Upvote 1

On the understanding that Glastonbury isn't all about the music you could get a private magician to perform at the reception. And as there will be people who get pick pocketed at Glastonbury then why not combine a magician with a professional stage pick pocket performer eg

http://www.rob-james.com/

I wanted a professional pick pocket at my wedding instead of a band. In the end we had neither as my wife would only marry me if there was free drink for all our guests on the day (and night!), so that blew most of the money. However, we did make a song list, recorded it, and played it through the venue's own sound system. Maybe you could do the same, which would allow you to spend more in other areas. Just a thought.

• Upvote 1

You could do small things like have each of the tables (if there's a meal) named after a stage. Maybe get some Cider Bus cider in. Do your menu/invitations in the form of a line-up poster. Have wristbands made up and give out with the invitations. 

I think the key to this type of thing is to pick a few things to do Glastonbury style before it becomes too much of a themed wedding and starts to cross into tack territory. 

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

We had our wedding more general festival themed rather than Glastonbury specific.

I don't know how budget friendly they would all be but some bits that went down particularly well with guests at ours included welly boot shaped vases on the tables (we didn't pay £16 each but this sort of thing https://www.notonthehighstreet.com/dibor/product/summerbridge-wellington-boot-planter-collection), invites were paper ticket shaped, the order of service was loosely based on a festival programme and the name place cards were a mix CD of various bands we'd seen at festivals over the years (it was a 2 CD set so we weren't needlessly giving away the same disc twice to every couple and those who were flying solo just had two discs in their case so they didn't miss out). The seating plan was in the form of a line-up poster too. We named our tables after festivals we'd been to but stage names would work just as well and we had some custom wrist bands made.

It probably helped that I'm quite comfortable using Photoshop and have some graphic designer friends who were happy to chip in so I was able to do the artwork for everything myself to help keep the cost down.

• 2 years later...