Primavera Sound 2022

daveje

I always suspected both would sell out relatively fast.

Even though it's likely a bunch of 2022 festivals will actually share similar bills to this, they've understood that being first out of the gate is really important – they've done it a couple of times now, and it results in a lot more hype than if they'd have announced it at a time when other EU events are doing so. Combined with people's appetite for events (this being in a 'safe zone' of it 99.9% happening, compared to festivals this year), wanting to travel, etc – it's a perfect storm really.

It's also going to result in a lot of first-timers, international visitors (a lot from the US, from what I've seen on socials), so it'll be an interesting festival from the perspective of people who've been pre-covid.

21 minutes ago, Quadrophobia said:

I still feel like people are paying WAY too much attention to that Porto poster. Certainly not ruled out that there will be another big name, but this "oh there is a gap on the poster" thing still doesnt make any sense. We had a band added where there was the least space for a new name on the poster. 

I completely agree with you in respect to the Barcelona lineup, it looks stacked anyway and Phoenix being added to the top line on the last day makes no sense.

It's just that the Porto poster looks so strange with only one on the last day, they could have just bumped up any of the names below.

7 minutes ago, Quadrophobia said:

I still don't see any substance in any of those rumours. Neither NIN, nor Portishead or MBV have any indication whatsoever that they're touring in Europe in June 2022. Bad Bunny at least is in Europe in June 😄

I still feel like people are paying WAY too much attention to that Porto poster. Certainly not ruled out that there will be another big name, but this "oh there is a gap on the poster" thing still doesnt make any sense. We had a band added where there was the least space for a new name on the poster. 

I still think there will be another big name added to the Porto lineup, or at least a smaller headliner like Phoenix, however I do agree it's extremely unlikely we will get something like MBV/NIN/Portishead in 2022... I find it amusing how people are still hoping for them to be added just because Gabi mentioned them once in a radio interview in 2019 lol.

Also, considering that the festival is almost sold out, it just wouldn't be a smart move to add huge names like that now, some people on social media were already upset yesterday because "it's unfair to announce a headliner like Phoenix after making people choose the weekend". I can't imagine what would happen if they confirmed MBV/Portishead ...

1 minute ago, kitkat129 said:

I still think there will be another big name added to the Porto lineup, or at least a smaller headliner like Phoenix, however I do agree it's extremely unlikely we will get something like MBV/NIN/Portishead in 2022... I find it amusing how people are still hoping for them to be added just because Gabi mentioned them once in a radio interview in 2019 lol.

Also, considering that the festival is almost sold out, it just wouldn't be a smart move to add huge names like that now, some people on social media were already upset yesterday because "it's unfair to announce a headliner like Phoenix after making people choose the weekend". I can't imagine what would happen if they confirmed MBV/Portishead ...

probably nothing outside of this thread 😄 

Edited by Quadrophobia

1 minute ago, kitkat129 said:

Solution: add them on both weekends. 😋

• Upvote 2

51 minutes ago, livenstu said:

After the shambles that is the Upgrade process, I really hope Primavera are holding back tickets for ALL 2020 ticket holders before releasing more.

Did anyone else on here buy multiple PRE - EARLY BIRD 2020 tickets using your 2019 ticket code via RedTkt & then correctly remember it was individual transactions so when the link was received on the 25th May for the Upgrade option you repeated the application process more than once?

I wrote them again today about being anxious that Weekend 2 is almost sold out and I still don't know my status regarding Weekend 2 upgrade. And this is what they've just sent me:

For operational reasons we will send you the missing link, when the entire returns process is finished.

• Like 1

Primavera brought to the stage a special show on a new stage for Arcade Fire, also Mogwai and Haim.

The festival was sold out at the time so there was no commercial imperative.

It's really not beyond realms of possibility they could add a big name, especially if that act has their tour under embargo.

23 minutes ago, jannybruck said:

I always suspected both would sell out relatively fast.

Even though it's likely a bunch of 2022 festivals will actually share similar bills to this, they've understood that being first out of the gate is really important – they've done it a couple of times now, and it results in a lot more hype than if they'd have announced it at a time when other EU events are doing so. Combined with people's appetite for events (this being in a 'safe zone' of it 99.9% happening, compared to festivals this year), wanting to travel, etc – it's a perfect storm really.

It's also going to result in a lot of first-timers, international visitors (a lot from the US, from what I've seen on socials), so it'll be an interesting festival from the perspective of people who've been pre-covid.

This all makes sense. Speaking as a first-timer, I've wanted to go for years but have never taken the plunge before. A combination of being pretty desperate to have a festival locked in, wanting to travel and having excess cash from saving this past year gave me the push. 

Just now, unodosseb said:

For the TBA late night acts over the two weekends, do you think The Avalanches would be a possibility? I’ve wanted to see them for ages but I’m not sure how big they are in Europe 

Yeah definitely.

There are also rumours of Nicolaas Jaar/Darkside.

• Like 2

Just now, xxialac said:

Primavera brought to the stage a special show on a new stage for Arcade Fire, also Mogwai and Haim.

It's really not beyond realms of possibility they could add a big name, especially if that act has their tour under embargo.

Yeah its possible but such things usually get agreed at contracting. But they just might have not forseen how good the sales would go

1 minute ago, unodosseb said:

For the TBA late night acts over the two weekends, do you think The Avalanches would be a possibility? I’ve wanted to see them for ages but I’m not sure how big they are in Europe 

Honestly, not very big, but that wouldn't stop Primavera from booking them. The reuinon show in 2016 was pretty crowded (but shit, because they only played a DJ set impromptu, smth with their gear being stuck in customs) but the solo concert I went to didn't even have 800 people. The new album might have amended that though.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, jannybruck said:

In terms of TBC electronic stuff, Forest Swords has also commented on a couple of their Insta posts recently, is due a new record this/next year, and he's not on the Sonar lineup either. I'd be more than happy for him to do a night time set somewhere.

I mean, could be of course, but it has become a pretty common social media strategy to just comment on well performing posts from festivals and other acts.

2 minutes ago, xxialac said:

Not sure if Arcade FIre is a good example, they were already a headliner, they just played an extra secret show, but it's not like they appeared out of nowhere. Mogwai and Haim are fairly popular bands but not headliner-level, I could imagine similar acts playing a secret show or something in 2022, but expecting MBV to show up like that sounds a bit unrealistic to me...

I mean, it's Primavera and there's a first time for everything, but still, I would like to remain realistic, the lineup is already stacked and similar additions would make the clashes even more difficult

1 minute ago, Quadrophobia said:

I mean, could be of course, but it has become a pretty common social media strategy to just comment on well performing posts from festivals and other acts.

I'd normally agree but as a fan of his it's not really his vibe to be active on social media at all, which is why it stood out to me. So I'd say there's at least some existing relationship there, and hopefully an appearance.

I'm not having a go at anyone here, but I find it fascinating that people are always so obsessed with 'more'.  You see it with festival line-ups all the time, you often see it with artists when they've released something (best example is when Radiohead released King of Limbs, and all the theories around a 'part 2' album).

Why do we do it?  I know it's fun to talk about the unknown, but would people be seriously disappointed if this was the full line-up now and no one else was added? (or at least nothing above the bottom rung).

2 minutes ago, kitkat129 said:

Not sure if Arcade FIre is a good example, they were already a headliner, they just played an extra secret show, but it's not like they appeared out of nowhere.

True but they had to build a brand new stage and provide security just for this one show. I think that shows they're willing to push the envelope.

Just now, adforperu said:

I'm not having a go at anyone here, but I find it fascinating that people are always so obsessed with 'more'.  You see it with festival line-ups all the time, you often see it with artists when they've released something (best example is when Radiohead released King of Limbs, and all the theories around a 'part 2' album).

Why do we do it?  I know it's fun to talk about the unknown, but would people be seriously disappointed if this was the full line-up now and no one else was added? (or at least nothing above the bottom rung).

The poster literally says AND MORE TO COME! in big font

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, adforperu said:

1 minute ago, xxialac said:

The poster literally says AND MORE TO COME! in big font

Yep, they’re telling us there’s more to come and have literally just announced a new headliner yesterday. Think it’s pretty reasonable that people are speculating on what else is coming.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, adforperu said:

I think in this instance it's mainly because the 2022 lineup wasn't a huge surprise to a lot of people who'd already rolled over tickets from the cancelled year/s – there are some great additions, but Primavera fans shat the bed when Gabi mentioned Portishead and NIN in passing well over a year ago now, and it's come up almost weekly ever since. So it's part denial, part disappointment, part having fun with speculating.

I'm also surprised St Vincent wasn't on this, but I think Mad Cool might have poached her this time.

Haha yeah it's a fair point, but it's also a year away (cry), I'm just happy to keep looking at the existing names!

But yeah, i think announcing Phoenix so close to the initial announcement blindsided everyone and shows we might get more news soon.

FINE I'M BACK ON THE HYPE TRAIN

Just now, Quadrophobia said:

There is also still another three months of Summer where acts might tour Europe in 2022. 

I do wonder how different the lineup would be if the festival had waited until, say, September to lock in the bill and announce.

Mainly for undercard acts – post-pandemic – so much in terms of potential album campaigns and touring for 2022 will have been up in the air (and probably still is). Committing to a single festival in Barcelona when you don't know if you'll have anything around it or know what your plans are yet, is quite a big ask so far in advance.