Primavera Sound 2022

daveje

1 minute ago, Radiochicken said:

Have they even said they are going to replace MA? Of course I want them to, but it’s not like they have tickets to sell… I mean they haven’t replaced Brockhampton…

No, and they may not, but not replacing the top billing for one of the days with SOMETHING in 9 weeks would be a pretty piss-poor show from the organisers. Sets a very bad precedent for future festivals 

3 minutes ago, BenG92 said:

Miley Cyrus was announced as Cardi B's replacement a few weeks before the 2019 festival and Cardi was top billing - whatever we might think of the act quality, Miley is still a known name and they got a replacement in in time 

Yeah I’m no expert on old Prima lineups but have they ever not replaced a headliner? Even when Frank left them hanging until the latest possibly moment they got Jamie xx to do a set in his place, so with 9 weeks left I can’t see them just shuffling things and acting like there isn’t a headliner missing. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, BenG92 said:

Miley Cyrus was announced as Cardi B's replacement a few weeks before the 2019 festival and Cardi was top billing - whatever we might think of the act quality, Miley is still a known name and they got a replacement in in time 

I can't see why they wouldn't. They aren't under any obligation to but they've always done it in the past, and the festival days Massive Attack were playing weren't really bursting with large names in the first place compared to some of the others.

41 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Yeah I’m no expert on old Prima lineups but have they ever not replaced a headliner? Even when Frank left them hanging until the latest possibly moment they got Jamie xx to do a set in his place, so with 9 weeks left I can’t see them just shuffling things and acting like there isn’t a headliner missing. 

I don't think Bjork was replaced in 2012, but she cancelled with about a month to go.  They offered day ticket refunds.  Doubt they would do that now.

40 minutes ago, Radiochicken said:

As others have said, Arcade Fire rumoured to be Europe in May, history with the festival etc. That’s my bet.

Given it's sold out I don't think there's much value for the festival in putting in a band like this on that could easily headline and sell considerable tickets for them next year, really. I'm expecting someone a notch down from that.

Yeah Arcade Fire are one of the festivals ‘premiere’ headliners whenever they play so I doubt they’re gonna waste them as a replacement in an already sold out year. I expect whoever they get will be on the smaller side when it comes to headliners, although what with there being such varying sizes I couldn’t fathom a guess on who. 

Definitely a hard game to play when Massive Attack are so unique, no real like-for-like replacements, and so many bands that might make sense are busy. 

Deftones for example are free, a good replacement size, and on tour in the EU at the time, but don't fit in Prima 22 at all. 

5 hours ago, xxialac said:

I like Spiritualized and Soulwax but neither should be at the top of the poster.

They’re directly equivalent to Beach House, DJ Shadow, Caribou etc. as second tier names.

Whereas Grace Jones has been a headliner and could be again.

Grace jones would also have some sort of crossover appeal plus she’s a woman. A bit like erykah badu in 2019.

still dreaming for NIN tough. That would be just perfect in terms of crossover and a real power move from the festival. But only coachella and maybe glastonbury would be able to afford that kind of operation, unfortunately. But really, is that 100% not possible? we aren’t talking about out of the league acts like frank ocean Kanye or Beyoncé…

6 hours ago, Whos3000_ said:

still dreaming for NIN tough. That would be just perfect in terms of crossover and a real power move from the festival. But only coachella and maybe glastonbury would be able to afford that kind of operation, unfortunately. But really, is that 100% not possible? we aren’t talking about out of the league acts like frank ocean Kanye or Beyoncé…

NIN are almost certainly already booked for the 2023 festival so it’s incredibly unlikely that the organisers would use them as a last minute replacement for this year, much like Arcade Fire. 

Considering there are already 15 ‘headliners’ over the two weekends, you’d have to imagine whoever they get to replace Massive Attack either wasn’t available/active at the time of Primavera’s lineup release or wasn’t considered worthy of booking in the first place or they would’ve been on the original lineup, so outside of some fortunate circumstances, I really wouldn’t be expecting anybody too spectacular, unless the festival is feeling generous and has some money to throw around.

8 minutes ago, Quadrophobia said:

Another option I could imagine would be Four Tet. Not really a big enough act but probably would resonate well with MA-Fans and free on both dates if Bilbao BBK hasn't put a radius Clause on PS

Four Tet played at Ray-Ban at 2am or so in 2018 and it was packed. He could perfectly close Mordor as Jamie did when he replaced Frank.

7 minutes ago, jannybruck said:

Would be a great replacement but they're doing Mallorca Live and Benicassim later in the month in Spain, would be surprised if they doubled up to do this sadly.

Quite true.

The Avalanches are free, maybe too small. This is difficult 😅