news & politics:discussion

zahidf

1 hour ago, Punksnotdead said:

She says we should be talking about hare coursing, instead of parties and fraud. "That's what is affecting my constituents and those in rural areas". So, is hare coursing affecting you crazyfool?

She also said "no-one on the doorstep is talking about partygate". Hmm, why don't I believe her?

The hares aren't too happy about it

2 hours ago, Barry Fish said:

I know its meant to not be Covid news in here but its undeniable this is being fast tracked to help save Big Dog 🙂 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-60319947

Covid isolation to be scrapped...

Operation save Big Dog rumbles on 🙂 

King Boris - long live the king 😄 

At times I've been frustrated that Scotland has been more conservative than England with laws, was an absolute bugger reading on here about everyone enjoying gigs when we couldn't have any.

But cannot see why you'd want to get rid of people with Covid having to isolate. Just seems a ridiculous relaxation of the rules with no real benefit. 

12 minutes ago, found home in 2009 said:

At times I've been frustrated that Scotland has been more conservative than England with laws, was an absolute bugger reading on here about everyone enjoying gigs when we couldn't have any.

But cannot see why you'd want to get rid of people with Covid having to isolate. Just seems a ridiculous relaxation of the rules with no real benefit. 

It all helps us continue with our go to work when not well  poilicy that we’ve always had in the U.K. .. if the person that has it is asymptomatic they will just give it to someone else who consequently is I’ll from it .. great if you are fit and well but not so great if you are someone imunocompromised who has to work to pay the ever rising bills . We should be supporting people to stay off work when I’ll rather than the opposite .. it means my workplace will return to not paying the first 2 days of sickness and force those who are already poorly paid back 

31 minutes ago, found home in 2009 said:

Should we keep that requirement for ever? When is a good time to do it?

At some point people who have no symptoms or a wee sniffle are going to have to crack on as normal, might as well be now 

5 minutes ago, fraybentos1 said:

Is it possible to not get infected by covid at some point? Highly doubt it 

So far I and all my friends have avoided it through the  stupidly high infection levels … maybe I’ve we’ve all been very lucky … maybe I’ll get a later version , who knows but govt policy isn’t designed to help us / me in any way 

3 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

How do you know you have not had it ? 

You could have had it asymptomatically ?  You might have had it around March or earlier when we wasn't actively testing looking for it ? 

You are making huge presumptions there.

Presumption based on the fact as a type 1 diabetic there is much less chance of me being asymptomatic… and yes there is a low chance I’ve actually had it yes but the likelihood is I haven’t given my risk level . Being I’ll for me also means massively increased blood sugars … 

Edited by crazyfool1

6 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

So far I and all my friends have avoided it through the  stupidly high infection levels … maybe I’ve we’ve all been very lucky … maybe I’ll get a later version , who knows but govt policy isn’t designed to help us / me in any way 

Gov policy means you have 3 vaccines in you right now, beyond that I don’t know what can be expected to go on forever. 

Also you might have avoided it thus far but everyone is gonna catch it 

27 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

It all helps us continue with our go to work when not well  poilicy that we’ve always had in the U.K. .. if the person that has it is asymptomatic they will just give it to someone else who consequently is I’ll from it .. great if you are fit and well but not so great if you are someone imunocompromised who has to work to pay the ever rising bills . We should be supporting people to stay off work when I’ll rather than the opposite .. it means my workplace will return to not paying the first 2 days of sickness and force those who are already poorly paid back 

Leaving aside the Covid aspect (that's for a far darker thread) this is why we need statutory sick pay which is actually fit for purpose, rather than the pittance paid out at the moment.

While we're at it, let's have universal basic income and raise the standard of living across the board. 

Right wing neo-liberals understand the concept of investment, speculate to accumulate etc, when it comes to enrichment of themselves, but not when it comes to investing in society. They see it as of no direct benefit to themselves, as they can afford to remain above the riff raff, but actually universally improved standards of living makes everything more pleasant for all.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, blutarsky said:

Leaving aside the Covid aspect (that's for a far darker thread) this is why we need statutory sick pay which is actually fit for purpose, rather than the pittance paid out at the moment.

While we're at it, let's have universal basic income and raise the standard of living across the board. 

Right wing neo-liberals understand the concept of investment, speculate to accumulate etc, when it comes to enrichment of themselves, but not when it comes to investing in society. They see it as of no direct benefit to themselves, as they can afford to remain above the riff raff, but actually universally improved standards of living makes everything more pleasant for all.

Yes let’s leave the Covid stuff to the other thread, let’s get this thread back on topic. 

Edited by Ozanne

3 minutes ago, blutarsky said:

Just heard my pay rise is to go up to £9.66 per hour … I wonder how many on this thread could live on that ? With the cost of living crisis plus the illness policy’s .. I’ve been lucky in terms of help from parents but I pity those that haven’t 

3 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

You know i am going to say it - I don't believe you...

Give the infection rates we have seen the idea you and all you friends have not had is for the birds to be frank.  Everyone at least knows someone.  Fucking hell I sadly know 5 people who have died let alone infected.

I know plenty of people that have had it .. the closest person that I know that’s died from it is the partner of someone I work with .. just 2 weeks ago 3 of my mates kids had it and didn’t pass it to any of their parents … I’ve been very lucky and so have my friends where that’s been concerned … I’m not some covid denier and no reason to make things up ffs 

1 minute ago, fred quimby said:

Sadly people will  believe it as well. Some because it fits their own narrative 

Indeed, this government seem much happier just lying their way through everything, our system isn't set-up to deal with such blatant abuse of powers.