Veganuary

Chrisp1986

This is pretty good, has a high fat content so your toast won’t go soggy.

https://www.waitrose.com/ecom/products/naturli'-vegan-spreadable/791342-724322-724323

Still to find a decent cheese, the Applewood ones are nice though.

Vego chocolate is amazing, hard to believe there’s no dairy in it, their chocolate spread is also delicious.

Charm x

Edited by Charm
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, Chawk said:

i bought the Minor Figures oat milk recently. Definitely the best I've tried. It was the Barista one too, so I guess the 'Semi' one is even better.

You can also subscribe on their website to have it delivered regularly for a decent discount.

https://minorfigures.com/products/oat-milk-barista

I like this too, ridiculous packaging though, what’s connection between oat milk and a person in a duck costume, very silly.  
Charm x

Got a question for which there is  no right or wrong answer, just curious on opinion.

Picked up dinner from my local Indian restaurant, which is always cracking btw. After getting home and faffing about, I found they'd given me the non veg starter platter, so I've got kebabs and tikka chicken instead of samosas and bhajis. First time they've given me a wrong order, and can't be arsed to go and argue the toss for a couple of bits.

So having taken delivery of meat that's already been cooked, would you eat it?

Part of me is thinking yes, as I hate waste more than anything, but equally I dont want to eat it on the principle. Not being what I'd call an evangelical type, I know I'd probably enjoy it.

I'm just curious on other's thinking. At the moment it's sat in its tub in the kitchen, but after a few beers that may change!

43 minutes ago, Quark said:

Got a question for which there is  no right or wrong answer, just curious on opinion.

Picked up dinner from my local Indian restaurant, which is always cracking btw. After getting home and faffing about, I found they'd given me the non veg starter platter, so I've got kebabs and tikka chicken instead of samosas and bhajis. First time they've given me a wrong order, and can't be arsed to go and argue the toss for a couple of bits.

Part of me is thinking yes, as I hate waste more than anything, but equally I dont want to eat it on the principle. Not being what I'd call an evangelical type, I know I'd probably enjoy it.

I'm just curious on other's thinking. At the moment it's sat in its tub in the kitchen, but after a few beers that may change!

If you’re 100% vegan then don’t eat it, if you’re ‘mostly’ vegan, munch away.

How much better is almond milk than dairy milk for the environment?

I’m not vegan but I mostly drink almond milk as my wife can’t have dairy so it saves getting two different types of milk.

Reason I ask is that I tend to use more almond milk than dairy milk. I usually use about double the amount of almond milk than when I had dairy so,with that in mind, would it still be better for the environment?

1 hour ago, rivalschools.price said:

How much better is almond milk than dairy milk for the environment?

I’m not vegan but I mostly drink almond milk as my wife can’t have dairy so it saves getting two different types of milk.

Reason I ask is that I tend to use more almond milk than dairy milk. I usually use about double the amount of almond milk than when I had dairy so,with that in mind, would it still be better for the environment?

Looks like almond is better than dairy, but uses quite a bit of water.

Screenshot_20210129-234324.thumb.png.983bd1f1b232e67db64ea5f8a0ff2e56.png

3 hours ago, Quark said:

if you'd enjoy it and are confident it won't cause a stomach problem, then I think go ahead. It doesn't make any difference to the grand scheme of things. I might not just on taste, I'd probably nibble a bit and see what I thought. 

11 hours ago, Quark said:

I just couldn’t eat it and would definitely complain, I haven’t had meat for over 20yrs though so makes me feel a bit ill to think of eating it.  Took delivery of pepperoni pizza by mistake recently and complained, was refunded for the whole order. 
So, how did it go, bin or tummy ?

Charm x

12 hours ago, Quark said:

This is a really good question and something I’ve considered myself. On one hand, to put it bluntly, the animal is already dead so in a way it’s probably worse not to eat it. That said once I decided to go veggie/vegan I couldn’t physically at meat, it was just a switch that flicked and I never wanted to eat meat again irrespective of the circumstances.

If that situation arises I either feed it to my dogs (if it’s safe to them) or would leave it out for foxes. 

Update: I didn't eat it. More than anything else I just realised I didn't want it! Even when I was eating meat it's not something I would have ordered through choice.

Was interesting to hear views on it though.

@Charm I think another time I might have gone back.  I was just buying a couple of bits to go with frozen leftovers from a previous order, so by the time all that had gone through the microwave and I was ready to eat and I discovered the order I just couldn't be arsed! Also for a simple one off mistake and in current climate I think I would have felt worse chasing them for a £5 refund than about getting the wrong order 😄

Edited by Quark

2 hours ago, Quark said:

Update: I didn't eat it. More than anything else I just realised I didn't want it! Even when I was eating meat it's not something I would have ordered through choice.

Was interesting to hear views on it though.

@Charm I think another time I might have gone back.  I was just buying a couple of bits to go with frozen leftovers from a previous order, so by the time all that had gone through the microwave and I was ready to eat and I discovered the order I just couldn't be arsed! Also for a simple one off mistake and in current climate I think I would have felt worse chasing them for a £5 refund than about getting the wrong order 😄

Could be worth letting them know anyway. If they care, then they'll want to know. In this case it was obvious what it was, but in other situations it might not be, and if it was something which might cause an allergic reaction that was missed or sent by mistake it could be very serious.  Like you say, probably a one off mistake, but it might not be and letting them know might point out a problem they have and help fix it

I wouldn't have been able to eat it but I have been veggie for 30 years but luckily my husband and dogs would be able to make use of it. I would tell them because I have a friend who is veggie who would just never go back there. I'd rather give people a chance to be aware of the impact of a mistake. I once had it when I ordered a halloumi burger, they put a meat burger on it. I told them they offered a free burger which I never claimed but they changed the name on the menu of the burger so it wouldn't happen again. 

2 hours ago, philipsteak said:

Could be worth letting them know anyway. If they care, then they'll want to know. In this case it was obvious what it was, but in other situations it might not be, and if it was something which might cause an allergic reaction that was missed or sent by mistake it could be very serious.  Like you say, probably a one off mistake, but it might not be and letting them know might point out a problem they have and help fix it

Yeah, best to let them know.

You've been pragmatic about it but some strict vegans would naturally be very upset if it had happened to them.

On 1/25/2021 at 10:08 PM, Quark said:

OK, next hive mind question!

Now I've got my milk situation sorted with oat milk (which I've also discovered is nice just on its own), the next one is butter.

So many spreads out there, is there any consensus on the best ones?  I feel like I've tried loads of sunflower / olive oil spreads, but they always just feel a bit like they're a yellow bread lubricant than actually providing a decent taste. Something that goes well on toast with marmalade, or just on its own on a cinnamon bagel.

Accept I might be hoping for too much here and the answer's probably going to be something obvious like Flora, but as always all thoughts are welcome!

Bit late to this, but the answer is 100 per cent Naturli butter. It's a bit expensive compared to some of the sunflower spreads, but it actually tastes good. It won a few awards when it came out three years ago as the best vegan product on the market, which considering how saturated the market was (and still is), is quite the achievement. My endorsement of this product has nothing to do with being plied with champagne and burgers by Naturli when they launched in the UK.

8 hours ago, Bryanrebe said:

Ok similar advise needed. Planning on making vegan ramen but there's no mock meat stock to be had. Should I use the chicken stock I have stored so it doesn't go to waste? 🤔

I realise this might not be much help in the short term but for the next time, I make my own stock. Save up all your veg ends and cast offs in a plastic bag in the freezer. Once it's full, boil it in some water for about 45 minutes - 1 hour, strain it out and then boom; flavourful non-meaty stock. 

For ramen I use that with miso paste, tahini, soy sauce, garlic and ginger and it tastes great. 

• Upvote 1