2022 Headliners

Chrisp1986

3 minutes ago, Leyrulion said:

Lens del Rey is quite a good example of one of the problems they face. In 2020 she would probably have had a fairly big billing but she's faced a fair amount of criticism back in the first half of last year. If the festival was in a normal cycle she might not get as big a billing as people would think.

She was down to sub in 2020.

2 minutes ago, Leyrulion said:

Lens del Rey is quite a good example of one of the problems they face. In 2020 she would probably have had a fairly big billing but she's faced a fair amount of criticism back in the first half of last year. If the festival was in a normal cycle she might not get as big a billing as people would think.

There's no way they're chucking her down the lineup because of some social media criticism. A lot of acts (and festivals) get stick on social media and for far more legitimate reasons than levelled at Lana.

The other subheadliner in 2020 is fronted by an anti-masker but they're not gonna chuck them down the lineup either.

Just now, Leyrulion said:

That's true, think about how much music changed from 2016 to 2019. Take a look at the 2016 line up and a huge chunk of those would have been or actually were higher up come 2019 .

I wouldn't say there are many acts who would be considerably higher than they would've been in 2020. There hasn't been much opportunity to break through or climb bills when no live music is on. It's just about who is actually touring and releasing new music.

11 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Doubt it

Why not? Sounds pretty realistic to me, given the clues we had about the 2021 headliners at the time and the height The 1975 seemed to be at in early 2020 after their most acclaimed album + popular headline set at R&L + promise of a new album coming in 2020.

16 minutes ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

Didn’t they actually say they were booked and hoped to be rebooked?

B8C2994A-A99A-470F-9A6F-015592367420.thumb.jpeg.1b971e625a585c0b73ef01d186862169.jpeg

and this wee hint for the pyramid? 

I remember the official Glastonbury reveal that they were booked to play a secret set, but don’t remember us getting any other info on it, but maybe I just missed it.

If they posted that picture then that’s surely gotta more or less seal the deal.

2 hours ago, SomeoneListeningIn said:

Why not? Sounds pretty realistic to me, given the clues we had about the 2021 headliners at the time and the height The 1975 seemed to be at in early 2020 after their most acclaimed album + popular headline set at R&L + promise of a new album coming in 2020.

I have a feeling that they had a completely different set of headliners in mind for 2021. I just doubt 1975 was one of them. 

I get this hunch the ‘band’ they had in mind for 2021 was Muse. But that’s another topic lol.

7 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

I have a feeling that they had a completely different set of headliners in mind for 2021. I just doubt 1975 was one of them. 

I get this hunch the ‘band’ they had in mind for 2021 was Muse. But that’s another topic lol.

Just can't see why they'd be turning their noses up at the idea of The 1975 headlining yet giving Muse the call again. Bear in mind these headliners were booked a year and a half before the festival.

11 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Really don't see why theyd pick Muse over 1975. Even if 1975 arent MASSIVE, Emily has kinda shown that she doesnt mind giving the boost to some acts. 1975 are pretty popular these days... their last album was a bit of a flop, but after another one - or even just a few more decent singles - they could probably do it.

Edited by Gilgamesh69

@Gilgamesh69

@SomeoneListeningIn

I don’t think it’s a case of them picking muse over the 1975. I don’t think they see 1975 as an act they want to give the leg up to the top. I also think that R&L giving them their first mega headline slot means that the Glasto bump up probably isn’t as sparkly. I see it as a Biffy Clyro situation (even though 1975 are far bigger).

Muse seem to be get booked every 5/6 years, and they had a few festivals lined up for June 2021 already.

My guess for 2021 (before COVID)

Muse

Fleetwood Mac - who loosely agreed to headline on their next tour

A popstar who agreed to headline on their next tour - Either Ariana or Gaga. No gut feeling who I think is more likely.

They could have even put a speculative bid down for Billie Eilish for 2021. It’s harder to predict when we don’t have a full map of who would have toured if they could.

You know me, I draw various things and inferences. But seeing Kendrick and Taylor were in the frame for 2020 quite early - I think for 2021 it was probably a similar situation. Mega acts agreeing to headline the next time they planned to tour. 

6 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

I also think that R&L giving them their first mega headline slot means that the Glasto bump up probably isn’t as sparkly.

Happens every so often tho. Kendrick, Kasabian, Arcade Fire etc. all headlined R&L first, didn't stop Glasto booking them as headliners a few years later.

They were a pretty in heat band, especially in late 2019/early 2020. They make a lot of sense considering two of the headliners had never headlined before. Even if your guesses of Muse and Fleetwood Mac (or some similar acts) was right, The 1975 could easily slot in as the third.

Also Muse headlining every 6 years isn't gonna go on forever, and I suspect it'll be a few years till they're booked to headline again, when they're seen as a more nostalgic act.

Edited by SomeoneListeningIn

I’ll be a bit disappointed if after saying they’re going to throw everything they’ve got at 2022, any of the following headline the Pyramid:

The 1975
Arctic Monkeys
Coldplay
Foals
Muse
Radiohead 

That’s right, Radiohead! Try and vote me down - you can’t!!! *maniacal laughter*

Edited by kalifire

1 hour ago, kalifire said:

I’ll be a bit disappointed if after saying they’re going to throw everything they’ve got at 2022, any of the following headline the Pyramid:

The 1975
Arctic Monkeys
Coldplay
Foals
Muse
Radiohead 

That’s right, Radiohead! Try and vote me down - you can’t!!! *maniacal laughter*

LhPT.gif