All Points East Festival 2021

Harry_W01

On 3/11/2021 at 1:22 PM, xxialac said:

Exhibit 2:

Field Day to Return to Victoria Park on Sunday 29th August 2021 - Festicket  Magazine

Field Day has been on a bit of a decline without a doubt over the past few years. They were bought out by Broadwick Live and now the festival founder has stepped away.

https://www.musicweek.com/live/read/it-feels-like-the-right-time-to-move-on-tom-baker-exits-field-day/077341

The last decent line up was the Aphex Twin headline year, also it seems the last year Tom Baker booked. They had one bizarre year down in Brockwell Park and have lost the subtlety and nuance of booking that they had before the Festival changed owners.

They've almost flat out stopped booking the alt rock/leftfield/psych/krautrock guitar acts and these fit perfectly with the electronic acts and became a big part of the appeal.

Shame really

Edited by Field Commander Jefferson

37 minutes ago, Field Commander Jefferson said:

Field Day has been on a bit of a decline without a doubt over the past few years. They were bought out by Broadwick Live and now the festival founder has stepped away.

https://www.musicweek.com/live/read/it-feels-like-the-right-time-to-move-on-tom-baker-exits-field-day/077341

The last decent line up was the Aphex Twin headline year, also it seems the last year Tom Baker booked. They had one bizarre year down in Brockwell Park and have lost the subtlety and nuance of booking that they had before the Festival changed owners.

They've almost flat out stopped booking the alt rock/leftfield/psych/krautrock guitar acts and these fit perfectly with the electronic acts and became a big part of the appeal.

Shame really

Couldn't agree with you more.

I guess I'm not the target market any more but for a few years it was essentially a smaller Primavera Sound with almost as diverse a lineup.

• Upvote 1

It's worth noting Field Day's booking policy changed around the time All Points East arrived on the scene, rather than it being a concious shift towards DJs and clubbier stuff.

It was pretty obvious that APE/Goldenvoice were offering much higher fees to artists/bands that would have been booked at Field Day in previous years. Artists seemed to love playing Field Day and the atmosphere of it, but money talks.

It's also worth noting Field Day was either going to merge with or be replaced by Primavera which was due to launch a London event in 2020. It got as far as festival bookers submitting offers for the event. 

Timing constraints and Broadwicks Drumsheds licencing conditions was a issue. This was all well before covid was about. 

On 3/9/2021 at 12:13 PM, xxialac said:

Primavera Sound 2011 | Cartel festival, FestivalesVery close.

Hard to call.

Admittedly 10 years ago but think I can just about raise you with this one.

£90 in advance...including unlimited free drinks

I was at this!  Was there a Free Drinks loophole?  John Cale in the Auditori, and Belle & Sebastian then Pulp - very magical memories.  Seeing Grinderman also kicked off my love of Nick Cave.  Had never listened to him until then.  I recall the Animal Collective set sounding like a very long sound check...

1 hour ago, Johndenis said:

I was at this!  Was there a Free Drinks loophole?  John Cale in the Auditori, and Belle & Sebastian then Pulp - very magical memories.  Seeing Grinderman also kicked off my love of Nick Cave.  Had never listened to him until then.  I recall the Animal Collective set sounding like a very long sound check...

VIP tickets used to include unlimited free drinks.

Yeah was a hell of a year. Also Mercury Rev doing Deserters Songs at the Poble Espanyol on the Sunday night. Magical.

2 hours ago, xxialac said:

VIP tickets used to include unlimited free drinks.

Yeah was a hell of a year. Also Mercury Rev doing Deserters Songs at the Poble Espanyol on the Sunday night. Magical.

Free drinks, that's nuts.  When did they stop that.  I had a Press Pass in 2012 - 2015.  In 2012 I found a free beer tap in a backstage kind of area near the Ray-Ban.  But I don't think my press pass was supposed to get me access to there as I only got access on the Thursday and Friday and was denied onthe Saturday.  Back in 2011, I queued for Echo and the Bunnymen at Poble Espanyol on Thursday but didn't get in.  So gave it a miss on the Sunday.

22 hours ago, JBarbour said:

It's also worth noting Field Day was either going to merge with or be replaced by Primavera which was due to launch a London event in 2020. It got as far as festival bookers submitting offers for the event. 

Timing constraints and Broadwicks Drumsheds licencing conditions was a issue. This was all well before covid was about. 

Hi, could you explain this please?  Festival bookers as in - bookers acting for bands?  I didn't/don't understand how Primavera London and Primavera LA were intended to operate.  Was Gabi literlaly just licensing the "brand"?  Or sharing his contacts?  I would of thought a big thing about Primavera, and a factor in its success, is the location and venue.

Re Field Day, as others have observed, the psych/noisy guitar bands were pretty appealling to punters like me.  For example, the Warehouse Projects I have enjoyed the best are those which have involved some live bands.  I can't be alone in thinking the almost exclusive focus on DJs diminishes the appeal.

Edited by Johndenis
  • Upvote 2

37 minutes ago, Johndenis said:

Hi, could you explain this please?  Festival bookers as in - bookers acting for bands?  I didn't/don't understand how Primavera London and Primavera LA were intended to operate.  Was Gabi literlaly just licensing the "brand"?  Or sharing his contacts?  I would of thought a big thing about Primavera, and a factor in its success, is the location and venue.

Re Field Day, as others have observed, the psych/noisy guitar bands were pretty appealling to punters like me.  For example, the Warehouse Projects I have enjoyed the best are those which have involved some live bands.  I can't be alone in thinking the almost exclusive focus on DJs diminishes the appeal.

I would guess there's an element of DJs etc., being easy to book at the moment.

I do wonder why it's so popular - but Parklife has gone very much down that route and it's clearly has a large (mostly) younger audience. For me, some of my all time favourite gigs have been electronic acts/knob twiddlers, but there's a huge split between acts that try to differentiate themselves live, and those who let their individuality be subsumed into a generic dance beat.

I've been to see loads of acts that I would happily listen to at home, but in a festival dance tent have been hugely bored.

Edited by bluenova
It sounded like I had my own festival dance tent at home :)

I'm ok to see one knob twiddler as part of a full festival day, especially if accompanied by good visuals, but above all I want to see instruments being played and nice if it's a band with some stage presence too.

It's just not much of a spectacle otherwise. Certainly not one I'd pay the same price as a band-based festival for.

And as for DJs playing other people's music... 

1 hour ago, Johndenis said:

Totally, I think it's down to the bookers lack of vision in seeing how left field guitar bands and electronic acts can fit onto the same  bill.

There's massive crossover, they're just too narrow minded to see it.

5 hours ago, Johndenis said:

When Primavera started expanding into new markets it found partners that run events locally. LA for example is in partnership with Live Nation. The London addition would of been in partnership with Broadwick using their established event and venue. Agents and bookers where putting together a line up but it didn't end up working out for a number of reasons. The main issue was the venue and its licence, a sticking point was the early curfew. 

It would of been a bit like what AEG and Broadwick are doing now with APE and FD. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, RossMacpherson said:

Interesting... 

It looks like Wolf Alice have a tour to announce on Friday possibly. 👀 

https://twitter.com/wolfalicemusic/status/1371899289316818945

Someone mentioned a potential Foals, wolf Alice, everything everything line up and now I really want it. Foals and everything everything recently announced their  rescheduled dates and both would be free this weekend so if wolf Alice is as well it could all lineup to an announcement this weekend or next week 🤞🤞🤞

• Like 1