When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

My father in law got an antigen test in the post this week too. He spoke with his GP and was told that they are conducting random samples across all age ranges/locations/medical histories etc as part of a nationwide market research style study into the number of those currently infected, I believe linked to finding those that are currently infected and asymptomatic.  

Edited by st dan

31 minutes ago, st dan said:

My father in law got an antigen test in the post this week too. He spoke with his GP and was told that they are conducting random samples across all age ranges/locations/medical histories etc as part of a nationwide market research style study into the number of those currently infected, I believe linked to finding those that are currently infected and asymptomatic.  

Ok that explains it then, he apparently had no idea why he’d been sent it. My sister said there was a link you questionnaire you had to fill out as well, so makes sense as far as understanding if somebody is asymptomatic etc.

Also, does it perhaps highlight just how much they were firefighting with any tests that were being done in hospitals previously? I appreciate the people turning up to hospital would’ve been in most cases fairly ill so it makes sense from that point of view. However I would’ve assumed we would still have been trying to use those tests in the most productive way possible and get information from them beyond a positive/negative test result.

4 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

Also, does it perhaps highlight just how much they were firefighting with any tests that were being done in hospitals previously? I appreciate the people turning up to hospital would’ve been in most cases fairly ill so it makes sense from that point of view. However I would’ve assumed we would still have been trying to use those tests in the most productive way possible and get information from them beyond a positive/negative test result.

I guess the only question is what you mean by productive. Yes people need a test who are actively symptomatic to reduce the rate of infection, but if we don’t also do randomised wide spread testing we’re going to be shooting in the dark from a public health perspective . As we have no idea how prevalent the infection is across the U.K and across different demographics. 

2 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

seems to me that wetherspoons are putting indirect pressure on with a we are ready to go message ..https://metro.co.uk/2020/05/22/wetherspoons-reveals-plan-reopen-875-pubs-12742244/?ito=social

As much as i'd love to go to a pub right now, Wetherspoons can fuck right off. Tim Martin especially. 

• Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

seems to me that wetherspoons are putting indirect pressure on with a we are ready to go message ..https://metro.co.uk/2020/05/22/wetherspoons-reveals-plan-reopen-875-pubs-12742244/?ito=social

Does no harm to have restart plans but now government have learnt how the virus spreads from social gatherings it's hard to see a reopening soon. Numerous infections have been linked to large gatherings, workplaces, funerals etc. so without the numbers being infected & deaths coming down significantly it's not going be happening for quite a while.

3 minutes ago, Lycra said:

Does no harm to have restart plans but now government have learnt how the virus spreads from social gatherings it's hard to see a reopening soon. Numerous infections have been linked to large gatherings, workplaces, funerals etc. so without the numbers being infected & deaths coming down significantly it's not going be happening for quite a while.

Oh absolutely ... I’m just intrigued about how much of that is pressure though ... given that he is pally with the government ... and how much of that is one show pub rather than being ready in all of them 

Edited by crazyfool1

14 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

"Under the ‘new normal’ drinkers will be expected to sanatise their hands on arrival and follow one-way systems through the bar where the tills will be screened off to protect staff, who will be provided with PPE including masks, gloves and eye protection."

I was all up for returning to pubs as soon as I am allowed to, but can't say that sounds like much fun.

It’s only really weatherspoons that can probably afford to implement all this and operate like that. For many pubs it just won’t be viable.

That said I don’t see why pubs with large beer gardens couldn’t reopen successfully and just have no seating inside. Obviously it’s weather dependant, but they could invest in a large retractable awning like many have anyway if it was financially viable. They could hire outside toilet blocks as well. The only weak link would be from the staff bringing you your drinks. 

2 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

Oh absolutely ... I’m just intrigued about how much of that is pressure though ... given that he is pally with the government ... and how much of that is one show pub rather than being ready in all of them 

Tim Martin likes to make a big noise and be opinionated. Just like the claims of massive taxes (tarriffs) paid on non-EU wine (9p a litre)

5 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

We have 2 in town and thinking about the size of the outdoor areas they could probably only hold maximum of 4 groups in either ... and one of them is about an 800 capacity ... so not sure that’s really much of a goer ... 

It’s stands to reason it won’t work for a lot of pubs, but it would certainly work for some. There are at least three in my area I could think of that it would work perfectly, one specifically that was recently built and in terms of the bar has about 75% of its seating outside anyway.

Wouldn't the presumption be by then hat you wouldn’t be socially distancing within your groups anyway? So no different to going to the beach right now.

When will this shit end?

It's becoming apparent the covid-19 pandemic is only the opening phase of this shit and there's going to be a lot more to come, I desperately hope I'm wrong though. Economists are uttering the word Depression, something much bigger than a Recession. Already we've seen a big spike in Universal Credit claims and I fear there will be many more job losses to come as businesses bite the bullet and downsize to fit the new reality. Here Staffs/Derbys over 11,000 job losses have been announced in the last week. These will have severe effects on other sectors such as associated  suppliers, housebuilders, local shops......and when they open......pubs

9 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Pubs in central London would be fucked. Hardly any have beer gardens beyond a tiny smoking area at best.

Yeah of course, most of them would be fucked. Off the top of my head though, there are a few like the ship in Wandsworth that have huge outside areas, generally a lot of the pubs along the river are naturally geared towards the outside.

Its difficult, obviously it’s shit for the small ones without any teal outside space, but does that mean the ones with a decent outdoor area should be able to open just because they couldn’t?

Edited by Deaf Nobby Burton

26 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

We have 2 in town and thinking about the size of the outdoor areas they could probably only hold maximum of 4 groups in either ... and one of them is about an 800 capacity ... so not sure that’s really much of a goer ... 

To respect 2m distancing our local Spoons beer garden could accommodate 2 groups of 2.  Will we see a queue of potential drinkers snaking down the High Street this summer 🤔    🤣

6 minutes ago, Lycra said:

To respect 2m distancing our local Spoons beer garden could accommodate 2 groups of 2.  Will we see a queue of potential drinkers snaking down the High Street this summer 🤔    🤣

I think the atmosphere might be better in many peoples back gardens ... although arguably it might be before restrictions ... :) 

Edited by crazyfool1

25 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

Yeah of course, most of them would be fucked. Off the top of my head though, there are a few like the ship in Wandsworth that have huge outside areas, generally a lot of the pubs along the river are naturally geared towards the outside.

Its difficult, obviously it’s shit for the small ones without any teal outside space, but does that mean the ones with a decent outdoor area should be able to open just because they couldn’t?

What I wouldn't give for an afternoon here this bank holiday weekend. 

• Upvote 1

54 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

I think the atmosphere might be better in many peoples back gardens ... although arguably it might be before restrictions ... :) 

Defo would be.....Just read Wetherspoons plans. Safety screens all over, between tables, staff in goggles, staff constantly cleaning doors etc. Drinking in what amounts to a quarantine unit has zero appeal. Think we'll be giving it a miss.

Edited by Lycra

1 hour ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

Having been to The Ship a few times in my youth they would have to severely regulate the numbers. That places gets insanely busy in the summer.