When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

1 minute ago, zahidf said:

Maybe, but london has less infections now at 17%

I’m not sure how this works but weren’t they quoting a 80% rate for that to happen ? Surely the less infections is a result of lockdown and working from home ? 

10 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

I’m not sure how this works but weren’t they quoting a 80% rate for that to happen ? Surely the less infections is a result of lockdown and working from home ? 

My understanding is that 80% is for effective full immunity - you can open society all the way back up, not when you start seeing the R0 affected by there being some immunity in the population.  I'm completely unsurprised that 17% would have a noticeable effect. 

1 minute ago, stuartbert two hats said:

My understanding is that 80% is for effective full immunity - you can open society all the way back up, not when you start seeing the R0 affected by there being some immunity in the population.  I'm completely unsurprised that 17% would have a noticeable effect. 

But 5% little effect ... 

Just now, crazyfool1 said:

But 5% little effect ... 

Yeah - I don't think it's a linear relationship, it's more logarithmic - I think.  You'll get a very small influence on the R0 from 5%, so 15% -20%will have more than 3-4 times the effect.  More of a curve.

Not sure if I'm explaining this very well, or if I'm right.  But it feels right to my gut what we're seeing.

8 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

17% in London and 5% everywhere else?

So, Birmingham at 5%, Glasgow at 5%, Preston at 5%, St Albans at 5%,  Isle of Skye at 5%?

Well, 5% average for the rest of the country. Theyll have more details regional breakdowns soon I'm sure.

I'm sure toilet duck will have a better explanation  than me, but the higher the infections and antibodies, the less spread of the virus. So whilst London doesnt have a R of 0, it's small enough with that high immunity (plus with social distancing) to reduce the infection rate even further 

From The Guardian:

Robbie Savage, former footballer and a columnist from the Daily Mirror, goes next.

Q: Why are young people who play the working class game of football not able to train, when people can play sport like tennis?

Hancock says he understands why people want to play football. But the rules are in place so we can get a grip of the virus.

Q: Why are some governing bodies allowing one-on-one coaching with under-18s, but not football?

Whitty says he understands the point. 

He says the scientists were very confident that doing things outdoors is safer than indoors.

He says you can play some sports and keep to the two-metre rule. But football is a contact sport, he says. So football is a bigger risk.

He says the experts have had to think about what the reproduction rate for the infection has to be for this to be safe.

Q: So what is the pathway to grassroots football being allowed to restart? Will we have to wait for a vaccine?

Hancock says he very much hopes not.

Whitty says his expectation is that a vaccine before next year on a widespread basis is very unlikely. He says there may have to be some changes to the way football is played. But he hopes football can be played. Outdoors is safer than indoors.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Polls last weekend shows Starmer net higher poll lead than Johnson, which is the first time in years a Labour leader has polled higher. All polls I've seen in the last week shows Labour making small gains on the Tories too.

6 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

Polls last weekend shows Starmer net higher poll lead than Johnson, which is the first time in years a Labour leader has polled higher. All polls I've seen in the last week shows Labour making small gains on the Tories too.

Next election  is in 4 years. Doesnt really matter...