When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

8 minutes ago, gizmoman said:

My point was that the decline in vaccination rates was exacerbated by the withdrawal of the single jabs, the info on MMR may have been wrong but parents weren't willing to take the risk, they weren't hardcore anti-vaxxers, they were just frightened. The paper linked by Danmarks actually analyses this whole affair from a PR point of view, it's pretty interesting.

http://scholar.google.co.uk/scholar_url?url=https://psandman.com/articles/BurgessLeask.pdf&hl=en&sa=X&ei=dJ6hX9ONNoy0ygSOh6DoDA&scisig=AAGBfm0VYkhuZahcy5VhxCPxAILwKKE_Mg&nossl=1&oi=scholarr

I do understand parents being afraid, I wouldn’t want to put my own child at risk if I could help it. The PR failure was a failure to convincingly undo the damage Wakefield did in the first place and communicating that there was no difference in risk between the triple jab and the single one. From a public health perspective, ignoring two other diseases that have significant morbidity associated with them as a means to undo the damage is a poor solution. Part of the PR probably needs to address the inherent disagreement that forms a very fundamental part of how science is conducted. It can be hard to know who to believe when different experts actually disagree (and often they are experts, not quacks). But thankfully, we have systematic reviews that objectively weigh up all the evidence (whatever direction it points in) and these give us a definitive answer. But the public at large is mostly unaware of which studies are important and which ones have yet to be confirmed (and scientists themselves have to take some blame here as self promotion and over-interpretation of results feed the egos of those involved and contribute to the confusion...it’s basically unethical when it leads to serious consequences). There’s a broader discussion to be had on building trust and how science is communicated (most of us aren’t experts at it! We do try to include it in our training programmes to help though). 

14 minutes ago, Gilgamesh69 said:

Makes me sad to think around this time of year this place should be full of predictions and rumours for the next Glasto, with hopefully an announcement on the horizon. Instead we've got hundreds of pages of this :(

Yeah, Download announced 17 more bands last week and normally I’d be praising the good bookings of the bands I like and checking out the ones i hadn’t heard of.

Instead I gave a general shrug as deep down I can’t see it happening:

2 minutes ago, parsonjack said:

Yesterday's testing figures.....they seem to publish a day in arrears at present.

So I've always been confused about this. Cause I thought the test figures were always a day in arrears, but are the test figures for yesterday not the ones showing the positives cases today? - 

8 minutes ago, ace56blaa said:

image.thumb.png.d92a3502376bb7e116b9a84125544bac.pngOh Jesus, Those testing figures are so low, and those deaths, tragic

This seems like they ramps up figures for show for the october deadline and now they've just dropped again suspicious what is going on?

It seems to me that the slight drop in cases is due to the drop in testing. Even so 20k new cases is still a lot. 

3 minutes ago, Mark E. Spliff said:

Believe it or not, I have genuine sympathy.  Realising you've made a cock-up after pressing 'send' always seems disproportionately frustrating - I hate it.

There are websites like 'newser' that provide concise summaries of news stories.  Might be worth a look.

you mean the corbyn bashing guardian article?

1 minute ago, Ozanne said:

It seems to me that the slight drop in cases is due to the drop in testing. Even so 20k new cases is still a lot. 

surely a drop in testing isn't always a bad thing though ? if the ability to test remains ..... 20k is that plateux we discussed several days back .... obviously too high but things will have to hit a level/peak before they drop .... 

2 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

surely a drop in testing isn't always a bad thing though ? if the ability to test remains ..... 20k is that plateux we discussed several days back .... obviously too high but things will have to hit a level/peak before they drop .... 

It was up around 24k last week and has dipped slightly down to the 20k level in the last couple of days.

I mean that the drop in cases has also coincided with the amount of tests being done dropping too, which could be a reason for case numbers falling.

Just now, Ozanne said:

It was up around 24k last week and has dipped slightly down to the 20k level in the last couple of days.

I mean that the drop in cases has also coincided with the amount of tests being done dropping too, which could be a reason for case numbers falling.

it could also be a drop due to fewer people requiring to be tested is the point I was trying to make but maybe not clearly ...

1 minute ago, crazyfool1 said:

it could also be a drop due to fewer people requiring to be tested is the point I was trying to make but maybe not clearly ...

yeah, cases could be dropping...we do have more restrictions in place now. Just have to see what happens with numbers in hospitals with covid in a week or two.

5 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

I’m not sure there’s suddenly 20k less people after tests in 1 day.

Edit, make that 60k in less in a day. 

Edited by Ozanne