When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

2 minutes ago, ace56blaa said:

Okay i take that i'm completely wrong here, I still question why so much of what giz posts is trying to explain away the seriousness of the situation we are in. 

- Also someone just posted the false positive rate is more likely  closer to 0.04 than 0.8 so deffo a smaller issue than being made out. Though I admit I was quick to dismiss it and wrongly label as conspiracy. But I just saw a pattern and have been seeing so much conspiracy recently

That's why conspiracy theories take hold, they're often the basis of a lot of thought and often do contain some grains of truth that you've not considered - even if the conclusions tend to involve some wild leap. 

I highly recommend that More Or Less episode I posted, I spend several minutes being sure I didn't understand it at all, but they explained it lots of different ways and eventually it clicked. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, ace56blaa said:

Okay i take that i'm completely wrong here, I still question why so much of what giz posts is trying to explain away the seriousness of the situation we are in. 

- Also someone just posted the false positive rate is more likely  closer to 0.04 than 0.8 so deffo a smaller issue than being made out. Though I admit I was quick to dismiss it and wrongly label as conspiracy. But I just saw a pattern and have been seeing so much conspiracy recently

well...I find it annoying too...but all opinions are welcome, right...?

1 minute ago, stuartbert two hats said:

That's why conspiracy theories take hold, they're often the basis of a lot of thought and often do contain some grains of truth that you've not considered - even if the conclusions tend to involve some wild leap. 

I highly recommend that More Or Less episode I posted, I spend several minutes being sure I didn't understand it at all, but they explained it lots of different ways and eventually it clicked. 

I will listen to that. The presenter, Tim Harford,  was a guest on podcast Politics on the couch presented by Rafael Behr...you should check that out...

Oh man Boris just said in the same statement, "We are doing all we can to save every job.......but we can't save every job" - They really have no intention of helping people do they, or are so deluded that they think they can get everyone new fancy shiny job building shit that'll we'll definitely need when millions are homeless/ jobless

1 minute ago, ace56blaa said:

Oh man Boris just said in the same statement, "We are doing all we can to save every job.......but we can't save every job" - They really have no intention of helping people do they, or are so deluded that they think they can get everyone new fancy shiny job building shit that'll we'll definitely need when millions are homeless/ jobless

I guess they hope people will retrain for new jobs...but in short term there will likely be a lot of pain.

9 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

I second this, it's always excellent. The presenter Tim Harford also has an excellent podcast called cautionary tales which is fascinating: https://timharford.com/articles/cautionarytales/

5 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

I guess they hope people will retrain for new jobs...but in short term there will likely be a lot of pain.

The job training scheme doesn't start till April though, there's 6 months now where there aren't jobs available for all the people that will need them and Gov support is reducing. What should we expect though, it's not like the Tories were ever going to actually care about people long term.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Just now, Fuzzy Afro said:

They should extend furlough for certain sectors but with the caveat that those furloughed don’t just get to sit at home, and instead get drafted in to help with the covid effort (e.g. they can take shopping to people who are self-isolating) 

yep absolutely .... theres plenty of jobs that could be involved in helping keep people safe too ... and the economy moving .... 

5 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

Another important aspect of this is why is a constituent of the Chancellors constituency emailing Keir Starmer and not his actual MP Rishi Sunak? This constituent obviously feels he'll get more help and support from an opposition MP than his own actual MP.

A slight correction to this, the constituent did email Rishi Sunak but got no response so emailed the Leader of the Opposition. It's still very telling.

10 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

They should extend furlough for certain sectors but with the caveat that those furloughed don’t just get to sit at home, and instead get drafted in to help with the covid effort (e.g. they can take shopping to people who are self-isolating) 

I would be all for this! - I'd love to help more people in need, if the government can create roles for unemployed people to assist in the national effort beyond their track and trace volunteer scheme which fell apart, that would be incredible, as the jobs/roles their would be temporary and jobs would be protected

20 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

The job training scheme doesn't start till April though, there's 6 months now where there aren't jobs available for all the people that will need them and Gov support is reducing. What should we expect though, it's not like the Tories were ever going to actually care about people long term.

To be fair, they'll likely be caring for their wealthy mates long term

2 minutes ago, Mr.Tease said:

To be fair, they'll likely be caring for their wealthy mates long term

"Bojo, The pandemic has meant I might have to sell my third home, can you throw me some gov money"
"We can't just give away money Dido."
"Just kidding how about you "run" track and trace"

1 minute ago, steviewevie said:

I don't know...they don't want massive unemployment before the next election, especially in those northern red wall areas.

Well they are going to get mass unemployment - Especially in red wall northern areas which are under tighter restrictions. - I'm not sure the current government ministers actually care if they make it to the next election. Seem to be lining their pockets and stripping the government before they retire from politics - Like does it seem like any of the conservative main body of ministers actually wants to be here, other than for the money. 

51 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

Remember when all those hundreds of thousands of people signed up to the nhs volunteer helper scheme at the start of this in March? 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/world/2020/may/03/nhs-coronavirus-crisis-volunteers-frustrated-at-lack-of-tasks

After balls up after balls up, what makes you think they could even begin to organise a system whereby people are forced to volunteer while on furlough, when they couldn't even assign enough tasks to those that actively volunteered? 

I think if you're furloughed and can afford to (a lot can't as the loss of 20% earnings is significant) you're better off spending the time re-training or doing a course, but it's not always that simple. I could as there was a relatively straightforward course I could do to switch to working online in future, but a lot of people don't have such a simple way to convert their work. 

Edited by Mr.Tease

39 minutes ago, ace56blaa said:

I quoted Hancock because he has stated the less than 1% figure, if it was less than 0.1% i'm sure he would have said. (not that I believe a word he says!) My posts are at odds with what most on here think, in my view the reaction to this has been far in excess of what was needed, in short, the cure is worse than the disease, there is a tendency on this thread to micro analyse the daily figures, graphs etc. and it's easy to get an inflated fear of the disease and ignore all the other problems the lockdowns and restrictions are causing. We need to look at the bigger picture and the long term harm being done (health & economy) I'm not particularly concerned for my own situation, but I am worried for my kids future and the future for society in general, particularly civil liberties, the government have passed a law which gives them far more powers than is necessary to deal with this problem and they now cannot be held to account by either their own MPs or the public via protest. Once governments take on new powers they are usually loath to let them go. Am I paranoid? Maybe, but as they saying goes, just because you're paranoid, doesn't mean they're not after you!

1 minute ago, ace56blaa said:

Well they are going to get mass unemployment - Especially in red wall northern areas which are under tighter restrictions. - I'm not sure the current government ministers actually care if they make it to the next election. Seem to be lining their pockets and stripping the government before they retire from politics - Like does it seem like any of the conservative main body of ministers actually wants to be here, other than for the money. 

they want power, and radical change...maybe not Johnson, but Cummings, Gove, Patel, Raab etc.

Anyway, we'll see. With this and brexit 2021 could be very messy.

2 minutes ago, ace56blaa said:

The very definition of a career politician, no?