When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

1 minute ago, zahidf said:

within that it says "Lift almost all restrictions" with a "current plans" date of 23 September, and an "Accelerated scenario" date of 15 May.

For what those dates mean it says 

The scenarios developed here suggest that, barring new strains of the virus, life could be largely back to normal by September under the government’s current plans for vaccine distribution. But normality could return in May under TBI’s accelerated vaccine rollout plan. The economic benefits of accelerating rollout are significant since it would mean being able to lift heavy restrictions sooner.

2 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

within that it says "Lift almost all restrictions" with a "current plans" date of 23 September, and an "Accelerated scenario" date of 15 May.

If anything I think those dates could be out by a couple of months. We could normality in the summer (or very close to it) and then some restrictions brought back in the Autumn as winter draws in and schools go back. 

8 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

Could 'almost all' and 'largely back to normal' not be taken to mean normal life, just no mass events though? Mass events are fun but they are rarely critical to normal functioning of society.

19 minutes ago, xxialac said:

Could 'almost all' and 'largely back to normal' not be taken to mean normal life, just no mass events though? Mass events are fun but they are rarely critical to normal functioning of society.

I dont think social distancing will be considered as things being back to normal. Hand washing and mask wearing will probably be the most likely long lasting restrictions 

19 minutes ago, xxialac said:

what's a 'mass event' tho?

The numbers aren't actually relevant, because it's not like everyone is in close contact with everyone. 

Which ultimately means a large wedding of say 200 people might have more cross-infections than Glastonbury for 200,000 people.

17 minutes ago, xxialac said:

Mass events are 'normal' else you are redefining normal!

There is more than hope here. Barring a disastrous covid mutation we are on track to seeing live music events of all sizes indoors & outdoors this summer.

30 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

Once supply improves in March/April, I can see an accelerated rollout being the govt policy.

2 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

what's a 'mass event' tho?

The numbers aren't actually relevant, because it's not like everyone is in close contact with everyone. 

Which ultimately means a large wedding of say 200 people might have more cross-infections than Glastonbury for 200,000 people.

I normally agree with pretty much everything you write but that's a bit unrealistic.

200,000 people over 5 days versus 200 people for 1 day?

And there's plenty of close contact and general mingling at both.

Does anyone's mood currently go from massive peaks to massive troughs with almost no inbetween?

I currently find my mood literally going from "we could potentially have a festival and pub beers this summer" to "this shit is never going to end" on a near hourly basis.

All based on stuff I read on here / see in the news.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, xxialac said:

I normally agree with pretty much everything you write but that's a bit unrealistic.

I picked a wedding as it's quite possible that everyone will huge and kiss each other, and one person could infect everyone.

Maybe 200 against 200,000 is a bit off for a comparison, but one infected person at Glastonbury is very unlikely to infect anything like the same while most people wouldn't come close to someone who was infected if infection levels were like last summer's low.

2 minutes ago, xxialac said:

Yes, I agree mass events are normal.

But the report doesn't say 'normal'. It says 'largely back to normal' (which means not quite normal).

Yeah it's a bit vague, I'm sure to some people last summer we were largely back to normal.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

Does anyone's mood currently go from massive peaks to massive troughs with almost no inbetween?

I currently find my mood literally going from "we could potentially have a festival and pub beers this summer" to "this shit is never going to end" on a near hourly basis.

yeah a little. I have breaks from the news and here occasionally which helps!

5 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

I'm doing ok with this lockdown...loving not having to go into the office...but getting a bit of cabin fever stuck at home with the family all the time...and can't wait to go to a pub/cafe/cinema...and can't wait to see some friends and family....but overall I'm ok with it...because I can see it ending over the next few months.

9 minutes ago, xxialac said:

But how many people would those infected people at Glastonbury come into contact with between Wednesday-Sunday if they didn’t go to Glastonbury? It’s really just perception when it comes to events. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, xxialac said:

But the report doesn't say 'normal'. It says 'largely back to normal' (which means not quite normal).

everyone seems to agree that some more minor measures are likely to remain for at least a while - say, for example. masks.

But that still leaves of unanswered questions. Masks could be required the same as now, or or they might remain for (say) just public transport.

Given that the driver to open things up will be economic, I think the public transport example is going to be closer to what happens because it doesn't really alter anyone's behaviour and cause an economic impact, while mask wearing for fun things would do.

9 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

Absolutely ... I’ve got the highest fluctuations in the % will it happen thread ... the corona coaster is very real